Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: G F Watts, Victorian Artist and Sculptor
5/29/2011 5:26:25 PM

GREAT NEWS

"Hope" is back.

It has it's own dedicated room and it deserves it.

His Royal Highness Prince Charles visited a few days ago and was impressed with what has been done to the gallery.

I look forward to seeing Watts' wonderful horse wheeled out on it's rails when the Sculpture gallery is opened up to everyone. This is his model for Physical Energy which is in Kensington Gardens in London.

+0
Cheryl Baxter

2279 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/4/2011 7:01:36 AM
Hi Roger,

The video is great....nice to see the pictures that Luis Miguel posted too. G F Watts was quite talented, to say the least. Living so close to where these people lived is awesome. It must make you proud to be in such good company, with the likes of Watts and Tennyson.

Take care and have a nice weekend,

Cheryl
http://texasgalswholesaleproperties.com "browse our current properties" http://fortworthwholesaleproperty.com "check out our real estate blog" http://mydiscountchristianbooks.com "online bibles, books, music, more"
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/4/2011 7:42:32 AM
Quote:
Hi Roger,

The video is great....nice to see the pictures that Luis Miguel posted too. G F Watts was quite talented, to say the least. Living so close to where these people lived is awesome. It must make you proud to be in such good company, with the likes of Watts and Tennyson.

Take care and have a nice weekend,

Cheryl

Cheryl,

Great to see you here.

Yes, I'm very lucky.

This area was known to the Victorians as Little Switzerland due to the elevation, clean air and lovely views. Hindhead and Blackdown were favourites among the painters, writers, poets etc. We have great local history.

Roger

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/29/2011 2:07:53 PM

Watts Gallery Opening Hours

Tuesday to Saturday: 11am - 5pm
Sunday: 1pm – 5pm
Mondays: Closed (except Bank Holidays)

Watts Gallery Visitor Centre Opening Times

Tuesday to Saturday: 10.30am - 5.15pm
Sunday: 12.30 - 5.15pm
Monday: Closed (except Bank Holidays)
There is no charge for admission to the Visitor Centre

Watts Chapel Opening Times

Monday to Sunday: 9am - 5pm

Admission Charges

Standard Adult: £7.50 (£6.50 without donation for Gift Aid)
Children under 16: Free
Student price: £3.50
Art Fund: Free
Carers: Free
Discounted Tuesdays (every Tuesday): All tickets £2
(No group booking on Tuesdays)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/29/2011 2:09:47 PM

Taken from website

Early Life and Career

George Frederic Watts was born on 23 February 1817 at 52 Queen Street, Bryanston Square, London. His father George Watts (1775-1845) was a pianoforte maker and tuner. His mother Harriet Ann (1786/7-1826) was his father’s second wife and died when Watts was just nine, his three younger brothers having died three years earlier in a measles epidemic. Watts himself suffered from ill health, which meant a strict religious home education augmented by the Iliad and the novels of Walter Scott. His early talent for drawing was encouraged by his father, and in 1827 he entered the studio of the sculptor William Behnes (1794-1865) in Dean Street, Soho. This gave Watts access to the ‘Elgin marbles’, works that would influence him throughout his career.

Watts entered the Royal Academy of Schools on 30 April 1835 but found the relaxed attitude to teaching unhelpful, attending at first intermittently before ceasing to go at all. He first exhibited at the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition in 1837, when his works included A Wounded Heron and two portraits. Portraiture was both the bread and butter of a burgeoning artist and the opportunity to secure important patrons. His natural ability for portraiture ensured early patronage including many of those of the Ionides family.

In 1842 the Royal fine Arts Commission announced a competition to decorate the new Palaces of Westminster through the submission of large-scale drawings (cartoons). The 140 entries were exhibited a year later and included Watts’s Caractacus Led in Triumph through the Streets of Rome (fragments at the V&A) which won the artists the highest premium of £300.

Mark Bills

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!