Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Julia Youngblood

113 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Duel Diagnosis. Mental Illness And Substance Abuse/Addiction
11/8/2005 11:26:47 AM
Thanks for your reply Bill...and like you, I am at a loss for answers also...anything short of an assasination of the whole administration comes to my mind. I do what I can and for me it used to be enough but anymore I just don't know. I think the answers lie in the people, the power lies with the people, and have always believed this to be true but I do not think that the people will do anything...If the people of this country can elect for a second term, the person who is in office today, my faith in them runs pretty thin. The people of this country live in fear and they don't even know it. I was watching the History channel the other night, when an advertisement came on...I usually mute the commercials as this is the time my husband and I use to discuss what we have just viewed, but this time, I listened for a minute...it started out by saying...One in every three people will have a serious fall in their home in their lifetime and will not be able to get to the phone to call for help. They were promoting some wrist bracelet that called 911 or something, I wasn't really paying any attention after I heard the first line because of my personal realization of what was really going on...Now, for myself, because of my belief system and spirituality, these kinds of thoughts never enter my mind...What? I am supposed to go around fearful that I might be that 1 in 3 to take a serious fall and I will lay there and die if I don't buy this product? NOT! Give it power and it shall become a reality! Another thing I realized while listening to an interview by Bishop John Shelby Spong, a retired Episcopalian, from Newark, New Jersey, on NPR that all wars were fought "in the name of god". I don't know what this has to do with the subject, except I was very impressed by this man and what he had to say...there are several websites out there...just type in John Shelby Spong in search and start reading. Julia PS read your new political forum....didn't post...makes me too angry. But thanks for the information...I get too much negative info goin' and I loose my focus on the positive... I don't know where I am going from here, and could go on and on but I need to get back to work!
"To see the earth as it truly is, small and blue and beautiful in that eternal silence where it floats, is to see ourselves as riders on the earth together, brothers and sisters on that bright loveliness in the eternal."
+0
11/8/2005 3:21:46 PM
Hi Julia This is beginning to look like our private forum here LOL. You are right about it being up to the people to bring about change though. It is never one people against another. It is allways one government against another. If the majority would ever realize how much power they really had thigs could be so different. Here's one example. High gas prices while oil companies are making record profits. Bill O Rielly on Fox says if we all just cut back our driving by 10% it would drive gas prices down. I disagree. In order to do that we would have to cut back on our leisure time driving. Here is what I suggest we do. Boycott Exxon Mobile. They are the biggest. If they began to lose money this fast, they would be forced to lower their prices at the pump in order to regain some business. Then we move to the next company that is charging too much and boycott them. I call it controlled competetitive economics. We control prices by forcing competition. WAe could do this to save American jobs as well. Stop buying goods made in China or other forien countries. Buy only American made products. In pretty short order, Americans would be back to work and then we could work out a more balanced trade system. Oh well. I guess we solved enough of the worlds problems for one day. Take care my friend. Sincerly, Bill
May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
12/2/2005 12:24:02 PM
Hello Friends It appears that we may have wondered off of our original topic for this this forum. The following article should get us back on track. As it turns out, smoking a little pot may not be as harmless as once thought. It does cause some problems for some people. Especially those with a pre existing mental illness. Fri 2 Dec 2005 Printer friendly Send to friend Cannabis users with mental illness 'face schizophrenia risk' RAYMOND HAINEY DISTURBING new evidence of the possible damaging effects of cannabis on mental health were revealed by scientists yesterday. At the same time the findings were revealed, a Scots academic warned Scotland could be sitting on a mental health timebomb fuelled by heavy cannabis use. Danish experts found that people who suffered a cannabis-induced psychosis were far more likely to go on to suffer from schizophrenia or other serious mental health problems. The study is the first to show that temporary mental problems due to cannabis use are often followed by chronic psychiatric illness. Researchers from Aarhus University Hospital found that nearly half of all patients treated for a cannabis-related psychotic episode went on to develop some form of schizophrenia. And almost a third were later diagnosed as suffering from paranoid schizophrenia. The research team tracked more than 530 patients treated for cannabis-induced psychosis for at least three years. They were compared with more than 2,700 people with schizophrenia referred to psychiatrists, but who had no history of cannabis-induced mental health problems. The team, writing in the British Journal of Psychiatry, said that their findings contradicted previous claims that cannabis-induced mental health problems were "harmless". It found 44.5 per cent of those with cannabis-induced psychotic symptoms went on to suffer full-blown schizophrenia. Overall, more than 72 per cent went on to suffer from a psychotic illness such as depression. Fewer than 16 per cent of the people made mentally ill by cannabis use required no psychiatric treatment after their initial psychotic episode. The researchers also found that patients in the study group developed schizophrenia at an earlier average age than the non-drug using group - at 24, four years earlier, for men and at 29, three years earlier, for women. Meanwhile, Professor Neil McKeganey the director of the Centre for Drug Misuse Research at Glasgow University, said that Scotland had one of the highest rates of cannabis use in Europe - and that users were starting at younger ages. He said: "We should be looking at cannabis as a drug which will cause serious mental health problems for a proportion of the young people who use it. "Even if it's a small proportion, the very large numbers of young people smoking cannabis over long periods means that a large number of young people may go on to suffer serious mental health problems. "We are potentially facing a serious mental health issue for the large number of young people who are smoking cannabis in large amounts at a very young age, as low as 13 in some cases." Of the Danish research, Prof McKeganey said: "It suggests we will see growing numbers of young people suffering from severe mental illness as a result of heavy drug use over a long number of years." However, he added that it was unclear how many drug users may have gone on to become chronically mentally ill anyway. He said government policy should be aimed at slashing cannabis use and looking at rescheduling the drug from category C back to category B. • Driving under the influence of cannabis doubles the risk of being involved in a fatal road crash, research shows. A study in France found that even small amounts of cannabis could double the chance of a driver suffering an accident, while larger doses could more than triple the risk. Related topic Drugs policy http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=220 This article: http://news.scotsman.com/health.cfm?id=2337352005 Last updated: 02-Dec-05 10:34 GMT
May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
12/2/2005 9:29:34 PM
Hi Shelly Since I detected so much emotion in you last post here I thought I would address this post to you. Often times, addictive behaviour is a symptom of an underlying mental illness. I was under the care of a Psychologist one time that said that he would not even bother trying to treat people for addictions because the addiction was allmost never the root cause of the problem. As time goes by, more and more studies are proving this to be the case. Here is an example of some of the latest research being done on duel diagnosis disorders. Home > News > Features & Commentary Features & Commentary IOM Report Endorses Treatment Improvement, Integration, and Parity 12/2/2005 Email Print Subscribe Most Emailed News Feature By Bob Curley The addiction and mental-health treatment systems should be better integrated with general healthcare and included in broader national efforts to improve healthcare quality, the National Academy of Sciences says in a new report that endorses parity coverage of behavioral-health services as a key component of meeting both goals. "The report is an excellent prescription of principles, some of which have been reflected in earlier reports but never acted upon, others of which provide a greater vision of a 21st-century system of care," said Michael J. Fitzpatrick, executive director of the National Alliance on Mental Illness. "We know what must be done. The challenge now is to make sure that the report does not end up simply gathering dust on shelves in the White House, the Library of Congress, or state medical libraries." In 2001, the Academy's Institute of Medicine (IOM) outlined an influential plan for improving healthcare in a report entitled "Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century." While the blueprint was widely praised and adopted in many corners of the health system, some questioned whether behavioral healthcare -- with its distinct delivery systems, marketplaces, and quality standards -- could or should follow the same path to improvement. The answer in the latest IOM report, "Improving the Quality of Health Care for Mental and Substance-Use Conditions," is a resounding "yes" -- news that will hearten addiction and mental-health advocates who want to see better integration between the behavioral and general medical systems. "The recommendations set forth in Crossing the Quality Chasm for the redesign of health care are as applicable to [addiction and mental health] care as to general health care," states the report, prepared by a Quality Chasm committee chaired by Mary Jane England, M.D., a former Robert Wood Johnson Foundation health fellow, past president of the Washington Business Group on Health, and currently president of Regis College. However, the IOM panel says that quality-improvement efforts in the behavioral-health field need to take into account the fact that consumers of these services "face a number of obstacles that generally are not encountered by consumers of general health care," including shame, stigma, and discrimination, and insurance coverage that is far less comprehensive (and accessible) than that for general health care. To address these differences, the committee recommends that treatment providers incorporate "incorporate informed, patient-centric decisionmaking throughout their practices," such as involving patients in developing treatment and recovery plans, giving patients more say in the use of medications, peer-support programs, and other elements of their care. Providers also are encouraged to "maintain effective, formal linkages with community resources to support patient illness self-management and recovery." Health plans and other payers are encouraged to pay for peer support and illness self-management programs that meet evidence-based standards, provide consumers with comparative information on treatment providers to aid in purchasing decisions, and to "remove barriers to and restrictions on effective and appropriate treatment that may be created by co-payments, service exclusions, benefit limits, and other coverage policies." Quality Measurement Needs Work Noting that the infrastructure needed to measure, analyze, report on and improve treatment quality is "less well developed" in the behavioral-health field compared to the general health field, the IOM report calls for: more coordination in filling gaps in the evidence base a stronger, more coordinated, and evidence-based approach to disseminating evidence to clinicians improved diagnosis and assessment strategies a stronger infrastructure for measuring and reporting the quality of addiction and mental-health care, and support for quality-improvement practices at treatment sites "We appreciate the emphasis on establishing models for benchmarking and quality improvement at the sites of care delivery and the development of strategies to reduce the burden of variable billing and reporting requirements," said Linda Rosenberg, MSW, CSW, president and CEO of the National Council for Community Behavioral Healthcare. "The authors recognize that providers need supports and incentives that enable the delivery of quality care." The report also makes recommendations regarding better integration between the addiction and mental-health treatment systems, noting the high occurrence of co-occurring disorders, and for increased collaboration between primary-care and behavioral-care providers "to achieve evidence-based screening and care of their patients." Finally, the IOM committee addresses the constellation of professions currently providing addiction and mental-health treatment services, noting that the behavioral health workforce "is not uniformly equipped with respect to the knowledge and skills needed to provide high-quality services." In response, the report calls for a "long-term, sustained commitment" to developing the workforce, following models previously used to improve the nation's physician and nursing professions. Elizabeth F. Howell, M.D., president of the American Society of Addiction Medicine, cheered the report's findings. "We are prepared to follow with specific responses and contributions on its recommendations," she said. However, Rosenberg stressed that "there can be no improvement without adequate resources," pointing to potential cuts in Medicaid funding and program rules that favor institutional care over community-based services. "Many of the recommendations in the report are practices that community providers already embrace," she said. "However, without adequate funding and support, these effective initiatives will not be sustained or taken to scale." More Features & Commentary Mental Health And Political Forums http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=10129 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=9637 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=8212 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=7420 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=8259 Lifetime web building and hosting for under $40. One time payment http://www.superpayline.com/p002859 The most advanced VOIP system there is anywhere. https://wv0079721.betteruniverse.com/members/index.php?action=buy_miphone Better Universe. The People Helping People Company http://wv0079721.betteruniverse.com
+0
1/14/2006 10:03:51 AM
Greetings All Here is an update on some legislation that has been introduced to the House of Representatives. It is finaly becomming more aparent that mental illness and substance abuse must be treated together in order to achieve the best results. Home > Allston-Brighton TAB > Opinion & Letters Letter: Substance abuse and mental health services Friday, January 13, 2006Why is this so important? In Massachusetts, one out of 10 people older than 12 abuses or is dependent on alcohol or other drugs, and one in five American adults suffers from a diagnosable mental disorder. Whether we realize it or not, people receiving mental health and substance abuse services, as well as those who need treatment but can't access it, are our neighbors, our friends and our family. These individuals work with us at our jobs, wave to us in our neighborhoods, pass by us in the grocery store. They also battle stigma and discrimination on a daily basis. Those who stand up with individuals who are mentally ill or dependent on alcohol or other drugs go largely unnoticed, and at times face political peril for doing so. Sen. Tolman and Rep. Balser are prime examples of legislators who aren't afraid to take a stand and encourage their colleagues to do the same. The Legislature should be commended for its decision to insist upon equity for people with behavioral health-care needs and to lay the vestiges of discrimination and stigma to rest at last. Timothy Burke Addiction Treatment Center of New England Brighton To the editor: The Legislature recently created a Mental Health and Substance Abuse Committee to consider legislation and policy affecting individuals with mental illness or substance use disorders. Under the leadership of the committee's co-chairs, Sen. Steven Tolman and Rep. Ruth Balser, legislators are examining mental health and substance abuse issues through a new lens. This is not to say that the Legislature has donned rose-colored glasses. Rather, the new committee has transformed the commonwealth's strategy for mental illness and substance abuse into one that promotes access to a comprehensive, coordinated system of treatment and recovery services, for which responsibility is shared between the private and public sectors. Faced with an epidemic of overdoses and deaths from heroin and OxyContin and a Department of Mental Health waiting list of 16,000 individuals, Sen. Tolman and Rep. Balser recognize that mental health and substance abuse service needs can no longer be addressed on an issue-by-issue basis as crises arise. Our tax dollars and health insurance contributions pay for treatment services, yet these issues were likely to be placed at the bottom of the priority list. Before the committee's creation, mental health and substance abuse concerns often were lost in the shuffle. They languished on the back burner not for want of caring by those on Beacon Hill, but due to the lack of a clear focal point. Is substance abuse a health care or human service concern? What about mental illness? Are the necessary resources available to tackle thorny issues like mandated insurance coverage of substance abuse treatment or restrictions on access to psychiatric medications? In establishing this committee, the Legislature is beginning to hone in on the service gaps and has loudly declared that mental health and substance abuse are top priorities that require concentrated public policy attention. During its brief existence, the Mental Health and Substance Abuse Committee has proposed new funding to expand substance abuse services, favorably reviewed substance abuse insurance parity legislation and advocated for mental health parity in health care reform bills. Tolman and Balser have brought committed leadership and coordination to mental health and substance abuse policy, and expertise on Beacon Hill has expanded with talented staff dedicated solely to committee concerns. [continue] 1 | 2 | Next » Why is this so important? In Massachusetts, one out of 10 people older than 12 abuses or is dependent on alcohol or other drugs, and one in five American adults suffers from a diagnosable mental disorder. Whether we realize it or not, people receiving mental health and substance abuse services, as well as those who need treatment but can't access it, are our neighbors, our friends and our family. These individuals work with us at our jobs, wave to us in our neighborhoods, pass by us in the grocery store. They also battle stigma and discrimination on a daily basis. Those who stand up with individuals who are mentally ill or dependent on alcohol or other drugs go largely unnoticed, and at times face political peril for doing so. Sen. Tolman and Rep. Balser are prime examples of legislators who aren't afraid to take a stand and encourage their colleagues to do the same. The Legislature should be commended for its decision to insist upon equity for people with behavioral health-care needs and to lay the vestiges of discrimination and stigma to rest at last. Timothy Burke Addiction Treatment Center of New England Brighton Why is this so important? In Massachusetts, one out of 10 people older than 12 abuses or is dependent on alcohol or other drugs, and one in five American adults suffers from a diagnosable mental disorder. Whether we realize it or not, people receiving mental health and substance abuse services, as well as those who need treatment but can't access it, are our neighbors, our friends and our family. These individuals work with us at our jobs, wave to us in our neighborhoods, pass by us in the grocery store. They also battle stigma and discrimination on a daily basis. Those who stand up with individuals who are mentally ill or dependent on alcohol or other drugs go largely unnoticed, and at times face political peril for doing so. Sen. Tolman and Rep. Balser are prime examples of legislators who aren't afraid to take a stand and encourage their colleagues to do the same. The Legislature should be commended for its decision to insist upon equity for people with behavioral health-care needs and to lay the vestiges of discrimination and stigma to rest at last. Timothy Burke Addiction Treatment Center of New England Brighton Why is this so important? In Massachusetts, one out of 10 people older than 12 abuses or is dependent on alcohol or other drugs, and one in five American adults suffers from a diagnosable mental disorder. Whether we realize it or not, people receiving mental health and substance abuse services, as well as those who need treatment but can't access it, are our neighbors, our friends and our family. These individuals work with us at our jobs, wave to us in our neighborhoods, pass by us in the grocery store. They also battle stigma and discrimination on a daily basis. Those who stand up with individuals who are mentally ill or dependent on alcohol or other drugs go largely unnoticed, and at times face political peril for doing so. Sen. Tolman and Rep. Balser are prime examples of legislators who aren't afraid to take a stand and encourage their colleagues to do the same. The Legislature should be commended for its decision to insist upon equity for people with behavioral health-care needs and to lay the vestiges of discrimination and stigma to rest at last. Timothy Burke Addiction Treatment Center of New England Brighton Mental Health And Political Forums http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=10129 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=9637 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=8212 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=7420 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=8259 Lifetime web building and hosting for under $40. One time payment http://www.superpayline.com/p002859 The most advanced VOIP system there is anywhere. https://wv0079721.betteruniverse.com/members/index.php?action=buy_miphone Better Universe. The People Helping People Company http://wv0079721.betteruniverse.com May a smile follow you to sleep each night, and be there waiting when you awaken. SIncerly, Bill Vanderbilt / Fanbelt
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!