Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Jayson VanBeekom

796 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: THE NORTHERN RENAISSENCE - HIERONYMUS BOSCH
6/10/2009 6:05:27 PM
I recognize a lot of these paintings from a library book my mom got for me. He died on August 9th, huh? I was born on August 9th. And we're both Dutch. We have lots in common  :)
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: THE NORTHERN RENAISSANCE - HIERONYMUS BOSCH
6/11/2009 6:11:41 AM

Dear Roger,

Thank you so much for visiting this thread. I especially appreciate it as you always know what you are talking about, in particular as art goes. This time is no different of course.

To be true, I had not thought much about the artists' impossibility, back in the times of Bosch, to completely freely express themselves for the reasons you expound; but it of course makes all the sense in the world. Not to mention the ommipresent Inquisition which, if I am not mistaken, was already active at those times and might have found Bosch's paintings heretical. Fortunately enough, he and his art found good and powerful protectors both while still alive and after he was dead, like King Phillip of Spain (who ruled over the Netherlands at the time), a great admirer and collectionist of Bosch's works who, in the words of Father Sigüenza, "would have never let them enter his rooms and the Monastery sacristy had he ever seen any traces of heresy... "

Yet as you say, art was so important in bringing the Christian messages to the lucky viewers. In that sense, it was perhaps fulfilling its highest mission on Earth at the time, and to make it effectively the best means was, like in all traditional teaching, the use of symbols.

I, like you, consider the art of Bosch's times to be a strong (and most authentic) art, much stronger and authentic than that of the seventeenth century. And we are certainly most fortunate to be viewing it now.

Thanks again,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Alain Deguire

8052 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/11/2009 7:55:17 PM

Hello Dear Luis Miguel!

THANK YOU for your invitation to this amazing forum thread...

I am really impressed as always by the quality of your work and this feature is simply another wonderful example...

This is a wonderful artist indeed and I love very much his art... My favorites are God creating the Earth and St. John the Baptist in the Wilderness.

Thank You very much for sharing with us here such outstanding pieces of art.

This is Pure Delight...

Blessings,

Alain

+0
6/11/2009 8:43:03 PM

Hello Luis

Thank you for inviting me to this wonderful forum. Seldom do we find time to explore the finer things in life. this man has portrayed a whole world beneath the the world in which we live. But, not so far below the surface. the death and carnage is a part of our everyday life but we have been blinded to it. As long as we can go to the grocery store and have a roof over our heads, this world remains hidden from us. But when we fall on hard times or become the victim of such evil acts, the world seems to change and then,,we see the real world. Amazing forum My Friend. I will be back

May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!