Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
John Leal

1107 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Are you an eavesdropper..?
7/7/2008 7:38:20 PM

It's All In The Public Interest!

Making a spectacle of yourself has become the norm with people sharing their private lives in public.

Without bothering to lean over or lower his voice, the bloke at the next table says to the woman he's seated with, "You and I should have run away years ago". Opposite, a man in a business shirt is conducting what sounds like an important sales meeting via the loud-speaker of his mobile phone. In the same city cafe, another audible morsel of private affairs wafts from a table in the corner as a girl practically yells to her friend: "Does she know how close you two are?"

On public transport a few days earlier, a young woman passenger shared her current salary and her desire to quit and go back to university with the entire back half of the bus. These days it's hard to be in any public place without being the unwitting recipient of an intimate detail. We've all become eaves-droppers in an era where society's mute button has ceased to work.

There's a general trend now with ordinary people to reveal their personal life in public. There's a real shift in people's idea of privacy and what's acceptable in public. The convenience of having the mobile phone at hand is stopping people from thinking about their level of discretion. Privacy is so public nowadays. One of the reasons for this could be the influence of reality TV, where making a spectacle of oneself is commonplace.

There are far more easy pickings now for the avid eavesdropper than ever before. For some people, eavesdropping may be a more entertaining past-time than listening to the iPod or the MP3 player. You'll probably find that there are people with their earphones in pretending to listen to music, when they're actually dropping in on conversations. And it is a smorgasboard out there!

I read that someone had invented a mobile phone “zapper” which when pointed at an annoying phone user it cut off the phone’s reception. Bring it on…

Do people who shout into mobile phones in restaurants or the movie theatre annoy you?

+0
Jen
Jen Maxwell

658 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: Are you an eavesdropper..?
7/7/2008 8:45:22 PM

Hi John,

Yes, they do annoy me!  Some people don't seem to care
who hears what conversations they're having.

Imagine a blackmailer moving around listening to all these
conversations or shouting matches, fights or phone sex! Or
perhaps a writer for Steamy Side of Life, wow, that is so
unbelievable.  Basically the US government no longer needs
to listen to all the conversations on the phone anymore....
there's no privacy that is valued if the people themselves
don't value it.

Bring on the "zapper" - I'm with you John.

Jen

Award Winning System cancels mortgage and debt interest on steroids! Without paying more each month! "The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about and refuse to investigate
+0
7/9/2008 4:14:34 PM

John,

Not only do I get annoyed, I have bouts of 'cell phone rage' during which I am at serious risk of being arrested for assault because I've tried to remove a cell phone from a user's ear.

Not only is it presumptuous for people to think that the rest of us really CARE about the drama in their lives, it's discourteous and disrespectful.

My favorite is when I'm talking with someone and the other person starts reading/texting while assuring me that I have their entire attention. 

I think society has become so accustomed to 'talking' via computer, phone or other gadgets that we've lost the art of conversation.  What a pity.

+0
John Leal

1107 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
7/9/2008 7:08:42 PM

Hi Jen

Gee, I never thought of blackmailing anyone, I must look into that... there's been a few times when, no, what am I saying..? Ha ha!

I'm on the lookout for that zapper, don't worry. 

+0
John Leal

1107 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
7/9/2008 7:13:49 PM

Lorraine

Reminds me of the bloke who said to his mate, "Do you talk to your wife during sex?" He replied, "It depends if there's a phone by the bed"

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!