Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Who do we think that we are?
10/3/2010 1:57:49 AM

My mother's family was Irish-Catholic.

My father's family were farm people, another set of old rules, he converted to Catholicism to marry my mom. I don't know his former religion? Church. Some sort of every Sunday church he was raised on.

My father's rule was, we all had to go to church every Sunday as long as we lived in his house, I did until I was almost 20, sat between my parents in St. Matthew's Catholic church in Conshohocken, PA. In the 4th pew from the front.

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/3/2010 9:20:16 AM

Kathleen,

Thank you for your reply.

I agree with what you say. Your contribution goes a long way to understanding our human frailties which none of us are totally free of.

Roger

+0
La Nell !

3647 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/24/2010 7:38:36 PM
Hi Roger. I was raised in the Episcopal Church. I know that the first Church is in Canterbury,England. It is very much like the Catholic service. I heard that King Henry started it because he wanted a divorce. My ancestors came from England and Ireland. Roger, look in your phone book. Do you see my family names Billington and Younger? They migrated to Louisiana at New Orleans port on a ship. The graves date back to 1812. LaNell
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/25/2010 7:46:32 AM

Quote:
Hi Roger. I was raised in the Episcopal Church. I know that the first Church is in Canterbury,England. It is very much like the Catholic service. I heard that King Henry started it because he wanted a divorce. My ancestors came from England and Ireland. Roger, look in your phone book. Do you see my family names Billington and Younger? They migrated to Louisiana at New Orleans port on a ship. The graves date back to 1812. LaNell

I took a look. There are seven Billingtons and four Youngers in our local area book.

Old Henry VIII has a lot to answer for.

The Church of England has real real problems. Many are converting to Catholisizm. The hardest thing they have to take is that they can't accept the infalibility of the Pope.

Roger

+0
La Nell !

3647 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/25/2010 5:01:54 PM
Thank you Roger. Those names are not common here. I have been thinking strongly about converting to the Catholic faith because I like the Virgin Mary statues,confession,the nuns and Pope etc and I am dating a Catholic man. LaNell
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!