Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: ARE WE NOW IN THE END TIMES?
2/18/2017 5:22:14 PM

Abundant fish draw 1 million penguins to Argentine peninsula

Associated Press

Penguins walk on a beach at Punta Tombo peninsula in Argentina's Patagonia, on Friday, Feb. 17, 2017. Drawn by an unusually abundant haul of sardines and anchovies, over a million penguins visited the peninsula during this years' breeding season, a recent record number according to local officials. Punta Tombo represents the largest colony of Magellanic penguins in the world. (AP Photo/Maxi Jonas)

PUNTA TOMBO, Argentina (AP) — More than a million penguins have traveled to Argentina's Punta Tombo peninsula during this year's breeding season, drawn by an unusual abundance of small fish.

Local officials say that's a record number in recent years for the world's largest colony of Magellanic penguins, offering an especially stunning spectacle for the tens of thousands of people who visit the reserve annually.

The peninsula's tiny islets are well-suited to nesting and have sardines and anchovies close to the shoreline. The flightless birds come on shore in September and October and stay while the males and females take turns caring for their eggs and hunting for food.

The warm-weather birds breed in large colonies in southern Argentina and Chile and migrate north as far as southwestern Brazil between March and September.

They are around 20 inches (50 centimeters) tall and have a broad crescent of white feathers that extends from just above each eye to the chin and a small area of pink on the face.

(Yahoo News)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/18/2017 5:39:04 PM
Fish

Thousands of dead fish found near Manzanillo, Costa Rica

© MSP
More than two kilometers of beach near Manzanillo, on the Gulf of Nicoya, were filled with dead fish Wednesday morning, authorities said.

Disturbing images coming from Costa Rica's Gulf of Nicoya showed thousands of dead sardines washed ashore near the coastal town of Manzanillo.

Preliminary online reports from various agencies including marine conservation group Fundación MarViva say that the washed-up hordes of fish were seen for a few kilometers.

According to a Facebook post from MarViva, it seems only to be a sardine species that suffered the widespread deaths. However,no exact cause for the incident is yet known.

The report said it is unlikely that the phenomenon was caused by chemical poisoning or that it has anything to do with warmer water temperatures in the Gulf of Nicoya, since a single species appears to have been affected.

The following video posted to Twitter by Coast Guard officials shows the sheer scale of fish left dead on the surrounding beach:

"It's possible that this is related to the eating habits of the sardines," the MarViva announcement read. "Since they are herbivores, a mass mortality of this type could have something to do with the consumption of a toxic phytoplankton or algae that may have become more prevalent in the Gulf."

Coast Guards and marine biologists arrived quickly on the scene to analyze the strange incident and take samples for researchers at the National University, a press release from the Public Security Ministry noted. The officials scanned the 2.05-kilometer expanse in Manzanillo where the dead fish were seen on land and floating in water just above the Abangaritos River.

MarViva's announcement further recommended that people in the region refrain from eating sardines for the time being.

Recent appearances of dead fish in other parts of Latin America, such as Chile, have similarly puzzled marine biology experts. Two weeks ago, a 20-meter-long blue whale washed up on the beach in Costa Rica's Santa Rosa National Park in Guanacaste.

© Vanessa Masís

Thousands of dead sardines appeared on beaches across the Nicoya Peninsula Wednesday.

(sott.net)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/19/2017 12:12:40 AM

Sci-Fi Becomes Reality: GMO Cyborg Dragonfly Could Soon Be Spying On You

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/19/2017 12:29:31 AM

We Have a Choice. - 6 Months to Live

Sat, 02/18/2017 - 08:38

The world is doing some pretty crazy things right now. Between Brussels, Nigeria, and the current political situation and actions in the US, I often feel dumbfounded, angry, and deeply saddened.

This is to say nothing of the recent GoFundMe campaigns from friends who are raising money for their baby girl who needs major heart surgery, a friend from high school who is dying, leaving his 2-year-old son behind, and another friend’s family’s dog who will die without immediate surgery. It’s days like these, when I’m left asking, “What is going on in the world?”

It can feel easy to give up or zone out, or we can make a choice. A choice to see the good. A choice to do good. A choice to be the good we wish to see in the world.

*One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, “My son, the battle is between 2 “wolves” inside us all.

One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: “Which wolf wins?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

Which do you choose to feed? There’s always (minimum) two sides to every story, so although all of what I mentioned above has a demoralizing component, there’s also so much good. People chose to take action.

People are speaking up and out for freedom. Prayers around the world and aid are being sent to Belgium and Nigeria. People have made a choice to come together and raise the money needed for my friend’s daughter’s surgery. The dog is on its way to receiving the support their family needs. My friend from high school’s wife is able to take months off work to spend the remaining time with him and his 2-year-old in his final moments of life.

And the best part is? You get to choose every single day. Not just for the world, but for you in your world. Love or Fear? Hate or Kindness? Compassion or Bigotry? There is love. There is hope. There is change.

Look for what unites us rather than divides us.

I hope you choose to feed the love wolf daily, for the stronger she grows, the better we are as people and the brighter our world becomes.

*Stories origins are debated as to whether it’s a Native American legend, but still a great story!*

Jaqueline Boone runs the website 6 Months To Live, where she asks the question, “What would you do if you had 6 months to live?” You can learn more by signing up for her newsletterand following her on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram.

http://6monthstolive.me/we-have-a-choice/

Category:

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/19/2017 9:20:55 AM

+1