Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Linda Miller

3429 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Re: Spirituality and Success
11/14/2005 9:21:24 PM
Hi Jack, What I hear (see?) you saying is that we can only perceive what is in our belief system. Hiram Smith (and Steven Covey?) describes a "belief window" that we each carry around in front of us. We view everything through our belief window and we simply cannot see anything that is not part of our current beliefs. Most of our beliefs were given to us by someone else - as a child - and we have carried these beliefs into our adulthood without realizing that some of them may not be the "truth." It is a wonderful moment when I realize that a specific belief no longer serves me and I am able to let it go. Ahhhhh One way I get rid of limiting beliefs is by setting an Intention daily ... "Is is my Intention to easily and efforlessly eliminate activities and beliefs that no longer serve my needs and the greater good of the planet. Ahhhh... now that feels good!
Help us spread the message to the world... http://www.themessage2000.com/messengers/lindamiller Linda Miller 828-652-4714 Nebo, North Carolina
+0
Linda Miller

3429 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
11/14/2005 9:22:44 PM
Hi Cheri, I think it is a wonderful thing that you have found your "purpose" in spreading the message that it is never too late. Congratulations!
Help us spread the message to the world... http://www.themessage2000.com/messengers/lindamiller Linda Miller 828-652-4714 Nebo, North Carolina
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
11/15/2005 3:15:22 PM
Jack and especially Linda, Thanks for continuing this train of thought while I was away for a day. I think I'm gaining a little better understanding of what Jack was saying. Several years ago, I was working for a large non-profit health system in Utah as a mid-level manager in the patient accounts services department. As part of an ongoing effort to foster communication among those at my level and above, we were given training in a body of work called "Human Dynamics". The authors of the program had observed children and adults and had found what they believed to be inborn differences in the way people process information cognitively. They grouped everyone into 9 different processing styles (complete with labels) and then proceeded to ignore four of them as regards the western hemisphere, those being rare in this part of the world. Our training was to identify our own group and then learn how we could best communicate with people in the other groups, as it became quite clear if you accepted that model that there were serious communication gaps. The interesting part of this training was that the models seemed to work, even though I hated being put into a "box". Particularly a box that had no one else in it. However, it began to make sense to me that I have always been able to classify and "file" information as I received it, when those around me either had to process it for some time before filing it or had no discernible organization of thought and simply drew conclusions on the fly. I like Linda's affirmation about eliminating beliefs that no longer serve us. You see, instead of valuing my unusual (for the Western hemisphere) thought patterns while balancing the mental with the emotional, I began to distrust any intuitive or emotional information I received. I would say things like, "I'm not a people-person." "I can't tell what other people are feeling." I saw myself as an analytical machine. Now I'm beginning to release that self-limiting belief, thanks to conversations with people who have traveled a little further along that path. Still, it trips me up sometimes. Jack, you are correct. I analyze information after I receive it through whatever filters are in place; many of which I probably placed myself. The key, though, is that I do analyze it. I don't accept "incoming" uncritically. I want data before making a decision. While I am as capable of being deceived as the next person, I have at last come to the point where I can look at facts and admit that I made or may have made a mistake in my initial assessment of the information. In that case, I go look at it again. I'm still testing which belief serves me best*; whether to "let go and let God" like Kris, or to exercise what my Mormon friends call free agency and affirmatively work for an end as I have always done. I suspect that what I'll end up with is a better balance. One where I state an intention in faith that it will be fulfilled and then begin working, listening carefully for guidance as to what to do as I work. *Another belief I'm releasing is that we just believe, rather than choosing our beliefs. Well, I've succeeded in putting myself to sleep. Hope others have fared better. I'm off to take a nap. Cheri
+0
11/15/2005 7:19:27 PM
Very nice post Cheri, Special thanks to Linda Miller because she provided a helpfull explanation of the message I was trying to convey, for the most part. I say most part because I will need some more thinking time myself before I buy into the whole idea of getting rid of limiting beliefs. I'm not one to adjust my thinking just to feel like a winner since I usually learn more when I'm a loser. Ying & Yang suggests that a balancing of opposing forces should exist. I like to think of this when my analytical side tries to overtake my spirituality, and vice versa. I have accepted things that I couldn't believe and I'm sure that I believe in some things that are not acceptable to others. C'est la vie!
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!