Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: DECEMER II - Christmas Traditions
12/15/2008 6:33:23 AM
Thank you all for your visit and interest :-)

As soon as this is about Christmas and thus CAROLING TIME let me share with you a few more about this TRADITION still ALIVE, and not just in the countryside but in the cities too! ... and not "practiced" only on Christmas but prepared for an entire "season" :-)

In Romania, children often wander around their neighborhoods singing Christmas carols during this special time of year.

Steps:
1. Teach your children the words of popular holiday songs and poems.

2. Encourage them to practice singing and reciting the verses prior to the holiday.

3. Remember that the songs have religious overtones and deeper meaning.

4. Explain to your children how the songs convey the idea of connecting with God and overcoming the challenges faced in life. Help them prepare for COLINDAT :-)

Traditionally, during the first hours after dark on Christmas' Eve is the time for children to go caroling and the adults stay home to greet them. As they go caroling from house to house, the children receive treats like candy, fruit, baked treats and sometimes even money in appreciation of their performance and as a sign of holiday good will.

The grown-ups caroling goes on Christmas evening and night. The waits -young and mature people - gather in groups and they choose a leader. When they are in the front yard of a house, they perform their repertory to the host. The songs are always accompanied by dance. When the performance is over, the host invites the carolers inside the house for food, drinks and presents.

The Star Carol * Steaua

Children make a star using colored paper and then  they put in its middle an icon of Jesus. Many of  children decorate their star using shiny tinsel. 

"The Star Carol” is a tradition during the 3 days of  Romanian Christmas.

"Do you receive the pretty star,
Pretty and so bright?
It has appeared on the earth,
Just like God thought it would be right;
And it could be seen on high,
Just like we did, in the sky."

While holding the star in the hands the children sing:

"The star has appeared on high, 
Like a big secret in the sky, 
The star is bright, 
May all your wishes turn out right…"

click to listen for the carol!

The Goat Tradition * Capra

Throughout the season, teenagers and  young adults especially enjoy caroling with the “Goat”. The “Goat” is actually a usually boisterous young person dressed up in a goat costume. The whole group dances through the streets and from door to door, often with flute music. This tradition comes from the ancient Roman people and it reminds us of the celebration of the ancient Greek gods. 

This custom is also called "brezaia" in Wallachia and Oltenia, because of the multicolored appearance of the goat mask. The goat jumps, jerks, turns round, and bends, clattering regularly the wooden jaws.

Bear Custom * Ursul

This custom is known only in Moldavia, a part of Romania, on the Christmas Eve. In this case a young person dresses up in a bear costume adorned with red tassels on its ears, on his head and shoulders. The person wearing the bear costume is accompanied by fiddlers and followed by a whole procession of characters, among them a child dressed-up as the bear's cub. Inspired by the crowd’s singing:

"Dance well, you old bear,
 And I’ll give you bread and olives"

the bear grumbles and imitates the steps of the bear, striking strongly against the earth with the soles of its feet to the sound of drums and pipes.

Hope you enjoyed all these :-)

I'll be back with more carols for you to enjoy!

With friendship,

Anamaria

+0
Alain Deguire

8052 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/15/2008 7:02:23 AM
Thank you Anamaria!
I enjoy reading about the history and traditions of your country... that makes me realize that either I am not aware of what's going on in my own country or that we have lost all of these amazing traditions - at least in my own family.
Wish you a Wonderful Holiday Season and a...

Peace be with you!
Alain

+0
Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/15/2008 7:28:26 AM
Hello Alain :-)

How great to greet you again in ROMANIA!

Here is another carol for you:
LOOK, CAROLERS ARE COMING

((youtube id="LzdMP3uQ1JQ"))((/youtube))

the lyrics are some what like this:

Carolers are coming,
When the night is almost over
to greet you and bring joy and
Holly NEWS!

Hope this has some sense in English as it has in ROMANIAN!
Traditions are important to know our roots! Unfortunately many of these are just fairy tales over here too! Lucky us we still have the CAROLING kept all over the places and a few others but mainly in the countryside!

Wish you so very Blessed Holidays and

MARRY CHRISTMAS!

With friendship,
Anamaria

+0
Joe
Joe Downing

9720 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/15/2008 7:34:22 AM

Hello AnaMaria,

I am blessed this day to find your wonderful Christmas Tradition thread.  I love to read about all the traditions around the world in celebration of Christmas.  Isn't it fascinating?  I, like Alain, sense that in my area we have lost many traditions of the years.  Must find ways to bring them back before they are completely lost.

The funny thing about caroling here, if you show up to someone's house to carol, they will not answer their door!  Ha!  Unless it is a family member of course.  LOL!!

I am very much in the Christmas mood and have been listening to dozens of carols each day.  It is a most fantastic time of the year.

Thank you for sharing such rich traditions.  It would be a big pleasure to spend Christmas in Romania just to be part of real traditions.

Christmas hugs,

Joe

***ADLAND BULLETIN BOARD*** What is Xtreme X2O? ###Get some X2O and Jerky RADICAL for the TRUTH! Laus Deo! ** HUG DEPARTMENT: Always OPE
+0
Geketa Holman

2080 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/15/2008 7:43:43 AM
Hello AnaMaria,

What rich traditions your country has have to admit  I never knew anything about Romania until I met you.  Now reading through you forum I am learning so much. This Christmas forum is very interesting and the history is wonderful. Thank you for taking the time to share your country with us both it and you are truly wonderful and amazing. The carols are lovely.

Here in America they used to carol but that is no longer a tradition. I am not sure if anyone carols now. 

Meshugeneh Hugs,

Geketa

Hear, O Israel the L-rd our G-d,the L-rd is one http://www.DHGBoutique.com
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!