Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: EASY as 1 - 2 - 3 Whole Food Farmacy and Eating Healthy !
5/16/2008 2:53:32 PM
The Wholefood Farmacy’s Wellness Program, know as 90 Days To Wellness

Join for Free !
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/18/2008 8:50:21 PM

Join for Free !

EASY as 1 - 2 - 3   Whole Food Farmacy and Eating Healthy !

+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/20/2008 10:32:36 AM

Top 10 Glycemic Impact Snacks
1. Yogurt: Buy low-fat or nonfat, no-sugar added yogurt. Organic with "live cultures" are healthiest.

2. Nuts: An ideal combination of unsaturated fat, protein and carbs, nuts are portable and nutritious. Buy dry-roasted (no oil added) unsalted nuts or peanuts in the shell, average size is a "handful," about 200 calories, depending on the variety.

3. Dips & Dippers: Avocado dip (guacamole), chickpea dip (hummus) or tomato salsa, all made without mayonnaise (use a little olive oil instead) with cut-up crunchy veggies.

. Cheese: Low-fat varieties: read the label, the first ingredient should be skim milk. Nonfat or 1-percent cottage cheese is a great snack; mix with salad herbs or black pepper for added flavor.

5. Cereal: 100-percent whole-grain cereal with a cup of nonfat milk.

6. Fruit: Whole fruit including berries, melon, apples, oranges and grapefruit have the most fiber and fewest grams of carbohydrate per serving. Eat along with some nonfat yogurt or low-fat cheese, or a handful of nuts.

7. Popcorn: Air-popped popcorn sprayed with olive oil and tossed with a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.

8. Smoothies: Blend 1 cup of nonfat milk, 1/2 cup of nonfat sugar-free yogurt, 2 drops of vanilla extract and 1 cup of ice. Optional: add a 1/2 cup of berries.

9. Wrap-ups: Spread a small whole-grain tortilla with a teaspoon of mustard and wrap-up one ounce of any lean meat, including turkey or chicken breast, roast beef, lean ham or shrimp.

10. Mini-pita pizza: Top a 1/2 whole-wheat mini-pita with tomato sauce and a little low-fat mozzarella and oregano to taste: broil till cheese melts.

Whole Food Farmacy makes eating healthier easier with delicious, convenient whole food combinations !

Visit the Whole Food Farmacy !

+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/22/2008 11:31:22 AM

Join for Free !

EASY as 1 - 2 - 3   Whole Food Farmacy and Eating Healthy !
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/22/2008 7:54:42 PM

Medicinal Foods

http://wholefoodfarmacy.com/WebImages/ww030106.jpg

Some vegetables contain chemicals that appear to enhance DNA repair in cells, which could lead to protection against cancer development, say Georgetown University Medical Center researchers. In a new study published in the "British Journal of Cancer" and by the journal "Nature" the researchers show that in laboratory tests, a compound called indole-3-carinol (I3C), found in broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage, and a chemical called genistein, found in soy beans, can increase the levels of two specific proteins that repair damaged DNA.

This study is one of the first to provide a molecular explanation as to how eating vegetables could cut the risk of developing cancer, an association that some population studies have found, says the study's senior author, Eliot M. Rosen, MD, PhD, professor of oncology, cell biology, and radiation medicine at Georgetown 's Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center . "It is now clear that the function of crucial cancer genes can be influenced by compounds in the things we eat," Rosen says.

"Our findings suggest a clear molecular process that would explain the connection between diet and cancer prevention." In this study, Rosen exposed breast and prostate cancer cells to increasing doses of I3C and genistein, and found that these chemicals boosted production of the repair proteins BRCA1 and BRCA2.

Since decreased amounts of the BRCA proteins are seen in cancer cells, higher levels might prevent cancer from developing, Rosen speculates, adding that the ability of I3C and genistein to increase production of BRCA proteins could explain their protective effects.

The study was funded by the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and the National Cancer Institute and co-authors include Drs. Saijun Fan, MD, PhD, Qinghui Meng , MS , Karen Auborn, PhD, and Timothy Carter, PhD.

For many decades, science has been focused on understanding the mechanisms of disease so that drugs could be developed. But the closer they look at disease, the more they discover about the powerful and protective nature of whole foods.  Have you had your veggies today?

Visit The Wholefood Farmacy
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!