Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Garden Style Risotto
12/25/2009 4:06:44 AM

Hi Donna & Myrna,

To really tempt the taste buds properly, try some of this home-made Herb Enfused Olive Oil. Magnifico!

Things You'll Need:

• Olive Oil
  • Variety of Fresh Herbs
  • Sterilized Bottles
  • Cork or Rubber Top for Bottles
  • Sauce Pan or Small Stock Pot
  1. Step 1

Choose your herbs and spices. This is the fun part as you can make many variations of herb-infused olive oil. Some suggestions for herbs and spices are rosemary, garlic, basil, bay, chives, dill, mint, marjoram, tarragon and thyme. Again try a few different combinations and make a few different bottles.

2. Step 2

Wash and dry your herbs. After washing, leave your herbs out to dry. Slightly tear or bruise the herbs so that they begin to release their aroma and flavors.

3. Step 3

Heat the oil. Over a low flame, heat the oil until it is warm. Not hot, simply warm. This can best be done in a small stock pot or sauce pan.

4. Step 4

Stuff herbs into bottles. Place your chosen herbs and spices into the bottles. A little goes a very long way, so don't overdue it. There's no need to overly stuff each bottle.

5. Step 5

Pour oil into bottles. Pour the warm oil into the bottles over the herbs and spices. Let the bottles sit for a while until cool.

6. Step 6

Place cork or rubber top onto bottle. Then set the bottle in a cool dark place for about a week.

7. Step 7

Strain out herbs. After a week, strain out the herbs and spices. If you use garlic, be sure to refrigerate the oil rather than store it in a cool dark place to avoid botulism. Again, this oil should continue to be store out of direct sunlight and in a cool dark place. Congratulations, you have just learned how to make your very own herb-infused olive oil!

I grow my own Herbs right there in my kitchen. Fresh is always better.

It's A Taste To Maka My Mama Proud

Have A Blessed Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/30/2009 2:28:54 AM
What a great idea, Phil, and so healthy, too. I am going to try to find the supplies needed to make the herb-infused oils.

DonnaZ
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/1/2010 3:36:51 AM

Hi Donna,

Here's a little Pasta that even Popeye would love...

Three-Cheese Manicotti with Chunky Vegetable Sauce

Manicotti shells stuffed with a three cheese-spinach filling, then topped with a vegetable-loaded sauce and mozzarella cheese. Preparation Time: 30 minutes - Servings: 7

Ingredients

Sauce Ingredients:

PAM® Olive Oil No-Stick Cooking Spray

1 cup diced green bell pepper

1 Tbs minced garlic

1 cup shredded carrot

1 cup shredded zucchini

3 cans (8 oz each) Hunt's® Tomato Sauce-No Salt Added

1 can (14.5 oz each) Hunt's® Petite Diced Tomatoes, undrained

2 Tbs red wine vinegar

1 Tbs dried Italian seasoning

Manicotti Ingredients:

1 pkg (8 oz each) dry manicotti shells, uncooked

1 pkg (10 oz each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry (Popeye's Favorite)

16 oz fat free small curd cottage cheese

1-1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided

4 oz fat free cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup Egg Beaters® 100% Liquid Egg Whites

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/8 tsp ground black pepper

Directions

Prepare Sauce: Spray large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add green pepper; cook 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute or until fragrant. Add carrot and zucchini; cook 2 minutes more. Add tomato sauce, undrained tomatoes, vinegar and Italian seasoning. Simmer mixture 10 minutes, stirring occasionally; set aside.

Meanwhile, prepare Manicotti: Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare manicotti shells according to package directions, omitting salt. When just tender, drain and rinse with cold water. Place shells in single layer on parchment paper; set aside.

Lightly spray 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 2 cups of the sauce in baking dish; set aside. Combine spinach, cottage cheese, 3/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, Egg Beaters, garlic powder and black pepper in large bowl. Fill each manicotti shell with 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture. Arrange over sauce in baking dish; top with the remaining sauce. Cover with aluminum foil.

Bake 45 minutes or until filling is hot. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5 to 10 minutes more or until mozzarella cheese melts.

Have A Bright & Blessed New Year My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/1/2010 6:13:07 AM

Hello Phil,

I can always count on you to share positive comments or good recipes. Happy 2010!

DonnaZ

+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/1/2010 6:17:11 AM
2010 IS HERE

HAPPY NEW YEAR

from Kilkis, GREECE
Wishes for Health, Happiness, Family Peace and Prosperity

ΧΡΟΝΙΑ ΠΟΛΛΑ

από Κιλκις ΕΛΛΑΣ
Ευχές για Υγεία, Χαρα, Ευτυχία και Οικογενιακή Γαλήνη

Click above

Happy NEW YEAR From Gerogios and Family

I love to eat but I am bad on cooking. I will tel my wife about this forum.

Love and Hugs
Georgios
PS Visit the FOTM January 2010 by LaNell and FOTM Team

ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!