Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: 'How little we know?' by Roger Macdivitt
10/19/2009 4:29:56 PM

Dear Roger,

Here is the seascape you posted a couple of days ago. I have just checked out for it and found it is from 1890. Immediately bellow it is Northeaster (apparently from 1895) posted by Alain at the fisrt page of this thread. Both are so similar that it made me wonder at first whether they were painted one after the other in rapid succession, something actually not possible as they are not watercolors but oil paintings, just a thought; but if you look at the treatment of the rocky shore (a pier?) you would say it is almost exactly the same place .

Sunlight_on_the_Coast1.jpg picture by romacmail

Sunlight on the Coast, 1890

Northeaster, 1895 

Of course there are thousands of piers all over the world from which you can watch the waves crash by which look almost exactly like these, but I have just made my homework by looking a little closer into Winslow Homer's biography. Here is what I found (at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winslow_Homer):

"... by 1900, Homer finally reached financial stability, as his paintings fetched good prices from museums and he began to receive rents from real estate properties (...) Homer continued producing excellent watercolors, mostly on trips to Canada and the Caribbean. Other late works include seascapes absent of human figures, mostly of waves crashing against rocks in varying light. In his last decade, he at times followed the advice he gave a student artist in 1907, “Leave rocks for your old age—they’re easy”.

Best Wishes,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/19/2009 8:39:04 PM

Luis,

That was great information.

I have a real passion to see some of his paintings in the flesh but cannot find a record of any here in the UK.

Roger

+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/19/2009 10:55:31 PM
Quote:

Dear Branka,

Thank you so much for caring. I am as happy as I can be, even though I have been missing you and all of my classroom mates. Actually I have been missing the entire Adland community in no lesser extent, since only sporadically have I been able to show up for a quick congratulation or a most urgent reply.  

As you know, certain difficulties have been forcing me to look for something that could restore my somewhat deteriorated finances (this has to be the understatement of the year). Therefore, during the entire week I have been trying to arouse interest in a new opportunity with all the spirit that I was able to muster. At the same time, with a view to keep my inner self in as healthy a condition as possible, and using the few hours that I had available, I have been writing a new article that unexpectedly took longer than I anticipated. Fortunately it was completed and posted first hour today (you may find it here: http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/post/569870/AJourneytotheMountainofLove/1815.aspx). 

Apart from that, I have been taking my dogs out for our daily walk as usual, eating, sleeping a few hours a day, etcetera. All of this, I have to say, has been accomplished to the daily accompaniment of that particular version of the Gayatri Mantra that you kindly offered me.

Can you believe that at certain moments in the day I have been feeling intensely happy? It's true, especially when walking with my dogs in the early morning and coming back home in the late afternoon, I have been feeling like singing aloud while rythmically marching with them almost at a military pace.

So there has not been any new miracle yet, but anyway, I am so happy. I believe it is writing my article that has been putting me in this mood.

Love,

Miguel

Hi Luis,
Well you should be happy with the writing on the Sphinx .  It is beautiful, I know when you do something is so well done.  I just love your writings.  Like I said before you always make me feel good.  So keep em coming.
Love,
Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/21/2009 2:35:35 AM

Dear Myrna,

You are always so sweet. It is you who make me feel good, far more than all the way round.

Look, here is an oil painting by Winslow Homer. It could be just you and me talking at the beach. Lol

Cloud Shadows, 1890, oil on canvas

This one thread started by Roger has become a most casual exhibition of beautiful works by that fabulous painter, Winslow Homer. Fortunately he was a most prolific painter and we still can enjoy more masterpieces.

See you at the Mountain. As you know, it has become like a second home for me (as I guess it is for you, too) even if I have not been able to post very frequently there of late.

With Love,

Luis Miguel G.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/21/2009 6:55:37 AM

Luis,

Thank you for bringing the new posting.

This one has his style encapsulated but has much brighter feel.

Roger

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!