Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Thomas Richmond

15469 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
SUNDAY SHOWCASE Featuring TIM SOUTHERNWOOD 10/28
10/27/2007 7:17:25 PM
This weeks showcase features a man of great respect from me not because hes from Canada but because of his business sence and the quality of his outcomes with persiverance and family life. I am please to introduce a friend a mentor and a real nice guy lol. Tim Southernwood. As you know here is some history facts of his homeland. Canada

The name Canada comes from a St. Lawrence Iroquoian word meaning "village" or "settlement." In 1535, inhabitants of the present-day Quebec City region used the word to direct explorer Jacques Cartier toward the village of Stadacona. Cartier used the word 'Canada' to refer to not only that village, but the entire area subject to Donnacona, Chief at Stadacona. By 1545, European books and maps began referring to this region as Canada.

The French colony of Canada referred to the part of New France along the Saint Lawrence River and the northern shores of the Great Lakes. Later, it was split into two British colonies, called Upper Canada and Lower Canada until their union as the British Province of Canada in 1841. Upon Confederation in 1867, the name Canada was adopted for the entire country, and was frequently referred to as the Dominion of Canada until the 1950s. As Canada asserted its political autonomy from Britain, the federal government increasingly simply used Canada on legal state documents and treaties. The Canada Act 1982 refers only to "Canada" and, as such, it is currently the only legal (and bilingual) name. This was reflected in 1982 with the renaming of the national holiday from Dominion Day to Canada Day.

History

The fur trade was Canada's most important industry until the 1800s
The fur trade was Canada's most important industry until the 1800s

Aboriginal and Inuit tradition holds that the First Peoples inhabited parts of Canada since the dawn of time. Archaeological studies support a human presence in northern Yukon from 26,500 years ago, and in southern Ontario from 9,500 years ago.Europeans first arrived when the Vikings settled briefly at L'Anse aux Meadows circa AD 1000. The next Europeans to explore Canada's Atlantic coast included John Cabot in 1497 for England  and Jacques Cartier in 1534 for France;seasonal Basque whalers and fishermen would subsequently exploit the region between the Grand Banks and Tadoussac for over a century .

French explorer Samuel de Champlain arrived in 1603 and established the first permanent European settlements at Port Royal in 1605 and Quebec City in 1608. These would become respectively the capitals of Acadia and Canada. Among French colonists of New France, Canadiens extensively settled the St. Lawrence River valley, Acadians settled the present-day Maritimes, while French fur traders and Catholic missionaries explored the Great Lakes, Hudson Bay and the Mississippi watershed to Louisiana. The French and Iroquois Wars broke out over control of the fur trade.

The English established fishing outposts in Newfoundland around 1610 and colonized the Thirteen Colonies to the south. A series of four Intercolonial Wars erupted between 1689 and 1763. Mainland Nova Scotia came under British rule with the Treaty of Utrecht (1713); the Treaty of Paris (1763) ceded Canada and most of New France to Britain following the Seven Years' War.

The Royal Proclamation (1763) carved the Province of Quebec out of New France and annexed Cape Breton Island to Nova Scotia. It also restricted the language and religious rights of French Canadians. In 1769, St. John's Island (now Prince Edward Island) became a separate colony. To avert conflict in Quebec, the Quebec Act of 1774 expanded Quebec's territory to the Great Lakes and Ohio Valley, and re-established the French language, Catholic faith, and French civil law in Quebec; it angered many residents of the Thirteen Colonies, helping to fuel the American Revolution. The Treaty of Paris (1783) recognized American independence and ceded territories south of the Great Lakes to the United States. Approximately 50,000 United Empire Loyalists fled the United States to Canada.[14] New Brunswick was split from Nova Scotia as part of a reorganization Loyalist settlements in the Maritimes. To accommodate English-speaking Loyalists in Quebec, the Constitutional Act of 1791 divided the province into French-speaking Lower Canada and English-speaking Upper Canada, granting each their own elected Legislative Assembly.

Canada was a major front in the War of 1812 between the United States and British Empire. Its defence contributed to a sense of unity among British North Americans. Large-scale immigration to Canada began in 1815 from Britain and Ireland. The timber industry would also surpass the fur trade in importance in the early 1800s.

The desire for Responsible Government resulted in the aborted Rebellions of 1837. The Durham Report (1839) would subsequently recommend responsible government and the assimilation of French Canadians into British culture. The Act of Union (1840) merged The Canadas into a United Province of Canada. French and English Canadians worked together in the Assembly to reinstate French rights. Responsible government was established for all British North American provinces by 1849.

The signing of the Oregon Treaty by Britain and the United States in 1846 ended the Oregon boundary dispute, extending the border westward along the 49th parallel, and paving the way for British colonies on Vancouver Island (1849) and in British Columbia (1858). Canada launched a series of western exploratory expeditions to claim Rupert's Land and the Arctic region. The Canadian population grew rapidly because of high birth rates; British immigration was offset by emigration to the United States, especially by French Canadians moving to New England.

Following several constitutional conferences, the British North America Act brought about Confederation creating "one Dominion under the name of Canada" on July 1, 1867 with four provinces: Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick. Canada assumed control of Rupert's Land and the North-Western Territory to form the Northwest Territories, where Métis' grievances ignited the Red River Rebellion and the creation of the province of Manitoba in July 1870. British Columbia and Vancouver Island (which had united in 1866) and the colony of Prince Edward Island joined Confederation in 1871 and 1873, respectively.

Prime Minister John A. Macdonald's Conservative Party established a National Policy of tariffs to protect nascent Canadian manufacturing industries. To open the West, the government sponsored construction of three trans-continental railways (most notably the Canadian Pacific Railway), opened the prairies to settlement with the Dominion Lands Act, and established the North West Mounted Police to assert its authority over this territory. In 1898, after the Klondike Gold Rush in the Northwest Territories, the Canadian government decided to create the Yukon territory as a separate territory in the region to better control the situation. Under Liberal Prime Minister Wilfrid Laurier, continental European immigrants settled the prairies, and Alberta and Saskatchewan became provinces in 1905.

Canadian soldiers would win the Battle of Vimy Ridge in 1917.
Canadian soldiers would win the Battle of Vimy Ridge in 1917.

Canada automatically entered the First World War in 1914 with Britain's declaration of war, sending volunteers to the Western Front. The Conscription Crisis of 1917 erupted when conservative Prime Minister Robert Borden brought in compulsory military service over the objection of French-speaking Quebecers. In 1919, Canada joined the League of Nations independently of Britain; in 1931 the Statute of Westminster affirmed Canada's independence.

The Great Depression of 1929 brought economic hardship to all of Canada. In response, the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (CCF) in Alberta and Saskatchewan presaged a welfare state as pioneered by Tommy Douglas in the 1940s and 1950s. Canada declared war on Germany independently during World War II under Liberal Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King, three days after Britain. The first Canadian Army units arrived in Britain in December 1939.Canadian troops played important roles in the Battle of the Atlantic, the failed 1941 Dieppe Raid in France, the Allied invasion of Italy, the Battle of the Scheldt during the liberation of the Netherlands in 1944. The Canadian economy boomed as industry manufactured military materiel for Canada, Britain, China and the Soviet Union. Despite another Conscription Crisis in Quebec, Canada finished the war with one of the largest armed forces in the world.

In 1949, Newfoundland joined Confederation as Canada's 10th province. Post-war prosperity and economic expansion ignited a baby boom and attracted immigration from war-ravaged European countries.

Quebec underwent profound social and economic changes during the Quiet Revolution of the 1960s. Québécois nationalists began pressing for greater provincial autonomy. The separatist Parti Québécois first came to power in 1976. A referendum on sovereignty-association in 1980 was rejected by a solid majority of the population, and a second referendum in 1995 was rejected by a slimmer margin of just 50.6% to 49.4%.] In 1997, the Canadian Supreme Court ruled unilateral secession by a province to be unconstitutional; Quebec's sovereignty movement has continued nonetheless.

The Queen and the Registrar General signing the Constitution Act, 1982.
The Queen and the Registrar General signing the Constitution Act, 1982.

Under successive Liberal governments of Lester B. Pearson and Pierre Trudeau, a new Canadian identity emerged. Canada adopted its current Maple Leaf Flag in 1965. In response to a more assertive French-speaking Quebec, the federal government became officially bilingual with the Official Languages Act of 1969. Non-discriminatory Immigration Acts were introduced in 1967 and 1976, and official multiculturalism in 1971; waves of non-European immigration have changed the face of the country. Social democratic programs such as Universal Health Care, the Canada Pension Plan, and Canada Student Loans were initiated in the 1960s and consolidated in the 1970s; provincial governments, particularly Quebec, fought these as incursions into their jurisdictions. Finally, Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau pushed through the patriation of the constitution from Britain, enshrining a Charter of Rights and Freedoms based on individual rights in the Constitution Act of 1982.

Economic integration with the United States has increased significantly since World War II. The Canada-United States Automotive Agreement (or Auto Pact) in 1965 and the Canada-United States Free Trade Agreement of 1987 were defining moments in integrating the two economies. Canadian nationalists continued to worry about their cultural autonomy as American television shows, movies and corporations became omnipresent.However, Canadians take special pride in their system of universal health care and their commitment to multiculturalism.  TIM For You Thanks for the Brief segment Lol. WE LOVE YOU TIM!  On behalf of Tim of replying because of his busy schedgual i have appointed Diane B. to reply for Him. Thank you Diane your a sweetheart.

Hi Everyone,

Thomas has invited me to share with you a bit of my life, and while I'm not one for the limelight, I agreed to participate. Thomas has been a great friend and supporter here in Adland, and he deserves my support.
I think its forums like this and others that make Adland the Great place that it is, however I'm also going to say that a person can spend WAY too much time posting here, there, and everywhere. If you ever want to make enough to go full time online, then you're going to have to realize the importance of income producing activities. All the "awards" and recognition mean little when it comes to paying the bills. At least that's the realization I've come to..

I'll spare you the long version life story until I publish my auto-biography, suffice it to say I've lived a lot!
I've enjoyed adventure on the high seas, participated in a real life bar-room brawl, hunted for gold amongst them thar "bar's" (bears), I've faced death, and tragedy, divorce, and loss.
I've also experienced triumph, notariety, miracles, and witnessed the birth of each of my four girls (the latter being the highest points in my life)

There isn't much I can't do given the time and desire to apply myself, and I can attribute that to my life experiences, and everything I learned from my parents. My Dad who recently passed away taught me the value of hard work, sacrifice, and how the success that comes from them should always be viewed as a gift. I learned that I don't need a reward for everything I do, because the very act of doing something for others is often it's own reward.

My Mom, the best cook I've ever known, taught me how to put things together following a plan. Deviate from that plan..and who knows what will come out of the "oven". That being said, cooking is pretty much "chemistry" and once you know it..there's always room to improvise and experiment. Most of my finest creations came from my inner knowledge, intuition, and experimentation.

I'm going to have a special announcement for all Adlanders very soon regarding our Launch which is going to be HUGE, but in order to handle the massive influx of members I am also going to need some extra help.
So here is an OPEN INVITATION to all of my friends here in Adland, if you'd like to participate at the front end of a launch, learn a lot about how these things work from the inside, and get an ULTRA SPECIAL DEAL on a HIGH VALUE membership, send me a private message here in Adland for an interview and I'll get back to you.

Thanks again to Thomas for this opportunity, and thanks to all of you for taking the time to participate here. (now get back to WORK! lol)

Tim Southernwood
CEO - SuccessPatrol.com
AKA - mistrtim
AT YOUR SERVICE. Drop A Line With The Pros!! http://www.goneclicking.com/?rid=7178 http://www.protrafficshop.com/?rid=5719 Chief Administrator & Support
+0
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: SUNDAY SHOWCASE Featuring TIM SOUTHERNWOOD 10/28
10/27/2007 7:44:49 PM

Thank-you Thomas for doing this for Tim.  He is truly honoured and delighted.

You have done just an awesome job on our history.  Amazing!

I thought you might like some pictures of Edmonton..... :-)

totem.jpg

A totem pole on the legislature grounds

city1.jpg
Part of the downtown core

flame.jpg
The Centennial Flame at the Alberta Legislature

stores.jpg
Inpressive architecture at West Edmonton Mall

stat.jpg
A statue across from City Hall

thank-you Thomas....very kewl

Peace and  Light to you

Diane
+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/27/2007 7:45:33 PM
HELLO THOMAS

A new nice introduction and design. GO CANADA GO and Tim is an old good friend always there together with his friends. I know Tim from the Good old Days whne we were members in WOSAT.

CONGRATULATIONS TIM
Enjoy your  Sunday ShowCase

We will enjooy this SUnday in many ways.

Here is my way

PEACE TO ALL PEOPLE.
Today is National Day in Greece.

In 1985 Theodorakis gave a concert in Belgium with his ensemble.
Here are the songs of that concert.

O Antonis from the cycle Mauthausen (Kambanellis) sung
by Maria Farantouri

Click above

Happy Sunday
Georgios

ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0
Thomas Richmond

15469 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/27/2007 7:55:56 PM
Thank you Geo for your comments on the showcase!
AT YOUR SERVICE. Drop A Line With The Pros!! http://www.goneclicking.com/?rid=7178 http://www.protrafficshop.com/?rid=5719 Chief Administrator & Support
+0
Thomas Richmond

15469 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/27/2007 7:58:14 PM
Thank you Diane for your help! Pretty cool Land you guys have up there! hehe
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!