Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luka Babic

1031 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: You Are Cordially Invited
4/7/2009 8:05:06 AM

LOL Judy,

LOL! We Serbs have one funny quote :

"I AM NOT PRETTY, BUT GOD SUBSTITUTED THAT AND MADE ME STUPID" ...

FINALLY I UNDERSTAND THAT I AM RIGHT THERE.

BIRDS, WHERE ARE YOU, LUKA IS COMING ...

THANKS JUDY!

GOD BLESS YOU DEAR FRIEND!

Luka

+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
FEATHERS IN THE FOYER
4/7/2009 8:40:06 AM

Cimg0606.jpg picture by jnsmith_bucket  WELCOME - Come on in - but beware!!

My husband and I have lived in our home for 4+ years now.  Soon after we moved in I was invited to a Southern Living home party and in a effort to be a friendly neighbor, I went and purchased the container that you see hanging on my front door.  When it arrived I excitedly rushed to the local craft store and bought some pretty plastic flowers and placed them inside and hung them proudly on the door.  A few weeks later, my husband walked into the house through the garage looking somewhat amused.  It seems that in his efforts to get the lawn cut, he was being dive bombed by two Purple Finches.  A quick investigation led us to the plastic bouquet and the nest that had been tucked way in the back of it by our bombers, who really do not take kindly to us using the front door while they are setting up housekeeping. 

LOL- the container is hanging on the door in just the perfect position for me to watch the entire show through the windows above and through the peep hole in the door.  I delighted in every minute of it.  The grandchildren marveled at the tiny eggs inside one week and two weeks later we had little tiny Purple Finches that within a couple of more weeks had left the nest and were happily flying around the yard, and eating from the finch feeders. 

My hubby kept insisting that I take the planter down and clean up the mess.  OK, I cleaned up the mess and carefully cleaned off the door, but something told me that I should leave the planter in place.  And, a few weeks later, we were getting dive bombed again - yep - we were having another family of Finches and now that planter just had to stay!! 

The feathers in the foyer was the fun part when we forgot and used the front door when the little guys were getting ready to leave the nest.   Now, every spring I go out and get new plastic flowers, and just watch and wait.  This year it only took them two days to start their nest , and again right where I can see it all unfold before my eyes.  Only, this year Bob wants to paint the front door - I can't imagine why, so I had to make a deal with him that after they have left the nest the first time - we will see if he actually makes me uphold my end of that deal.  Though he won't admit it, he loves it every bit as much as I do!

God bless!

Judy
BIRD ESSENSENTIALS BLOG

+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/7/2009 9:06:47 AM

Hi Judy,

I registered and made a post to your blog WITH a link to Michigan bird sites!! That may be my biggest effort for this month!  (so far)

I brought you a photo of one of my favorite Michigan birds, these can only be seen from far away because they fly off when people get within 30 feet of them.  Once I saw 3 together, I live a half-mile from the river so it's easy to walk there and look for them sometimes...The Great Blue Heron (definitely not a backyard bird!):

They look very graceful in flight, like a hang-glider.

Great Blue Heron - Ardea herodias breeds in colonies in trees close to lakes or other wetlands, often with other species of herons. It builds a bulky stick nest. The female lays 3 to 5 pale blue eggs. Both parents feed the young at the nest by regurgitating food. The Great Blue stands four feet tall, has a seven-foot wingspan and weighs 2.5 kg. It has a long yellow bill. Adults have blue-grey wings and back and a white head with a black cap and a long black plume. In flight, the long neck is held in an S-shape with the long legs trailing behind. This bird flies with strong deliberate wing beats. It often barks like a dog. You will see this bird only in the summer months in Michigan.

+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: FEATHERS IN THE FOYER
4/7/2009 9:56:58 AM

Hi Luka,

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such a kind comment.  I hope to see you there frequently!!

Hugs and blessings,

Judy

+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/7/2009 9:59:06 AM

Thank you so much Kathleen!! 

I love the Blue Herons.  I am pleased that you registerd at the blog site.  I haven't seen your comment, but I am still learning my way around.  I will find it and comment back. 

Hugs and blessings,

Judy

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!