Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Amanda Martin-Shaver

2587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: What about Respect in Making a Difference?
2/8/2009 2:24:51 PM
Hello Jean Marie,

I agree, this thread topic is very enjoyable and a lot of great discussion is coming forth.
Thank you for sharing. Your contribution is great and very
good points and explanations covered in different wording
to pull this 'respect' into the circle.

Amanda
+0
Alain Deguire

8052 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/8/2009 2:45:47 PM

Hey Jean Marie!

Amazing stuff My Friend... I want to Thank You so much for sharing this road map to Mutual Respect with us here... This is great contribution that certainly Makes a Difference!

There are so many points in there that are worth going deeper, but I just want to emphasize on the following, especially in regard to the experience of Amanda...

"3. Listen - the most important part of communication is listening....  whether or not you agree with what is being said, be courteous and listen attentively.  You will not foster mutual respect by always having the "last word" or by interrupting.  Even if you disagree with the point at hand, wait until the person speaking has finished. Then, make any contrary opinion in a courteous manner, using diplomacy and tact.  Remember, especially when it is a "touchy" subject, it took courage for the person to speak to you. Thank them for trusting & respecting you enough to share their ideas or feelings."

Even in this short paragraph, there is so much important aspects to consider...

a) I do not personally think that it is necessary or important to mention a contrary opinion, unless I am asked to by the person expressing her point of view... If we consider the issue of name change for Amanda, I do not think there is a need for me or anyone else to say I agree or not... and, then, getting in trying to convince her in changing her point of view... If she asked me my opinion about it, then - this is different - I need to be as honest and courteous as possible in expressing my point of view and, even reassure her that this is my point of view but that she has perfectly the right to her own, and that I will fully respect her decision no matter what...

b) the last phrase is so important... if the person took the risk to share with you so important feelings to her... it is because at some point in time you were able to gain her Trust... be conscious of how precious this is and do not act so that you will loose that Trust forever... Respect The Difference!

With Friendship,

Alain

+0
Jean Marie

199 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
2/8/2009 2:45:53 PM

Dearest Amanda-

How courageous of you to relay your very personal history regarding your name.  

I often wonder if those who walk out of our lives realize what they have walked away from... and how priceless true friendship really is.

Thank you for sharing with us....

Hugs,

JeanMarie

JeanMarie http://www.3daydancers.com "May you live today from what you learned yesterday to achieve a better tomorrow"
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/8/2009 2:47:37 PM

Amanda,

That was not only very interesting but very revealing.

Human nature and reactions are so unpredictable.

Your poem was great. I love to see the way in which people deal with events in their lives and this was revealing and dealt  with the matter concisely.

Thank you Amanda.

Roger

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/8/2009 2:53:02 PM

Wow JeanMarie,

That was wonderful.

I still have to re-read your words.

I can add little until I've had time to digest. There was much wisdom, that I could deduce.

Roger

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!