Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
WARNING: NEW CREDIT CARD SCAM
11/4/2007 9:13:29 PM

"DEAR FRIENDS OF RADIO"

This scam is pretty slick since they provide YOU with all the information, except the one piece they want.

Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it. This information is worth reading. By understanding how the VISA & MasterCard Telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself.

One of our employees was called on Wednesday from 'VISA', and I was called on Thursday from 'Master Card'. The sc am works like this: Caller: 'This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank). Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a Marketing company based in Arizona ?'

When you say 'No', the caller continues with, 'Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the c redit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?'

You say 'yes'. The caller continues - 'I will be starting a Fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 1- 800 number listed on the back of your card (1-800-VISA) and ask for Security.'

You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. 'Do you need me to read it again?'

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works:

The caller then says, 'I need to verify you are in possession of your card'. He'll ask you to 'turn your card over and look for some numbers'. There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security Numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, 'That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?' After you say No, the caller then thanks you and states, 'Don't hesitate to call back if you do', and hangs up.

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA Security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of $497.99 was charged to our card.

Long story - short - we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA account VISA is reissuing us a new number.
What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card. Don't give it to them. Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or Master card directly for verification of their conversation. The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a credit. However, by the time you ge t your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a 'Jason Richardson of Master Card' with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up! We filed a police report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of these reports daily! They also urged us to tell everybody we know that this scam is happening.

and here is the link from Snopes.com

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/creditcard.asp

THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE MESSAGE FROM TGAMM FM RADIO 105.7

MARILYN L MARTIN
PUBLIC SERVICE DIRECTOR
TGAMM FM RADIO 105.7
FAMILY FRIENDLY AND FAMILY APPROVED
uVme
Lazzeo
ApSense
CitizenRe
BizzyBlogz
TrafficPods
Jerky Direct
ProfitYesterday
Web-Biz-Solutions
My-Easy-Promoter
AdsenseEliteTeam

Marilyn L Martin
"The ALP & TGAMM Couple"
"Rick & Marilyn Martin...Married 11/17/06"
Spiderweb Marketing http://thespiderwebsystem.com/jamila

Traffic Tornado
http://traffictornado.com/x/p2.cgi/6053/

+0
Re: WARNING: NEW CREDIT CARD SCAM
11/4/2007 9:31:28 PM

Marylin,

Here is a new pishing letter I received this morning!

It is aimed at Christians.

After reading this I sent a reply that said: Thou Shalt Not Steal!

Dear Beloved in Christ,

It is by the grace of God that I received Christ, knowing the truth and the truth have set me free. Having known the truth, I had no choice than to do what is lawful and right in the sight of God for eternal life and in the sight of man for witness of God mercy and glory upon my life.I have the pleasure

to share my testimony with you, having seen your contact from the Internet. I am Barrister Bode Martins, the legal adviser to late Mr.and Mrs. NOWTON JONES, a British couple that lived in my Country Nigeria for 10 years before they both died in the plane crash lately.

These couples were good Christians, they so dedicated to God but they had no child till they died.Throughout their stay in my country, they acquired a lot of properties like lands, house properties, etc. As their legal adviser, before their death, the husband Mr. NEWTON JONES instructed me to write his WILL.

Because they had no child, they dedicated their wealth to God.

According to the

WILL, the properties have to be sold and the money be given out to a ministry for the work of God. As their legal adviser, all the documents for the properties were in my care.

He gave me the authority to sell the properties and give out the fund to the Ministries for the work of God. In short, I sold all the properties after their death, as instructed by Mr. NEWTON JONES before his death. And as matter of fact, after I sold all their properties, I realized more than $10,000,000.00 (ten million US dollars plus), and what supposed to be the percentage interest of my right legal fee was firstly deducted by me out of the total amount realized from the sold properties, this was base on the initial agreement between me and the owner of the properties before his death.

Therefore the total amount left to be invested into God's work as instructed by the owner, is $10,000,000.00 (ten million US dollars) only. But instead of given the main fund out for the work of God as instructed to me by the owner before his death. I converted the fund to myself with the intention of investing the fund abroad for my personal use. I was afraid of putting the fund in the Bank, because I have to give account to the bank on how i got the money.

I then packaged the fund in consignments and deposited the consignments with a security company. I did not want the management of the Security Company to know the content of the consignments, therefore I registered the content of the consignments as Gold Bars. Now, the security company believes that what I deposited with them was Gold Bars.I had encounter with Christ when Pastor Benny Hinn was preaching on television concerning Ananias and Saphira in Acts 5:1-11.

After hearing the word of God, I gave my life to Christ and became a born again Christian.As a born again Christian, I started reading my bible and one day, the Lord opened my eyes to Ezekiel 33: 18 and 19 where the word of God

says: "When the righteous truth from his righteousness, and committee iniquity, he shall even die thereby. But if the wicked turn from his wickedness, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall live thereby".

From the scripture, I discovered that the only way I could have peace in my life is to do what is lawful and right by giving out the fund as instructed for the work of God by the owner before his death.

I have asked God for forgiveness and I know that God have forgiven me. But I have to do what is lawful and right in the sight of God by giving out the fund to the chosen ministry for the purpose of God's wok as instructed by the owner before his death. After my fasting and prayers, I asked God to make his choice and direct me to a honest Christian or the chosen ministry that deserves this fund by his Grace. I then came across your address on the Internet as I was browsing through a Christian site, and as a matter of fact, it is not only you or your ministry that I picked on the Christian site initially, but after my fervent prayer over it, then you were nominated to me through divine revelation from God, so these are how I received such a divine revelation from the Lord, how I got your contact information, and I then decided to contact you for the fund to be used wisely for things that will glorify the name of God.

I have notified the Security Company where I deposited the consignments that contained the fund, that I am moving the consignment abroad and the security company has since been waiting for my authority for the consignment to leave my country and move to abroad.

You should also forward to me your complete address,telephone and fax number for easy communication and to fax you the documents concerning the consignment.

Yourprompt response will be highly appreciated.

Barrister Bode Martins.

James Kinney The Cardioman Cardio Cocktail www.drinkcardiococktail.com/30724 Joint Cocktail:www.formor.com/30724 Check My Home Page http://www.viradyne.com/moneypartners
+0
11/5/2007 1:47:35 AM

Hi Marilyn,

There are many ways that the scammers used to lure you to take their bait, by phone and by e-mails such as: you won the lottery, and they want your identification or passport or you made a purchased and charged paypal at a certain amount and they need you to verify your account. They will give you a link that if you clicked it will landed into their fake website. Here's another one just recently a big hotel in canada is hiring and they give you a website  of the hotel that the only content is the application form and instructing the applicants to fill it up with their identification and passport. Thousands of e-mails I received already but I  don't give any personal information or any identification to these scammers.

For people who received a call or received an emails from scammers that asking any partial credit numbers or identification numbers I think we know better than them.

Dominiana

+0
11/5/2007 2:38:14 AM
Hi Marilyn,

I receive numerous emails similar to the one from "Barrister Bode Martins", and would love to know how to get rid of them. They bung up my inbox, and I've tried everything I can to stop receiving them. I have even replied, threatening to inform the Police, but that does not stop them. Please tell me if anyone has some advice for me. I have them re-directed to my "Junk Mail" box, but they still have to be removed.

It is beyond my understanding that these individuals still try these scams. I thought everyone on the internet was aware of it by now, but I guess that they still catch gullable people. I feel sorry for those who are ignorant, and fall for the scams.

What is even more distressing, is the fact that they are using Christianity and the Lord's name to get to people. That can only be the work of Satan.

This is the kind of sick person who needs our prayers. I believe that anything is possible through Prayer and Faith, and maybe if we all stand together in prayer, we could achieve something good. How great would it be if we could help turn this around in the glory of God.

Together we stand, divided we fall

Hyla
Hyla Weimann Skype ID: hymagw Read my blog: http://www.hylastips.com to discover how I use xSky to build a responsive targeted listand how I get paid for sharing free things with ThatFreeThing My Google Profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/hylaweimann
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/5/2007 8:09:20 AM
Hi Marilyn, Always remember, credit card companies NEVER ask you for any ANY of your information. Same on the computer, the companies do not ask you for ANY INFORMATION. I fell for that one and when I called Pay Pal, they changed my account before anyone could remove money. I did one time have charges to my card not of my doing and yes I was called by Mastercard. They merely closed the account. REMEMBER IF THEY KNOW SOME INFO. NEVER PROVIDE ANY OF YOUR OWN. They catch people off guard because we want to be helpful, and are baffled that someone is using our confidential info. Hyla, I no longer get the letters you mentioned and I think this happened when I changed providers. The letters may be going into my trash immediately or it might be they don't have my current e-mail address. Thanks Marilyn
+0