Menu

Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: MANDATORY READING, you just might LEARN something!
1/29/2007 2:10:00 PM

Thanks Jeannie and everyone else who visited so far!

Issue # 61 the first link at the top is from this month, January 2007.  Then they go back month by month down the list.  The publisher, Colleen Kennedy, really works hard on Shore To Shore and she stays in contact with all advertisers.

The thing lots of people may not like about print ads is that it may take a month or more for the magazine to be published.  That's why we need to be sure we're in a solid business that will be around for awhile.  It's upsetting to spend money on advertising and then if the program we're in goes bust, we lost advertising dollars.  Especially since readers keep their magazines and may read them again a few months later and respond to your ad later this year, you want to be in a good business that will be around for awhile.

I mentioned another great print publication yesterday in a different thread in this forum.

New Reply
+0
John Rivera

1329 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
1/29/2007 2:48:22 PM

HI Kathleen

OH YES> SNAIL mail advertising and how inexpensive it is. Yes, we as a group still hit the larger network marketing magazines. Once you place an ad and receive a copy of any of these smaller mags, you will see tons of others advertising in them.  We have used them in the past and they are quite good. Yes, I did look at the ads and maybe I will start to place ads on them one day. Going back to the placement of ads in them would be inexpensive and I know for a fact that some who receive them could care less about Internet advertising and are hooked on the old schooling of print. THanks for sharing your info.

New Reply
+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/29/2007 3:13:36 PM

Hi JR,

Lots of the print people ARE very old-school.  I've heard that 80% of print-mail advertisers don't advertise online.  So the market is WIDE open to introduce something new to the print world, IF it's reputable and has been around awhile.

New Reply
+0
Yvette Lemon Tolliver

396 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
1/29/2007 8:49:42 PM

Hi Kathleen,

I have used Shore to Shore and some other similar publications in the mail order industry. The response I received was fairly good. I use this method whenever I can.

I recently submitted a couple of ads (a couple of months ago) which have not run yet. So, yes the process is very slow, especially if you are going through an independent broker who represents many publications but has good prices for a package.

I inquired about my order and the broker wrote back that some publications have had to comply with new printing requirements. I have to give them time. More time...

Bottom line, find a good broker or order through the publication directly. Your ad will get seen... whenever it does run... lol.

Yvette

New Reply
+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/29/2007 9:37:57 PM

Hi Yvette,

Brokers usually have their own deadlines which are supposed to be 10-14 days before the publication deadline.  What they do is buy full pages of ad space and sell smaller portions to advertisers.  Then any space that isn't sold, the broker puts his own ads there, he or she makes a little profit on all ad space sold so ultimately they can run their own ads at no cost to themself.

The deadline for Shore to Shore is the 25th of every month.  A cheaper way to advertise would be to run several ads together in a large block of space.  Such as for STS, a 1-inch ad is $5, and a 2-inch ad is $7, but if you send in two 1-inch ads that are copied together on paper as a 2-inch vertical, you could then just pay $7 for 2 inches of space which is really two 1-inch ads.  That would bring your cost down to $3.50 per ad.

Or put 4 one-inch ads together, two across and two down, copied on paper as a 4x5 block, which costs $16, that would actually be 4 of your ads only costing $4 each.

Back to brokering, I think you probably get it but other people might want more info.  A full page in STS costs $50, other magazines have different rates, but if you sell 1-inch ads for $4 each which is a dollar less than people would pay directly to the magazine, you can fit 30 ads on a page, ten down in 3 columns.  If you only sell 13 of those you earn $52 dollars, you can pay STS their $50 for the 8x11 space, and still have a $2 profit, and 17 inches of ad space for yourself.  But you'd have to paste-up the page and make a nice copy of it before mailing it to the publisher.  That's not too difficult, ask people to send you their 1-inch display ads, get a ruler and divide your paper into 3 vertical columns approximately 2.75 inches across, and ten ads down each column, one inch vertical for each, use a tiny piece of tape on each side of the customers ads and when you're done with all that, run it thru a copier to get a good copy.  Then mail it to the publisher with payment.  Your ads won't cost anything and you earn a profit.

Here's the address of a good and quick typesetter, 1-inch ads are $3 plus two stamps, 30 words.  You get 18 copies.  There are other sizes I'll post tomorrow or you can write to him for all prices, the owner's name is Don Roberts:

Yonah Press, PO Box 19, Houston MO  65483

New Reply
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!