Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Chunky Spinach Dip
4/22/2010 8:19:16 PM

Hi Myrna,

Although raw spinach is an extremely popular leafy substance which I've often used in salads, most experts suggest eating your Spinach cooked whenever possible. It seems, at least according to what I've read, cooking seems to make the nutrients and anti-oxidant carotenoids found in Spinach easier for our bodies to absorb.

As far as using it in the Dip, that would seem to just be a matter of taste. For me personally, I think that I would at least steam the Spinach before adding it.

I generally like to remove the stems of spinach by hand before cooking, a bit tedious, but worth it in the end. Try steaming the freshly washed and stemmed spinach by placing the spinach with it's clinging water droplets into a large pot or wok. Cover and cook, stirring regularly. Generally, the water on the leaves is enough to steam cook the spinach. You can also cook spinach in a steamer over boiling water for 5-8 minutes. When finished, you can complete the process in a number of different ways. Garlic, freshly cracked black pepper, and olive oil are favorites. If the spinach is to be used later in a more complex dish, you may want to blanch it in a large amount of water just until it wilts, then submerge in ice water to preserve its color.

Hope this helps answer your questions my Friend.

Have A Terrific Day,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/23/2010 3:48:26 AM
Hi Phil,

I knew I could depend on you for an answer, yes this answers my question. Thank you.

Donna,

Thanks for the use of your forum to correspond with Phil. I hope this is helpful to you too.

Hugs,
Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/23/2010 4:50:03 AM

Hi Phil and Myrna,

As two of my good friends on Adlandpro, you certainly are welcome to use my forum to correspond! Yes, the information provided was helpful.

Phil,

I cannot seem to find raw baby spinach in my stores. They only have the large spinach leaves. On her cooking show, Rachel Ray recommends the baby spinach, too.

DonnaZ

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/23/2010 7:07:08 PM

Hi Donna & Myrna,

Myrna, glad that answered your questions.

Donna, it's quite often difficult to find raw Baby Spinach leaves around here as well. Around here in NC, at least, Spinach is sold either loose, bunched, in prepackaged bags, canned, or frozen. I generally use the fresh-frozen prepackaged bags, usually 10 oz bags. Unfortunately, fresh Spinach loses much of its nutritional value with storage of more than a few days. While refrigeration can slow this effect to perhaps about eight days, the Spinach will still lose most of its folate and carotenoid content, so for longer storage it should be either frozen, cooked and frozen, or canned. Storage in the freezer can be for up to eight months.

As a point of fact, most all frozen vegetables actually have more nutrients than fresh unless you grow them yourself, or purchase them from a local grower. They go directly from the field to be blanched and aren't stored as long as fresh. It doesn't seem like it would be true but it is.

This is one of the best spinach dishes I've ever tasted. It's a great choice as a holiday side dish or at anytime.

Spinach Soufflé

Ingredients:

• 1 bag (16 oz) frozen chopped spinach
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup flour (all-purpose)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoon very finely chopped onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, fresh is best
  • 3 large eggs, separated
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Preparation:

Thaw spinach in a colander; squeeze well to get as much moisture as possible out. Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a 1-quart souffle or casserole dish.

Heat butter in a saucepan over medium low heat. When butter has melted, add flour; stir until smooth and bubbling. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. When mixture is thick and boiling, remove from heat. Stir in the finely chopped onion, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and the nutmeg.

In a metal or glass mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks have formed. In a separate bowl, beat yolks until frothy and lemon colored.

Stir egg yolks into the sauce mixture; stir in the spinach.

Stir about 1/4 of the beaten egg whites into the spinach mixture, then gently fold in the remaining egg white mixture.

Pour into the prepared souffle dish; set dish in a large pan then add water to a depth of about 1 inch.

Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. The top will be lightly browned. Serve immediately.

Have A Terrific Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/23/2010 7:11:16 PM

I agree with Myrna on fixing this dip containing frozen spinach. I've made the "Knoors" famous spinach dip 50 times.... lol. All you have to do is unthaw and squeeze out the water. I would not heat or sautee it.

Sounds like a yummy recipe Donna. I love dips.

THANK YOU PHIL for those healthier crackers. Made from nuts?? I haven't heard of them before. I'll look for them in the stores.

Thanks my food friends. You are all good!!!

Pat

Quote:
Oh Boy Donna and Phil, it do sound sooooooooo good.
Thanks Phil for the nutty crackers.

Question: Why would you have to cook the frozen spinach, why not just use it just thawed. Every time it is cooked you lose more value in your food.

Hugs,
Myrna

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!