Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Who's Stealing from Peter?
11/16/2005 2:41:37 PM
The majority of people that post here at Adland are online hoping to either [a] make their income online, or [b] supplement their income online. One thing many entrepreneurs don't stop to think about is that every single thing you do to earn money online is of interest to the banking industry. So much so that Debra A. Valentine, general counsel for the U.S. Federal Trade Commission, prepared a statement on "pyramid schemes" which she presented at a seminar on legal issues that affect central banks. During the seminar, she explained that in an effort to inform "entrepreneurs," especially those who unwittingly violate the law, the FTC conducts a number of "Surf Days" on the Internet. The first one was held back in 1996. Commission attorneys and investigators, along with the SEC, the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, the FCC and local law enforcement officials from 24 states set up a task force. In just ONE morning surfing the Internet, the task force found over 500 web sites or news group messages promoting pyramid schemes. The Commission's staff then e-mailed a warning message to the individuals that had posted the messages, advising them that they were violating federal and state law. (and they have email addresses) Can you imagine how the people receiving those emails felt? The FTC also has "feeder" sites that look like money making opps. The difference is that when you join, you will eventually get an email from the FTC informing you that participating in that type of program is in violation of federal and state laws. (and, they'll have your contact info) As part of the seminar, Valentine described the differences between legitimate Network Marketing (MLM) and Pyramid or Ponzi schemes. Valentine said; Many pyramid schemes will claim that their product is selling like hot cakes. However, on closer examination, the sales occur only between people inside the pyramid... Sound a lot like autosurf programs? Paypal generator programs? Ever notice that if you want to buy their goodies, you have to join? Now you know why. Valentine also said; "A Ponzi scheme is closely related to a pyramid because it revolves around continuous recruiting, but in a Ponzi scheme the promoter generally has no product to sell and pays no commission to investors who recruit new "members." Instead, the promoter collects payments from a stream of people, promising them all the same high rate of return on a short-term investment..." High rate of return on a short term investment? HYI? Sounds a lot like 12daily pro, and others of that sort, you think? According to Valentine, there is an expression that nicely summarizes these schemes: It's called "stealing from Peter to pay Paul. And, because of the very structure of a pyramid, 70% of the people in any pyramid are in the bottom and end up losing money. The 30% in the top levels are the ones held accountable. Sounds like a lose lose, hmm? In a previous thread, Cheri made a comment to the effect that most people are in the same financial situation today as they were five years ago, and they'll be in the same position five years from now if they don't change what they're doing. Very true words. Five years from today, will you be glad you stopped chasing pyramid shaped pipe dreams and started a real home business? Or will you still be dreaming of success and hoping you don't get one of those letters from the FTC? Note: Yes, this is a strong message. -- If you like what it has to say, would you [a] tell me why and [b] please invite your friends to this forum... Consider it a membership drive - we could use more faces and voices here. -- If you don't like what it has to say, why not? Curiosity is my middle name. : ) Linda
+0
Re: Who's Stealing from Peter?
11/16/2005 3:28:52 PM
I am not stealing from Peter, but what You write gives sence :-) Best regards Arild
+0
Jay
Jay F

38 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
11/16/2005 4:27:20 PM
Hi Linda, Woah.. Surf days? I wonder if they are member's of the AdlandPro Comm.? I would really feel horrible if I received one of those emails. That's got to be total entrapment though. Hopefully, in five years hard work and savings will pay off. I would much rather invest in legitimate company stocks or start up a high interest bank account versus an unsecured investment with a company that provides an autosurf. :) But, it's really tough to determine what type of mlm company is legal and what isn't. I just did a google search and found a couple of links to pages that list some of the state law statutes related to mlm. http://www.mlmlegal.com/states.html http://www.mlmlaw.com Since the issue of traffic exchange sites came up here, I have taken a long hard look at my own site. I even contacted a lawyer for some advice. I don't offer daily investment interest or anything like that. My site is providing advertising through paid to click, text ads, banner ads, and traditional manual and auto surf traffic exchange browsers. But, I want to be sure that everything I'm doing is legal as my intentions are good are not to scam anybody. Aside from that, I know that there are lots of people that dislike traffic exchange sites for advertising. Some friends and I jokingly quote one of our favorite one liners, "You can't trust anyone, because you're untrustable". I bring that up here because a traffic exchange only works if members actually read the web sites, report scams, and get to know other members. I think that it's important to point out though that as with network marketing/mlm, some traffic exchange sites work, others don't. Some are legal, and other's are not. Not all are the same though. Here's a link to to a book that I read a few months ago written by Barry Minkow. I heard him speak on a radio show here and really enjoyed what he had to say. The book is good, easy reading. Cleaning Up: http://urlsnip.com/776455 <- Amazon Link, not an ad tracker. Lingo
+0
11/16/2005 4:29:05 PM
Linda, I for one was very interested in this post. I have gotten a ton of emails asking me to check out just this sort of thing. Not having the time to read through each and every email I get, I trusted my instinct, which told me not to get involved, and just deleted the messages. I hope that most people that are new to doing business online will be smart enough to read this post. I know that some people join some of these things without really reading what they are getting involved in due to a lack of time to read through each email. If you don't mind, could you please define "randomizer"? I have also gotten a ton of emails about these. I will be more than happy to direct everyone on my "friends" list to this forum......if you could just tell me how to get the thread. I'm learning.............with your and Peter's help : )
+0
Winston Scoville

536 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
11/16/2005 4:30:55 PM
Hi Linda, It would also have been nice if you had added what she has said about Network Marketing (MLM) so that people could compare and see that there are differences without having to assume it. It feels almost like getting half the information . . . Now if you hadn't mentioned Network Marketing (MLM) . . . :-)
+0