Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Universal Default
6/27/2006 9:05:58 PM
Hi, everyone. It's just been brought to my attention that I haven't written on this topic, yet, and I'm anxious to correct that. This is one of the most insidious hazards lurking in the fine print of your credit card agreements and is now being seen in mortgage agreements or trust deed notes. Here's how it works. Somewhere in your eight-page, fine-print agreement with your credit card issuer (you know, the one you threw away?) or in one of the Change in Agreement inserts in your bill that you never read, someting like this language appears: "...we may also consider your account to be in default at any time if...we receive information indicating that you...are unable to pay your debts as they become due or are otherwise not credit-worthy...in our discretion we may consider the amount of debt you are carrying compared to your resources or any other of your credit characteristics, regardless of your performance on this Account." (Emphasis mine.) This or similar language now appears in virtually every credit card agreement, and if it wasn't there when you opened your account, because you continued to use your account after they notified you in one of those sneaky inserts in your bill, it is now. What does this mean for you? If you don't carry credit cards or pay in full monthly, it means nothing. As long as you don't slip up! But if you carry balances, watch out. Perhaps you are great at staying on top of your payments, so that you never actually have a late payment. But if one card happens to run an audit and decides you are carrying too many or too much outstanding debt, expect every one of them to go up to the default rate, now in the 29-33% range. Let's see how long you can juggle it if that happens. Don't overlook paying your mortgage, utility bills, and other entities that may report to credit agencies, also. Any 30-day late report on your credit can trigger this clause, not just credit cards. Now, in addition to this, remember that credit card minimum payments are going up, and that according to new bankruptcy laws effective last year most consumer debt can't be eliminated through that route. Now you have a recipe for real financial disaster with no way out. What's the answer? Some say cut up your credit cards. If you don't have an effective way to track your spending and discipline to pay them off monthly I would agree. However, if you want to use them for convenience and sky miles or rebates, go ahead. Just make sure that when the payment comes due, you make it in full and on time. If you'd like to know all about the effective tool I use to do that, contact me through my website. Cheri
+0
Lucy Walker

241 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Universal Default
6/27/2006 9:13:21 PM
Interesting! That means that someone who has it in for you can give out information about your job situation and cause you to lose your credit worthiness in the eyes of your creditors. Charming! Lucy
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
6/27/2006 9:23:35 PM
Hi, Lucy I don't think I'd be as worried about that as I would be about overextending myself with credit. I don't know what mechanism someone would use to report that. But yes, someone who wanted to cause you trouble could make a false report on your credit history. It's up to you to police what's in your report. If you think you are being victimized by a creditor exercising this clause due to inaccurate information on your credit report, you can probably get them to suspend action until you have addressed it. Any time there is inaccurate or patently false information on a credit report, you have the right to challenge it by writing to the appropriate credit agency. They will place your letter in your file and contact the creditor or person who made the report asking them to provide validating information. If they haven't done so within a certain period of time, the agency must remove the inaccurate information. Rely on government publications or the agencies' websites for specific information. Cheri
+0
6/27/2006 9:47:40 PM
Cheri, Thanks for that information, been able to keep Main credit card paid up each month. But, have paid off two and had them closed. Living here in south central IL and a village that has no business, I must have one master card. I have to take Sherry to Doctors in Evensville IN about once or twice a month and always close to end of month, meaning no cash on hand. God Bless Ken
You can join a unique system that could earn you an extra $50, 100 or even $200 a day. All the details are on this web page, It's Free, so use this link right now. http://www.otogoldmine.com/939/go
+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/27/2006 9:53:43 PM
Hello Cheri, Thank you for the invitation and your inforamtion. Normally we sign applications without reading the "small letter" and there is all the details on what, when, how and all the obligations. I have only one e-card wich I needed to open a PayPal to transfer money to Internet. I have all payments under control. Best Regards Georgios PS. NEW SPECIAL FORUM: (Membership accepted till Saturday) THE MYSTERIES - UNKNOWN TRUTH
ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!