Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: Give a man a fish OR teach him how to fish ...
9/5/2005 11:49:53 AM
I would say give him some tips (I have received plenty myself, no complaints thank you)and let him fend for himself. I know myself I don't have a good idea yet, and also there is a time issue, though my wife is coming around as far as being supportive of the idea of having an online business (not sure if she'll be the assistant or the boss). Working the net is like anything, it takes time to know what you're doing (actually I have around the same number of friends as the depicted example.
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
9/8/2005 6:42:04 PM
Ken, Good topic, and some posts to it that made me think. Now, I've spent a great deal of time this week trying to understand this ALP resource; exactly what it's for and what I'm doing here. The quest reminds me of that old story about 4 blind men and an elephant...each was very indignant that the others didn't 'see' what was very obvious. The one who had hold of the tail knew that an elephant was very like a rope; the one who had hold of the ear knew that it was very like a fan, etc. From observation and the forums I was invited to join, I understood that the forums were a place to advertise your business and that you build a friends list in order to have people to whom you advertise. Please keep reading, I'm not through... From the discussions I've been reading this week, that is an erroneous conclusion! So now, please teach us to fish. I know how to invite friends and I know how to accept invitations. I've done more of the latter than the former because I work to understand something before I jump in and do it. It seems to me that the two differing conclusions about the networking here mean that there are two approaches to building your friends list. I'm just not sure which approach to procede with! My purpose in joining was the former. People I've met here who have earned my respect (you, Ms.Beverly and a few others) have convinced me that isn't the appropriate way. I've stayed because I think I'm learning a lot and I enjoy the intellectual stimulation. However, I must make a living. What IS the appropriate way to build and utilize your friends list, or is there NO appropriate way for that purpose? I would like to offer some information, which is valuable in its own right. After hearing it, people can join my opportunity, use my product as a customer, or decide they don't want to do either. A traditional networking opportunity is built on relationships. How is it possilbe to marry the internet, particularly a community of people such as ALP, with a traditional, i.e., not necessarily designed for internet marketing of it? How to determine whether it is even possible to do so with my particular opportunity, which does require some education about it? Sorry such a long post...don't know how to shorten it. If you don't elect to publish it, could you answer me privately? Really, really, really want to know! Cheri PS, Short answer, teach to fish!
+0
Steve Chichester

52 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
9/9/2005 6:13:48 PM
Interesting that this should come up today. I had a discussion yesterday with a new aquaintance who is licensed counselor. I said I found it odd that the government rules on "counseling" are that the counselor shouldn't,- must not- offer solutions, but help people look inside themselves for answers. She said "It's more important to teach them to fish." I observed that if I were teaching someone to fish, (flyfish) I'd SHOW them how to hold the rod, strip the line, work the retrieval with their hand, and demonstrate the procedure to them. It's not something "inside" they need to or can learn. You can't do it for them, but you can show them how. But then that's coaching, not counseling. Which is why I chose coaching. So in this case I think it's fine to coach someone on how to build their business, how to develop productive business relationships on Adland Pro, (which I haven't figured out myself yet) how to create forums that aren't just ads, but of genuine service. That isn't worth the trouble to a lot of people, but everyone must decide for themselves. Unless someone has something so dramatically different, so new and life changing that it deserves editorial publication, then they need to fly on their own wings. Or not. If I found it worthwhile to be an affiliate of the program, then it's a business decision, a business deal. Which I think is what Adland pro is about.
Steve Chichester Empowering Pro*Active People
+0
9/10/2005 5:11:37 AM
I concur with that.
+0
9/10/2005 1:56:33 PM
Hi Cheri, I'm starting to become addicted to the stimulation you give with your questions and your search for the 'holy grail'. I will try to be brief. As you said, networking and advertising are two different things all together. Friends are part of a network. We communicate, share ideas, concerns, our ups and downs, look for and give advice. This is what friends are for. Friends are not right or wrong and out of respect we don't throw out our 'wares' to them giving the feeling of pressure to buy. On the otherside, we can let everyone know what we are about in business. Consider a group of friends meeting at a pub for social time. Sitting around the table with chat and a friend of a friend joins in. We usually have for an ice breaker our mutual friend to do the introductions but some will take the initiative. What is the usual question to break the ice? What do you do for a living? It's discussed but not a sales pitch. Why? (Waiting on reader's reply to this) As for forums, they are our social pub. Many people have forgotten social ettiquette (or were never taught) and need some real lessons in this. Those ettiquettes apply anywhere including forums. There is a particular forum that has been set up for 'internal' advertising of members' wares. It's the "Offers/Requests" catagory and catagory "Advertising". You can start your own forum under the proper catagory and advetise your wares. And not just ads. Include in the forum your descriptions, benefits and whatever. It can be an ongoing journal of your developement with your product(s)/service(s). I hope this will clear some of the use about forums. Thank you again Cheri. Now to go eat and give my brain a break. :-) Kenneth R Sword Jr
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!