Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: 'How little we know?' by Roger Macdivitt
9/30/2009 2:37:40 AM

Hello Roger,

That is a good question. I would say it has grown inclined because of the prevailing wind, I have seen a lot of similarly bent little trees all with the same slant caused by even a mild wind from the sea blowing  for many years; of course, the coming storm may be adding to the prevailing wind, but then, the slant is very pronounced and if the cause were only a strong short-lived wind the tree most probably would have lost its leaves by now.

As I see it, it will lose them all anyway before the storm is over.

On the other hand, I agree with you on the quality of the light in the Spanish painting. It is certainly wonderful and it greatly enhances its beauty and vitality. 

Best Wishes,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/30/2009 3:18:00 AM

Dear Myrna,

It is great to see you here. I too have been trying to find a lot of posts that I wrote in several forums in the last couple of months to no avail, not to mention the fact that only now I am beginning to get on date with my friends' forums, among them, your Native Americans forum. But as you say, things are getting better, and I even am beginning to like some of the features of the new format.

I just found this watercolor by Winslow Homer at Wikipedia. It is very simple, almost impressionist in  conception. I hope you like it.

"Rowing Home"  (1890)

With Love,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/1/2009 10:53:04 AM

Hello Donovan

...and welcome to the gang. You are right, we sometimes hold unusual conversations in this forum, especially when Branka is participating.

As to Winslow Homer, I am so glad you like his works. Oh yes, they are great. As I have told so many times, both he and his works have been a revelation for me too.

This is another of his excellent watercolors that I particularly like. You are the perfect and welcome pretext to show it below.

Winslow Homer - Casting, Number 2 (1892)

Best Wishes,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/2/2009 6:53:07 AM

Luis,

Thank you for the latest picture.

I haven't seen this one before.

This reminds me of Monet and I don't know why.

It's not the blueness, the technique or even water in the subject.

Can you see what I mean?

Roger

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/3/2009 2:02:39 AM

Hi Roger,

I think I can see what you mean. I will attempt an explanation.

In his first travel to Europe, Winslow Homer stayed in Paris for nearly two years and he naturally frequented the artists very in vogue at the time, notably Monet and other impressionists. And for all his claim that he never studied other artists' works, he might have been somewhat influenced by those of Monet, for whom he apparently professed a keen admiration.

Other than that, I believe that if it is not the water, the technique, or the predominantly blue color in Monet's paintings, it is the quiet and private atmosphere in them that is beneath your appreciation. This atmosphere may originate in the fact that just like many of them, Homer Winslow's watercolor also does not show any sky, which added to the gloomy hour focalizes it further giving the impression of a closed space. This effect is also shown in his sketch for "Hound and Hunter" (see the forest-like background) (and in others apparently belonging to the same series), and perhaps in his On the Trail, the two of these shown in previous pages of this topic.  

Claude Monet's painting below shows this clearly.

Claude Monet - Water Lilies at Dusk

That Winslow Homer was influenced by Monet is clearly shown in his own painting below, which actually is not very typical of his more mature works but did earn him an important award in his country, USA, on his return from France. And no one will deny that  it looks exactly like "a"  Monet, even if it is not very characteristic of Monet's late master pieces but, rather, of his earlier works.

Winslow Homer - Artists Sketching in the White Mountains

Well Roger, I had planned to comment on your post in a few lines but it came out almost a full thread. See what happens when the subject is engrossing. 

Best Wishes,

Miguel

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!