Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Turkey Cutlets
2/14/2010 3:35:17 PM

Hi Donna,

Thanks for the Forum. I love sharing Recipes.

Myrna, I'm not sure which Recipe you're referring to because most of the ones I did at New Years were for Black-eyed Peas. As far as my Pinto Beans, I use a mixture of Dried Beans, Half Pinto and Half Great Northern (White) Beans. I wash and sort them thoroughly, since you never know what you might find in Dried Beans, then I soak them overnight, just barely covered with water. Rinse thoroughly before cooking. Never use the soaking water for cooking. Then proceed as follows...

PINTO BEANS IN A CROCK POT

3 c. picked and washed pinto beans
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. dry minced onion
1/2 lb. diced bacon or 3 tbsp. bacon drippings

Place washed beans in a crock pot and cover with water to within 4 inches from the top. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, and minced onion. Stir to mix. Add bacon and cover. Cook on high for 1 hour and then reduce to low for 4 or more hours. I cook my Beans over night on low. Of course, I serve them with chopped Onions & Skillet Corn Bread.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Wishing You All A Very Happy Valentines Day,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/15/2010 12:54:22 AM
HI Phil,

So I don' know what beans are what. I did mean the Black-eyed beans. I am sorry. You know what you are talking about, huh! I f you could send the recipe for the black-eyed beans I would be most grateful.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/15/2010 1:58:53 AM

Hi Donna & Myrna,

Hope this is what you're looking for, 'cause both Pintos and Blackeyed Peas are delicious, but they are fixed quite differently.

A Traditional Southern Style New Years Day Meal

A New Year's Day Dinner, with skillet cornbread, easy seasoned mustard greens, spicy black-eyed peas, hot cooked rice, and a wonderful peach upside-down cake. Enjoy this delicious meal, sure to bring you good luck in the coming year.

Spicy Southern Black-Eyed Peas

Use salt pork or hog jowl in this delicious traditional New Year's Day dish, also known as Hoppin' John. Black-eyed peas, along with greens and cornbread, are eaten on New Year's Day for good luck throughout the year.
Ingredients
  • 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
  • 4 ounces salt pork, rind removed, diced, or thick bacon or hog jowl, diced
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 to 2 cups diced cooked ham
  • 2 ribs celery, diced
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, diced, optional
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, diced, optional
  • 1 tablespoon Creole or Cajun seasoning mixture
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • ground hot pepper, optional, to taste

Preparation

Following package directions, soak the black-eyed peas overnight or cover with water, boil for 2 minutes, then let stand for 1 hour. Drain.

Meanwhile, in a small skillet, sauté the diced salt pork with onion until onion is browned.

Combine salt pork and onions with the drained peas and remaining ingredients; Add water just to cover. Simmer for about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until tender, checking and adding a little more water if necessary. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Serve with hot boiled rice, spinach or other greens, and freshly baked skillet cornbread.

Serves 6 to 8.

Hot Boiled Rice

• 2-quart saucepan
  • water
  • salt
  • 1 cup long-grained rice
  • Preparation
    In a 2-quart saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, bring 2 cups of water seasoned with about 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a rolling boil.

1. Pour in 1 cup of long-grain rice.
    2. Reduce heat to low.
    3. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Do not stir.
    4. Remove from heat and leave covered until serving time.
    5. Fluff with a fork just before serving.
    6. This will make about 4 servings.

Tips

1. If your rice is done but there's excess water, drain using a colander.
    2. For flavored rice, use chicken, vegetable, or other broth in place of the liquid.

Quick and Easy Mustard Greens

Tasty mustard greens are made with frozen mustard greens. Use less bacon and add some leftover diced ham, if you'd like to have the smoked ham flavor.
    Ingredients
    • 10 to 12 slices bacon, diced
    • 1 cup chopped onion
    • 16 ounces frozen mustard greens
    • water
    • diced cooked ham, optional
    • 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, seasoned salt, or salt, or to taste
    • dash red pepper, optional
    • dash black pepper, to taste
    • 1 to 2 tablespoons butter

Preparation

Cook bacon just until almost crisp; add onion and sauté until onion is tender and bacon is crisp.

Put chopped mustard greens in a medium saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes. Add bacon and onion, along with ham, if using. Toss with seasonings and butter to taste.
    Serves 4 to 6.

Delicious Buttermilk Cornbread

This is one of my favorite recipes for skillet cornbread, Southern-style. It's a must with a New Year's Day dinner, and it's a tradition for many with chili, pinto beans, soups, greens, and other delicious Southern meals.
    Ingredients
    • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    • 2 1/2 cups white cornmeal
    • 1 cup all-purpose flour
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 cup buttermilk
    • 1 cup low-fat milk
    • 2 large eggs
    • 2 to 3 tablespoons melted butter

Preparation

Preheat oven to 400°.Add about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to a 10-inch seasoned iron skillet; place in oven.
    In a mixing bowl, combine the meal, flour, salt, baking powder and soda.

In another bowl, whisk buttermilk and milk with eggs and melted butter. Gradually fold milk mixture into dry ingredients, folding and mixing just until all dry ingredients are moist.

Using oven mitts or potholders, carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven; swirl slightly so oil coats sides of pan. Pour batter into the skillet then return to oven. Reduce heat to 350°. Bake cornbread for 35 to 45 minutes, until it pulls away from sides of pan and is lightly browned.
    Cut into squares or wedges.

Peach and Coconut Upside-Down Cake

This cake is absolutely delicious. Serve the cake warm, with or without a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and expect plenty of "oohs" and "aahs." Once you carefully invert the hot cake onto a serving platter, try not to move it again. It is no less delicious, but it will probably break up if you try to move the whole cake or a very large portion of it.
    Ingredients
    • 1 large can or jar (24 to 29 ounces) peach slices in light or regular syrup
    • 8 tablespoons butter (4 ounces)
    • 3/4 cup brown sugar
    • 2 tablespoon reserved syrup from peaches
    • 1 to 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
    • 1/2 cup butter, softened (4 ounces)
    • 1 cup granulated sugar
    • 2 large eggs
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla
    • 2 cups all-purpose flour (stir lightly before measuring)
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 cup milk

Preparation

Drain peaches, reserving 2 tablespoons of the syrup. Melt the 8 tablespoons butter in a 9-inch square baking pan. Stir in brown sugar, reserved syrup, and coconut. Spread to evenly cover bottom. Arrange peach slices, cut side up, over coconut mixture.

In mixing bowl, beat 1/2 cup softened butter until light. Beat in granulated sugar until fluffy. Add eggs; blend well. Blend in vanilla.
    Into another bowl, measure flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually beat dry ingredients into the first mixture, alternating with milk. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Spoon batter evenly over peaches then spread to cover. Bake at 350° for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out with no cake batter clinging. Cool in pan for 5 to 8 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. To invert onto saving plate; gently run a knife along sides so no cake will cling to sides of pan, then cover the cake pan with the serving plate. Using pot holders and both hands, carefully turn the whole thing over so the cake will easily drop onto the plate in one piece. It might still be a little messy and gooey, so you could keep a cookie sheet on your work area until the cake is safely on the platter. Slice and serve warm, with whipped topping or ice cream if desired.
    Serves 6 to 8.

Have A Blessed Sunday My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
    +0
    Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 25 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    2/15/2010 2:07:07 AM
    Hi Donna,
    I am having Phil get me recipes, gee are you not glad that we are filling your forum. Thank you so much for your forum.

Hi Phil,
    Yes, that is what I wanted on the black-eyed beans. Thanks so much for all your trouble.
    Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
    +0
    Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 100 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    2/17/2010 4:32:58 AM
    Hi Myrna,

That is high praise, indeed. Phil must be more than just a "good" cook, he must be a notch above good!

DonnaZ
    +0

facebook
    Like us on Facebook!