Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Amanda Martin-Shaver

2587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: All about Stress
3/17/2009 10:41:43 AM
Hello Roger,

Great topic you have selected and thank for sharing your
poem.

Stress is a symptom that can lead to chronic bad health if it
is not recognized and you work at relieving your stress.

I suffered chronic stress twice that lead to health problems.
The first was from big changes in my life - death of my mother, break up with my childhood girlfriend of 30 years - this was like a death. 
Going through separation of over 2 years before divorce is final.

Taking a trip to the USA and travelling to meet friends whom
had invited me to visit.
Being judged and ostricised by family and friends when I returned whom I thought would be more understanding of
our marriage breakup and them taking sides. 

I came down with asthma attack that put me in hospital shortly I returned.

Being homeless and living with the couple of friends whom I still had, then moving to a Women's hostel for 9 months to start LPN training and the stress of learning something brand new.

Hostel living was extremely stressful because of the changing
circumstances of women coming and going and their different
needs and demands.  It would be calm and happy living for
a couple of months, then a new woman with their issues would come to live and disrupt the flow and want to change
things or would not get on with one or two of the other women that would cause problems.

During final exams for my training theory in the classroom
and practical in the Rest Homes, there was two seperate outbreaks of contaminated illness that put the house into
'red alert'

By the time I was ready to leave NZ and fly back to the USA to make my new life here I was so stressed that I had developed itchy rashes all over my body from an over adrelelin rush.  The 11 hour plane trip was a nightmare because the plane was very warm and I was sitting in the middle of the row.
A trip to the thermal springs took care of the rash and then baths in epson salts finished the treatment and lots of
relaxing.

I had another stress attack about 3 years later which I had
the worse athma attack and I ended up in hospital for 4
days and my oxygen level in my body was extremely low. 
I was let go from my 1st job in the States of 11 months (which had been difficult due to the difference in culture, policies and practices and no training from them) because
a resident in the alzheimer and dementia home attacked
me and was beating me about the head and body while I
was on my own during the Noc shift and I took evasive actions and pushed him back away from me.  I wrote the incident in the logs.  Their policies was staff was never to
hit, push etc residents.

James and I were also in the midst of signing for our first home which we lost due to the access was not legal.  It
went as far as escrow so this was a huge blow to loose
the house.

I got another job quickly that was the worse micromanaged
I hope to ever come across again.  They had 6 people in administration and 5 resident assistant staff for 4 wings -
one floater to assist with residents.  Good staff were hired
on and they all were leaving within a few weeks.  I lasted 3 months before I gave my notice in.  It was just so stressful and Admin could not see why!!

It takes about 7 years for the stress levels to drop.  I have been virtually stress free for several years.  I learned I have
to pace myself at my speed, and not let myself be rushed along. I use to have to have an afternoon nap everyday.  I have not napped for quite some time now.

Amanda
+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/17/2009 11:57:31 AM
Hi Roger, There are stressful situations which are usually temporary, or always temporary since our lives are temporary, even though stressful situations seem to last longer than good situations because our minds have a tendency to focus on the negative, especially if there's no clear solution. Then there are stressful people, who always seem to be in the center of stressful situations, either because they enjoy inducing stress or they don't have the will-power to walk away from it. Part of dealing with stressful people is the ability to recognize that they enjoy the adrenaline-rush of initiating stress, more than they enjoy having a stress-free day. Just being able to pinpoint that factor can help us in avoiding stress by avoiding those kinds of people. Some people DO focus on that adrenaline-rush of being in the center of stress so much that they eagerly look for opportunities to deliberately create stress and keep it going. The people around them either need to squelch it or completely avoid those personalities. Deliberate initiation of stress can best be combatted by deliberate avoidance of stress-inducers. Keeping our minds off it can be more difficult. Making a mental list of positive thoughts can help, if we are too often ruminating on our stressful situations, we can count off our positives as a mantra, the more positives we have, the better.
+0
Barb Doyle

1469 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
3/17/2009 4:43:44 PM

Hi Roger and Sheila,

I have seen many people relieve stress with therapeutic grade essential oils. They are simply the best at helping people balance mentally and emotionally.

Peace, Health and prosperity,
Barb Doyle, Sc.

We have to unite to make a real difference. Governments won't do it but together we can change the world for the better!
http://empower.thisworks.bizz

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/17/2009 5:02:35 PM

Amanda,

That's going to take a little reading. I promise I will.

This is for you and also the others who visit here.

Sheila and I will find it difficult to answer all posts. We may need to do multiple replies. Anyone who needs personal help can PM us anyway.

We aim to give as wide a range of information as we can and EVERYONES input is important.

Please come back frequently, we need the support to undertake a long forum.

Roger (and for Sheila)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/17/2009 5:09:19 PM

Thank you to everyone who posts here.

We promise that all posts will be read even if we don't manage personal replies.

Remember, We aim to give you as broad a spectum of information as we can.

Visit regularly.

Roger and Sheila.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!