Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Black and White - Just for fun!
10/25/2007 8:37:33 PM

Hello Phil!!

I am thrilled to see you and really appreciate your closing remark about it being a "simpler time".  It was indeed - we had time for family we don't have now, there were long family talks and games we all played together.

I am the same way you are.  I remember the 50's 60's and 70's like they were yesterday.  Please don't aske me the name of the person who called me an hour ago!!

You are a good and faithful friend, Phil.  So nice of you to come!! 

Blessings,

Judy

+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/25/2007 8:44:13 PM

Hello, my friend Beryl!

They are indeed fond memories.  You sure don't look old enough.  I think there were things back then that were expected.  And everyone lived up to everyone elses expectations.

I am sure glad you stopped in to say hi and take the walk down meemory land!!

Hugs and blessings,

Judy

+0
10/27/2007 6:34:49 AM

Hi Judy,

When we got our first TV, around 1950, the screen was barely 12" across, and the wooden cabinet was about the size of half of a refrigerator.  The two stations we could get, in black and white, of course, began broadcasting regular programming at 4:30 in the afternoon and went off the air around 10 PM.

A large part of what we saw dealt with local news and there was a local kids show where you might see some of your friends.  A fair share of the national programming dealt with the classics; Shakespeare, Great Performances, etc.  Oh yes, I shouldn't forget wrestling.  It was a little different back then.

Cell phones and pagers?  Who wanted to live in a world where you COULDN'T get off by yourself and be alone?

Have a great day everbody.

Don

+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/27/2007 6:47:59 AM

Hi Donovan,

Thanks for coming to this silly forum.  Actually, it is fun for me and I love the memories. 

I think you touched on one of the largest differences between then and now.  When our family went to the Atlantic City Boardwalk just to be together, take a wlk, see the ocean, etc.  My mom and dad were right there with us every step.  They participated in our conversations. 

We had their undivided attention!!  Nowadays, everyone takes the lap top, the cell phone the blackberry and there is no escape.  Family conversations are interrupted with calls in restaurants, malls, and everywhere. 

When I want family time with my grandchildren, the cell phoe stays OFF, and when I am good and ready, I check for messages to make sure one of my sons or daughter in laws haven't tried to call.

It's a mad world today - rush, rush, and hurry hurry.  I don't think there are too many who really appreciate or have mastered the art of relaxation.  The pressures of today are certainly much greater  - yep, you can bring back those "good old days" any time!!

Thanks again for coming to the forum and taking the walk down memory lane!

Blessings,

Judy

+0
Valerie Clavin

4235 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/27/2007 12:40:04 PM

Judy,

I was thinking this morning after reading the weather forcast for the next 6 months - couldn;'t do that when we were young. I don't remember having the amounts of snow these days or for the last 10 years like we did when we were kids. Snowman building was a yearly event!! Had to be careful not to make the head so big you couldn't lift it to place it on top - ;)  Snow angels all over the yard - ours and the neighbors of course.

Instead of the mall on the weekends we would hang out at the ceramic shop making Xmas gifts. Or sometimes the schools had a special day for craft making so parents could go Xmas shopping!

Like you said, we all spent time together. It's not that we don't have the time - it's simply we DON"T TAKE the time!

Blessings

Valerie Clavin

----------

Hugs = Priceless

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!