Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Boy Scout Dinner
3/9/2010 3:18:31 PM

Hi Donna & Myrna,

Somehow I missed this Thread. Don't know exactly how, but I'm never too busy to swap Recipes with a couple of my Favorite Friends. I appreciate you both for visiting Papa's Kitchen and sharing some good Recipes with our Friends.

Myrna, I used to think that none of my wives could cook, until I stopped one day and realized that I was being unfair to them. I was comparing them to my Momma's and my Grandmother's cooking, and that was wrong, since I'm sure that their cooking wasn't really near as fantastic as I remembered it was. Memories can be strange that way sometimes. Anyway, I learned from the best.

I never was a Boy Scout, however my Nephews were, so I stole a few recipes from listening to them. I combined a couple of ideas and came up with this. This is for a deep 12 inch cast iron dutch oven. Amounts are approximate, use whatever size cake mix and pie filling you have, and you can easily double the recipe for bigger crowds. I burned mine in about 10 minutes the first time I tried, so BE SURE TO CHECK IT OFTEN!

Dutch Oven Campfire Cobbler

Ingredients

• 1 (18 1/4 oz) box yellow cake mix or white cake mix
  • 1/2 c butter or margarine

• 2 (21 oz) cans fruit pie filling (I use Peach usually, but several varieties will work just as well.)
  • cinnamon, to taste
  • 25 charcoal, briquettes (at least)

Directions

1. Place dutch oven over approximately 15 charcoal briquettes or over coals on a flat spot in the fire ring.

2. Empty pie filling into Dutch oven.

3. Spread dry cake mix on top of pie filling and spread evenly. Sprinkle with cinnamon to taste.

4. Cut butter or margarine into even sized pieces and arrange on top.

5. Put lid on dutch oven and arrange 10 hot charcoal briquettes in a checkerboard pattern on top or scatter hot coals over lid.

6. Bake until done (this could be anywhere from 10 to 45 minutes depending on how hot your fire/coals are).

Have A Terrific Day My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/9/2010 4:47:46 PM
Hi Donna,

Told you Phil would be here. I know that makes you happy.
Phil, I would have sworn you were a boy scout. What is this about wives, how many did you have or have or whatever. lol

Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/9/2010 10:28:38 PM

Hi Myrna,

Actually I have been married three times, once to a Blonde, once to a Brunete and once to a Redhead. As I said, I used to drink just a bit. Now before you get me wrong, I was never a Mean Drunk, I was a Loving Drunk. Unfortunately, none of my wives could ever understand me loving all those other women too.

Seriously though, I quit drinking in 1983. Coincidentally, my last Marraige also ended in 1983. I always explain to folks that I'm not sure if I was drinking too much because I was married, or if I kept getting Married, because I drank too much. Anyway, I just quit both at the same time.

You all do know that Adam and Eve had the Ideal marriage. He didn't have to hear about all the men she could have married, and she didn't have to hear about the way his mother cooked.

Myrna, I thought that I'd met my match the other day when a young lady came up to me, hugged my neck and said, "Honey you look just like my Third Husband."

I quickly replied, "Well Sweetie, I appreciate it. By the way, how many times y'all been married?"

"Twice", she said.

Needless to say, I ran!

Have A Happy Day My Friends & Keep Smiling,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/10/2010 6:06:16 AM

The cobbler sounds good, Phil. Thanks for including your link for your recipe forum. I couldn't find it the last time I posted. I wanted to make sure when friends stop by my recipe exchange that they see you have one too.

DonnaZ

+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/10/2010 6:07:23 AM

Hi Myrna,

Phil got our message about stopping by and that is good! Thank you for being such a good friend to both of us.

DonnaZ

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!