Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Alain Deguire

8052 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: What about Respect in Making a Difference?
2/8/2009 12:15:47 PM

Hello Amanda,

This is a good example and simple indeed that you brought up with my name being Alain vs Alan...

Some people could think that I am trying to make myself different by changing the way I write my name, to bring myself out of the crowd or even maybe thinking that I am trying to show myself as somewhat superior in a way... All kind of interpretations could come up from that simple fact alone.

While the truth behind this little difference is simply that I am a francophone from province of Quebec, Canada having French ancestors and that Alain is the French version of Alan that is the English version of the same name. Before my world expand to meet with English people, I didn't know that Alan existed as a name, and same with many English people that I meet nowadays who haven't been exposed to Alain before.

We can easily see from this simple example how just a little difference, like the name of a person, could lead to all sort of thinkings and that it might even be challenging for some to show respect in such a simple expression of Our Difference. Amazing isn't?

Thanks for looking up some of the definitions and for sharing with us here...

Blessings,

Alain

+0
Alain Deguire

8052 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/8/2009 12:22:23 PM

Hi Rinna,

Thank you for sharing this definition from Wikipedia...

and, for this great Cycle of Respect... a very interesting graphic indeed!

You are great, cool GUYS... there is so much that we can come up with in getting together with all of Our Uniqueness...

With Friendship,

Alain

+0
Amanda Martin-Shaver

2587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/8/2009 1:08:07 PM
Hi Alain,

I hear you on name spelling or even pronunciation of ones
name.  One comes to mind..in NZ and England the name
Lance would be pronounced as Larnce - draw out the R as
in
'are' sound. While Australia and America draw out the 'A' 
as in 'Ann' sound and pronounce Laance.

Spelling of peoples names became very particular in our
family, my late mother was Mollie and her spelling had to
be two Ls with an ie.  my elder brother is Philip with one L.
My daughter is Kerie with one R.

As I am writing this, I remember all too clearly the 'ruffled
feathers' I caused because I wanted to change my name
from Heather to use my middle name (Amanda is my middle name) after my mother passed away.  I had asked her
many times as a child why I could not be called Amanda as
I like it better. (nothing wrong with Heather, I just did not
feel like one)
No one listened or cared what I thought or felt, and probably
thought it was a passing faze.  I finally decided enough was
enough, I was not hurting my mother anymore and I would
take Amanda as my name.  There were more friends and
family than I thought would not accept my wishes and why.
I lost my best friend that I had when she was 8 and I was
9. Their reasoning was they had always known me as
Heather and they could not think of me as any other name.  This hurt me lots and there is still some sore spots as they
did not 'respect' my wishes or even cared enough of how I felt.

I believe a person's name is a reflection of how they feel
about themselves - I had quite a change of character and
came completely out of my shell once I finally made that
decision and stuck to it no matter what.

Friendship

Thirty odd years of friendship
And what does it mean?
Was it an illusion?
Or perhaps just a dream

It is over now
From a misunderstanding or other
Broken - shattered
Not to be recovered

I tried to make it up
By writing and visiting
Somehow or other
There is just something missing

That closeness has gone
Just flittered away
I do not know how to put it back
Or what more I can say?

Where did our friendship falter?
Was it really from my name change?
Or the issues with her husband?
And mine from my mother?

We did not see it coming
Perhaps if we had
We might have done some fence mending
Long before it went bad

I feel slighted
She does not seem to forgive no matter what I do
So I will get on with my life
Following the dreams of my heart

I had hoped that we could build a new friendship
Not from the ashes of the other
But based on our mutual interests
But I often think – why bother?

Let the past go
And get on with my life
Shake the dust off my shoes
Life is too short for gripes

So long to this three decade friendship
It was lovely while I had it
The memories are mostly happy
And no one can take that away

Amanda Martin-Shaver ©
28 December 2000

+0
Jean Marie

199 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
2/8/2009 1:49:06 PM

Hi Alain -

This forum has certainly promoted discourse on the subject of respect!  Kudos to you for creating it!

I have often found that although most people believe respect is very important in relationships, yet they often do not have a "road map" to follow in fostering respect.  I thought I might share a simple, 6 step strategy that I have used when facilitating leadership training on the subject of promoting respect. This is typically used in the workplace, but I believe it can be adapted to everyday life.

1. Use laughter - laughter promotes relaxation, which enables open communication. Use patience and try to laugh at common experiences, avoiding issues that are offensive. Humor can take the "edge" out of conversations.

2. Respect requires honesty - although at times the truth may be uncomfortable in the telling, be honest and be diplomatic. Never judge the person or their feelings.  If you approach every situation with honesty, even when not "convenient" to do so, you will garner the respect of others.

3. Listen - the most important part of communication is listening....  whether or not you agree with what is being said, be courteous and listen attentively.  You will not foster mutual respect by always having the "last word" or by interrupting.  Even if you disagree with the point at hand, wait until the person speaking has finished. Then, make any contrary opinion in a courteous manner, using diplomacy and tact.  Remember, especially when it is a "touchy" subject, it took courage for the person to speak to you. Thank them for trusting & respecting you enough to share their ideas or feelings.

4. Have patience - this is one of the hardest areas for people to master.  It takes a great amount of selflessness to adjust our own agenda to wait for others.  Not everyone walks to the beat of the same drummer.  Your time line may not be realistic for someone else.  Having the patience (selflessness) to re-adjust your schedule or agenda will help to promote mutual respect, provided it is done with sincerity.

5.  Make time - it is easier to set aside a part of our busy day for those we get along well with, but always seems more burdensome when there is a personality clash or general dislike.  In our lives, we have all had to deal with people that we would prefer not to. When this is necessary, do you provide this person with the same amount of time that you'd allow for someone you like? For most people, the answer is no...  they "rush" to end the discourse as quickly as possible. If you want to encourage mutual respect with people you don't particularly get along with, then you are going to have to spend some time with them.  Who knows, once you get past that "bad first impression" or behind "their wall", you may find someone that's more pleasant than you originally thought possible.

AND lastly

6. Agree to disagree - not everyone has to be of the same mind, with the same beliefs, nor the same dreams.  How boring this world would be if we were all carbon-copies of each other.  Celebrate the diversity we have, realize that no two people are exactly alike (even twins have arguments), and that we can agree that we will not agree on every issue.  Even when in disagreement, make the attempt to empathize and view the issue through someone else's paradigm. You can "understand" their viewpoint without accepting it as your own. Mutual respect requires an acknowledgement of our diversity.

Well, that's the end of my dissertation, LOL...  I often get a bit carried away when it is a topic that I have strong feelings about.  My apologies for the wordiness, but I truly believe that without mutual respect, differences can't be bridged...  open,courteous discourse, without judgement, is what will pave the road for the betterment of mankind....

Hugs always,

JeanMarie

JeanMarie http://www.3daydancers.com "May you live today from what you learned yesterday to achieve a better tomorrow"
+0
Alain Deguire

8052 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/8/2009 2:21:45 PM

WOW Amanda!

Thank you for sharing about such an important and personal issue... That is certainly not a funny thing to go through... this is sad indeed!

But, isn't amazing how poor we can sometimes be at listening to what is really being expressed by a friend, what are the feelings involved for him/her and be able to accept their needs to act in a way that we sometimes cannot understand or even agree with... but, so what. How would your change in name hurt or threatened someone, especially a friend, to the point of ending a friendship???

It brings so many unanswered questions, it seems...

Your poem Amanda is just wonderful... I really enjoy and love the heartfelt expression of your hurt feelings... Blessings My Friend! May God heal the spots that still hurt for You Amanda!

Thanks again for your heartfelt contribution...

With Friendship,

Alain

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!