Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: St Paddy's Day is Just Around the Corner...Let's Celebrate and Have Some Fun!
3/8/2008 10:59:50 AM

Ey Thomas, da party wouldn't be right without you ere...LOL

Who Did St Patrick's Homework?

+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: St Paddy's Day is Just Around the Corner...Let's Celebrate and Have Some Fun!
3/9/2008 7:52:30 AM

Well, I had some fun practicing my Irish! The party isn't over yet. It's still a ways to the 17th. I hope I didn't scare everyone away!

+0
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/9/2008 10:49:45 AM
Good Morning - whew I am not late :-)

I gave a lot of thought to what I could contribute to this fine forum, I hope you enjoy

St. Patrick's Day – Celebrating the Green

St. Patrick is believed to have driven the snakes from Ireland. Once a pagan himself, St. Patrick is one of Christianity's most widely known figures.

The modern secular holiday is based on the original Christian saint's feast day also thought to be the date of the saint's death. In 1737, Irish immigrants to the United States began observing the holiday publicly in Boston and held the first St. Patrick's Day Parade in New York City in 1766.

Today, the tradition continues with people from all walks and heritages by wearing green, eating Irish food, and attending parades. St. Patrick's Day is bursting with folklore; from the shamrock to the leprechaun and to pinching those that are not wearing green.

IRISH SMASHED POTATOES (Colcannon)
Ingredients :
2 cups - Green cabbage, shredded
2 cups - Mashed potatoes
1/4 cup - Green onions, sliced
1/8 tsp - Pepper
Butter or margarine
Parsley
Preparation :
Heat 1/2-inch water to boiling. Stir in cabbage, cover and heat to boiling. Cook 5 minutes, drain. Prepare mashed potatoes, fold in cabbage, onions and pepper. Dot with butter, sprinkle with parsley. Serves 4.

A Joke

Two Irishmen, Patrick & Michael, were adrift in a lifeboat following a dramatic escape from a burning freighter. While rummaging through the boat's provisions, Patrick stumbled across an old lamp. Secretly hoping that a genie would appear, he rubbed the lamp vigorously To the amazement of Patrick, a genie came forth. This particular genie, however, stated that he could only deliver one wish, not the standard three. Without giving much thought to the matter, Patrick blurted out, "Make the entire ocean into Guinness Beer!" The genie clapped his hands with a deafening crash, and immediately the entire sea turned into the finest brew ever sampled by mortals. Simultaneously, the genie vanished. Only the gentle lapping of Guinness on the hull broke the stillness as the two men considered their circumstances. Michael looked disgustedly at Patrick whose wish had been granted. After a long, tension-filled moment, he spoke: "Nice going Patrick! Now we're going to have to pee in the boat!

To Your Success,

Diane
+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/9/2008 6:01:49 PM

Ahh Diane, you finally made it!! Congratulations...and thank you for sharing the recipe, and the history, and yes, the joke. Question...are the potatoes green too?

+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/9/2008 6:51:19 PM

Hi Jim!!

This party is just getting started - we have 8 days to go!!!!

Just stopped by to check up on it - lots of fun stuff  - I snitched the potatoe recipe from Diane

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!