Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Trina Sonnenberg

784 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: ARE YOU A RACIST?
8/15/2008 10:47:21 AM
Kathy, the word racist has nothing to do with whether or not a person is good or evil, but it has everything to do with race. To be a racist means to hate people based on their race, and nothing else.

Race - Racist

Get it?

I am not a racist. Assholes come in all shapes, colors and sizes. So, to not like someone because they're a jerk is not being racist.

Likewise, to be homophobic is to hate people based on their sexual orientation and nothing else.

Trina
Trina L.C. Sonnenberg Freelance Commercial Writer TLC Promotions & The Trii-Zine Ezine ISSN 1555-2276 http://www.tlcpromotions.net http://trii-zine.com http://FAA.tlcpromotions.net
+0
Trina Sonnenberg

784 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
8/15/2008 10:58:06 AM
Yes Kathy, if you dislike a person solely because of the color of their skin, you are a racist. It's just like a black person hating all white people because they are white.

The world would be a much better place if people could get to know others before making such decisions. How do you hate someone you don't even know? What is to hate? To hate a person based on the color of their skin rather than who they are as a person, is ignorant.

Who are you to say any of the people you see around town are nasty? Are they nasty because they don't live up to your personal standards? Even if everyone you see is a jerk, then dislike their behavior, not the color of their skin. I know plenty of nasty white people, but that doesn't mean I lump them into a group and hate white people.

A few bad apples do not have to spoil the bunch. Either throw them out of the barrel, or just eat the good ones.

Judge not lest you be judged. People are individuals. Would you think you're being treated fairly if someone who didn't know you hated you because you are white; because they've had bad experiences with other white people?

Think about it.

We are all human beings put on this earth, to share this earth, by God.
Trina L.C. Sonnenberg Freelance Commercial Writer TLC Promotions & The Trii-Zine Ezine ISSN 1555-2276 http://www.tlcpromotions.net http://trii-zine.com http://FAA.tlcpromotions.net
+0
Kathy Hamilton

13886 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/15/2008 11:07:43 AM

Hello friends,

When we talk about Racism, I think people are confused with the real term, better yet I think they are confused with how they feel about some one or everyone by the feelings they have,

Remember everyone grows up thinking and watching how their parents treat and react to others, that forms an impression on our youths behavior.

I think that when we see bad things or see people doing bad things we associate it with Racism. when in fact it really is that we just do not like the person or the behavior.

I think some where in ones brain the translation of racism gets twisted.

When I said I see people and they do nasty things, I am talking about their behavior in whole. So I know then I am not or would not like them based on their behavior. So if I do not like them my interpretation like many could be considered racist. In todays world the true translation of any word now adays means and has formed its own meaning to man to fit the need.

Uneducated or ignorant is another word that is once again mis translated.

People think they know the dictionary and the meaning to words because that is what man has taught them when really infact the words intodays society mean something totally different to many.

Thanks for stoping by.

Kathy

I walk by faith not by sight Profit Clicking http://www.profitclicking.com/?r=simikathy
+0
Kathy Hamilton

13886 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/15/2008 12:31:38 PM
The following letter, dated 15 June 1992, was sent to President Bush
by the National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha'is of the United States
and underscores the importance placed by the Baha'i Faith on the issue
of race unity.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

TO THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES:

A CALL TO ELIMINATE RACISM

DEAR MR. PRESIDENT:

No American can look with indifference upon the tragedy relentlessly
unfolding in our cities.  Its causes lie beyond a particular verdict
or a particular act of oppression.  The fires and deaths in Los
Angeles are only symptoms of an old congenital disease eating at the
vitals of American society, a disease that has plagued our country
ever since slaves were brought from Africa to these shores by their
early settlers.

The Abolitionist movement, the Civil War, the Reconstruction, the
various legislative acts dealing with civil rights, are so many
milestones on the path of progress, but they have fallen far short of
society's needs and have not eliminated the ingrained racism that
blights our existence as a nation.  America's history is a history of
advance and retreat, efforts toward improvement and the abandonment of
such efforts before they had borne fruit.

The solution to the problem of racism is not simple.  Its material
requirements are well known.  They include the provision of economic
security and elimination of poverty, the education of the young and
care of the old.  But the spiritual requirements have been
persistently neglected.  America has not done enough to demonstrate
her commitment to the equality and unity of races, to the dignity of
all human beings whatever their color, and to the moral imperative of
extending love and respect to the entire human family.

Ever since its inception a century ago the American Baha'i community,
inspired by the teachings of Baha'u'llah has made the elimination of
racism one of its principal goals.  Baha'is have ceaselessly warned
that discrimination and oppression would lead to strife, that "enmity
will increase day by day, and the final result will be hardship and
...bloodshed."  They have worked, and pledge to continue to strive,
for the eradication of all forms of prejudice, hatred, and injustice
and for the fulfillment of the noble dream of peace and unity of all
peoples, races, and creeds.

We appeal to you, Mr. President, and all our fellow citizens, not to
turn away from this "most vital and challenging issue."  We plead for
supreme effort on the part of public and private institutions,
schools, and the media, business and the arts, and most all of all to
individual Americans to join hands, accept the sacrifices this issue
must impose, show forth the "care and vigilance it demands, the moral
courage and fortitude it requires, the tact and sympathy it necessitates"
so that true and irreversible progress may be made and the promise of
this great country may not be buried under the rubble of our cities.
I walk by faith not by sight Profit Clicking http://www.profitclicking.com/?r=simikathy
+0
Kathy Hamilton

13886 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/15/2008 12:34:49 PM
Views on racism

(CNN) -- How serious a problem is racism in the United States? A new CNN poll finds that black people and white people have dramatically different views on the subject.

We asked CNN.com readers how they defined racism and how it has affected their lives. Here is a selection of the answers, some of which have been edited for length and clarity.

Blair William of Lexington, South Carolina
I am an Afro Trinidadian who has lived in the U.S. for the past ten years. Racism here is quite subtle. I think that the issue is two-fold. I believe that White America's perception of blacks is still generally negative based on their limited interaction with blacks, whether this is via the media or in person. As such, there is still a feeling of superiority towards black people as a whole... On the other hand, black Americans need to stop devaluing themselves and their people. Another race can only respect you if you respect yourself and currently, I find that blacks still devalue and disgrace each other and themselves.

Lisa Matas of Gaithersburg, Maryland
Racism is the defining of a person, good or bad, by the color of their skin. Racism works both ways -- if you vote for someone just because they're black (or whatever), or you DON'T vote for them just because they're black. Either way it's just as racist.

Cara Peralta of Mount Vernon, Indiana
I think we need to differentiate between prejudice and racism. Prejudice leads to racism. As a public school teacher in rural Indiana, I do see prejudice. I am certain that minorities do encounter racism. With the rise in the Hispanic population, I think this question should not only be posed to blacks and whites, but to Hispanics as well.

Ratish Patel of Lexington, Kentucky
When is it racism versus ignorance? I have known generally kind hearted people in my past that I would not identify as racist but they did assume accepted broad generalizations on certain cultures and races as fact.

Mark Boyle of Muncie, Indiana
I am a firm believer that racism is rampant in the United States. Until we begin to actively stamp out groups that wish to underline racial differences for the simple sake of the difference itself, we will not move forward as a society. Those that would seek to wash out any acknowledgement of race also should take heed. People that say "when I look at that person, I don't see them as black" are robbing that individual of his or her identity. That person is hopefully proud of who they are and race is a part of that. What we are actually talking about here is shared historically cultural experience. The concept of "race" is flawed.
Our differences as human beings are what make this world exciting and interesting. If we were all of the same culture, how boring would that be? The world needs to take a page from the atmosphere in Hawaii - the most racially diverse place in which I have lived.

John Donohue of Pawcatuck, Connecticut
Am I a racist if I believe that minorities seek "handouts" because they feel the government "owes" them for injustices committed against their ancestors?

Leonard Bogard of Oak Grove, Kentucky
Racism, to me, is when you say or do something to someone or about someone that is based on the color of their skin. I've seen racism from and against all races in my lifetime. I've seen it just as much in the north as I have in the south. We are such a mixed and diverse society, that I find it hard to understand how anyone might think that they are purely one race or another.

Leslie Garner of Upper Marlboro, Maryland
As a black woman of course it has affected me...Overt racism is easier to deal with because everything is out in the open; everyone acknowledges just how they feel and you can deal with it [or not]. It is the subtle forms that are so hard because the person practicing this devious form of racism won't/can't acknowledge how their views affect their interaction with me. This explains why your poll shows such a disparity in the numbers. White people can't/won't acknowledge their own racism, even in an anonymous situation such as a poll. It's sad, because we can never move beyond racism until both sides see, understand, acknowledge their role in this problem.

Noel Williams of Dayton, Ohio
Racism is large problem in America. Blacks are acutely aware of this problem as we see and feel the historical effects. Whites have the luxury of not having to see the effects unless they make a conscious effort. That being said, racism is a natural phenomenon; people like to be around people who look like them and have similar experiences. The problem is when people make those natural feelings into negative attitudes about groups that don't look like them. In the case of an economic majority, this results in minority groups being excluded from opportunities. This is precisely why affirmative-action is necessary. Whites have enjoyed affirmative-action for hundreds of years, while Blacks have had a diminishing 40+ years.

Karen Ward of St. Simons Island, Georgia
Racism is most definitely alive and well in the United States. Racism is when one race thinks that they are superior to another. Unfortunately here in America, Whites consider themselves privileged and above other ethnic groups. Globally speaking, Whites are the minority and people of color are the majority. Why is it that Whites continue to suppress the achievements of Blacks and in many cases claim inventions by Blacks as their own? For full knowledge, one must study the true history of America and then and only then would one's perspective and knowledge include the truth.

Suzette Lay-Heard of Athens, Georgia
Racism is alive and well today. I do not understand why white people are blind to the fact that there is racism. On talk shows when white people are painted black and go out in the world, they clearly experience racism. They firmly admit that had they been white in certain circumstances, they would have been treated differently [better]. As a Black American, I have experienced racism on my job. There have been whites promoted over me with less experience and qualifications that I have. It hasn't changed even though I have educated myself by earning a Master's degree in Business Administration.

Jay Brune of Charlotte, North Carolina
Racism is a part of everybody and everything. Every single person has some kind of race bias. I think the biggest problem today is that there is a double standard when it comes to racism. Racism is only against African-Americans. Not true... Michael Richards is grilled for his racist outburst. And rightfully so. However, when Kanye West refers to interracial people as "mutts" no one bats an eyelash. No one alive today was or owned slaves. The double standard on racism imposed by African-American leaders only perpetuates a situation that will never be relieved until all the cards are on the table and people start accepting responsibility for their lives. A divided people are a group most easily controlled.

John Calvao of Chester, Virginia
I am afraid to say that racism will never, I repeat never disappear. People as a whole are too set in their ways. Nobody is born prejudiced but somehow everyone of every race gets there. Just like in Iraq we need to start looking for a happy medium. Toleration instead of a melting pot looks a lot more like reality everyday.

David Jones of Salt Lake City, Utah
Apparently, the way to tell if someone is racist is by looking at their skin color. If you are a Caucasian, you are a racist. If you are African or Latino, you have never had a racist thought in your life. In fact, you should probably be given preferential treatment to offset the racism you have experienced.

Keith Carroll of Las Vegas, Nevada
How long will have to pay for the sins of or fore fathers? Let it go or it will never go away! Racism has become a tool to justify actions on both sides; even gay people say they are the same as black people. When will it end? Well next year I will refer to myself as a Black Irish Lesbian White Islamic Male or BILWIM.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!