Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Pauline Raina

4108 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: ALL THE FUN OF THE FAIR?
5/17/2009 12:30:22 PM

Dear Roger,

Thank you !!!!

Meet Shanti,

scan0008.jpg

Her story so far.......

Shanti is a girl who belonged to a caste called the  'untouchables'  and lived in a slum here in Chennai aka Madras. Due to poverty her mother [Father had deserted the family soon after she was born.] pledged her to a rich film Director for a sum of money then about 100 us$. Shanti went to serve in this family as a domestic help. 

A year later we moved in to the next door of this Film Director, few months into staying there we became curious of the screaming and shrieks we would hear coming from their house and it was disturbing. But we dismissed it as parents chastising their naughty kids.. as they had brats for kids ;-) but the curiosity got the better of us and we would peek over the boundry wall to see this little girl sitting out in the yard and cleaning huge brass and copper vessels. We asked our domestice help maid to befriend her and slowly we got to know the inside story...that the shrieks n screams we would  hear were hers, and she would show us her hands that were sore and infected from the harsh washing  powder she would use to wash the vessels. But what astounded us was her resilience inspite of the situation. She knew she had no way out but to go through this life which was now hers.

We just couldnt know all of this and do nothing, within a few months time we planned her rescue. But first we couldnt stay next door and save her. So we moved to the other end of town, but not before tellng her we were going to come for her soon. Well we did, and then took her into our home, called her mother and let her know her daughter was safe. Ever since then Shanti has been with us like a daughter to us and a sister to our children, she studied with them, and later trained to be a beautician, as my younger sister is one and imparted training to Shanti, who now earns a good some of money enought to take care of her aging mother. She is one awesome Christian too!!!

She had left it up to us to look for a suitable husband for her, always trusting God & us to give her the best. And God did bring a handsome young Christian man [who is also a hair technician]whom we thought was an ideal match for our Shanti. So on the 28th at 5 pm they will become man and wife. We are rejoicing because they will be a blessed couple who love the Lord, and will live to the purpose they were called together.

Keep them in prayer, if you dont see me online much you know where I am busy :-) will be back after its all over with the pictures to share.

Thank you for letting me tell this story !!

Keep them is prayer

Hugs to all

Pauline

+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/17/2009 12:50:33 PM

Hi Roger,

My main wish is to have everything barrier-free and transportation for people who wouldn't be able to get there.  One of my sisters has been disabled since birth, and those are the main concerns of kids and families with disabilities.  Will the carnival restrooms be barrier-free?  A lot of places are now, but not all.  Will a single parent or someone without a vehicle be able to take their child and themself somewhere fun?  Getting there can be most of the battle, being there is great when people get there and don't have too many obstacles to having a fun time!  Donations to disability groups are a good idea, and awareness to what people have to go through that the rest of us take for granted.  Good treats?  Tons of patience if you're in line behind someone who's moving slower than you wish, and ice cream! 

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/17/2009 12:52:49 PM

Thank you and welcome Shanti,

My prayers are assured and the best wishes of our Adland friends will, I'm sure, follow.

Shanti deserves to be happy and your part in her story means that you deserve to share in her happiness.

As I have already told Luka, I have been involved in a charity which started in my Surrey, England town of Haslemere. The charity does wonderful work in India and is now established as a trust here, in the US and in India.

Many stories like that of Shanti come to me from The Kings Trust and show the need that the great continent of India has. If anyone is interested in helping children in India they can do no better than to help the Christian charity I speak of.

The Kings Trust, despite being a christian Trust is true to the laws of India and supports non christians on an equal basis.

If anyone would like to see more visit:

www.kingschildren.org and www.kingsenglishschool.com

There are links and information for English , Americans and anybody else interested.

There are opportunities for young people (and not so young people) to volunteer and serve at the village. there are costs and fares but I am sure that there are those here who would be prepared to help in some way to raise funds.

India is a special place and history is about to place this great place back where it belongs at the forefront of the worlds economy.

Thank you again Pauline

Your love spreads.

Roger

+0
Luka Babic

1031 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
5/17/2009 1:01:16 PM

How beautiful story Pauline!

And Shanti (in my native her name would be Myrna :) ) IS BEAUTIFUL! Beautiful!

God bless your family for showing up so big Christian compassion and solidarity, along with a sincere care.

Must admit that I can`t easily understand choosing husband for her ... but I am still too green (Serbs say so for "too young to understand all the things in the world") . Is that custom at India?

Even though I am mesmerized by India, actually I do not know much about your secular customs; BTW are there differences between secular and religious things and tasks?

Now you give me a cue for one big research. After settling all the tasks for University ... I`d read all what can find about India.

And finally, HERE ARE MY BEST WISHES TO SHANTI AND HER FUTURE HUSBAND! May God bless them with a big love, a many healthy and great kids, and an abundance in all matters.

I wish you Pauline and your family, to have a great time at their wedding!

Hugs,

Luka

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/17/2009 1:03:58 PM

How right you are Kathleen,

Things in the UK are progressing better than many other places but are still sadly lacking.

What tends to happen is that things are designed, additions made for the disabled, and then everyone hopes for the best. We need places that are designed at its conception with the disabled and disadvantaged in mind.

Barriers need dismantling and attitudes need to change. Things are definitely better but there's a mile to go.

Thank you Kathleen. Perhaps we could all do something for a disabled child this week?

Remember the Paralympic games are set for London 2012, we are proud.

Roge

Roger

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!