Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
The Big, Bad, Scary...
5/24/2007 4:04:41 AM
Hi everyone!

Do you know what stops a lot of people from ever going anywhere in network marketing?

Hint:  these days it's often small enough to fit comfortably in your shirt pocket.

It doesn't bite, can't think, never scratches, growls or barks;  in fact, it needs you in order to even work!

However, to the vast majority of people who dream of MLM success, it's the Biggest, Baddest, Scariest thing they can think of.   It has the power to paralyze people with fear, break out into a cold sweat, and even go and hide where they can't see it waiting for them...

What is this Big, Bad, Scary..... thing?

It's called a PHONE.

(Is that you flinching at the mere mention of it?)

One on one voice communication is an essential ingredient in network marketing.  Whether the phone of your choice is the one on your desk, in your pocket, or VOIP, it is your most essential tool for success.

Why, then, are so many people scared of it?

Perhaps it is fear of saying the wrong thing, or having someone yell, or getting hung up on...  but none of these things can harm you or your business.

Talking on the phone is NOT about selling something (unless you're a telemarketer), but it's about making personal, live contact with another human being.

When you think of it that way, it can be a lot of fun.  You are meeting someone new, not trying to sell something to a stranger.  In fact, you should NEVER try to sell something over the phone.  

Instead, you should be selling yourself.  Your goal is not to sign someone up in your business (why would you want to sign up a stranger - he might be a crazy person?!)  Your goal is to make a new friend.

To do that, you need to find out something about the person you're talking to, and that person needs to find out something about you.

If the person has made initial contact with you via an online splash page for your business, you SHOULD mention that on your initial introduction, or she'll wonder why in the world you called her.  However, once you've made that quick connection, relax and start asking some simple questions (this vital step shows that you care, both about the person you're talking to AND about your business.)

Ask the person what it was that brought them to your site in the first place.   Let him answer.

Ask what he found most interesting about your business.  Let him answer.

Ask him what appeals to him most about the opportunity.  Let him answer.

Ask him if he can tell you a bit about himself and what would make him a CANDIDATE who QUALIFIES to be a part of YOUR business.  (Don't ever forget this step!)  Once again, let him answer.  

Isn't this simple?  Isn't this fun?  You'll learn to love doing this!  At this point in your conversation,  the person is either going to try to convince YOU to sign him up, or he's going to start to hem and haw and beat around the bush.

If the person doesn't try to convince you, tell her to call you back when she's got an answer, say that you have to go, say good-bye, and hang up.  That's it.  Easy.  THAT PERSON FAILED, NOT YOU!

If the person doesn't give you a very good reason to sign him up, tell him you'll have to think about it, that you have to go, say good-bye and hang up.  That's it.  Easy.  If that person calls YOU back to try to convince you to sign him up, sign him up!  His persistence has just paid off - for him!  And you might have a live one in your downline.

If  your new friend is obviously enthusiastic about your business, really wants to get started, and is willing to really work at it, then you can take her through your sign up process and get her started in business.  This is the beginning of the real work for you, because now you are OBLIGATED to train her, but guess what?  The phone part wasn't scary or hard at all!  

Admit it... It was fun, wasn't it?

God bless,

Dave
+0
Robert Phillips

1540 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: The Big, Bad, Scary...
5/24/2007 4:10:16 AM

Hi Dave

Great post I dont know why people dont use the phone or voip more I do and I sell myself not my business

I just try to be helpfully ask others what they do and keep in contact with them

Most of the time over a peroid of time we become friends

Maybe the signup in one of my businesses maybe not

The most important thing is just getting to know the other person

Robert Phillips

+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/24/2007 5:08:19 AM
Hi Robert,

I KNOW you're having fun!  Meeting new people is some of the best fun you'll ever have and good friends are forever.

God bless,

Dave
+0
5/24/2007 8:59:47 AM
Hi Dave,

I am so glad about what you said and I agree
with you about building the relationship with the person
you talking to over the phone.

A reason why so many people find it so hard to pick up the
phone is because they are calling with an "agenda".  The
person they are talking to will pick up on it and that
is where the hemming and hawing begins.

Once we realize in Network Marketing that it is not all about
us, and take on the attitude that we are meeting wonderful,
new  people everyday, we will have FUN beyond measure.

Have another FUN-filled day on me!

+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/24/2007 1:43:17 PM
Hi Jacqueline,

You sound like someone who has learned the real secret of success:  people!

Success isn't about making a lot of money;  it's about living a life that is successful.  Money is a tool that can be used for good (and for comfort), but money in the hands of a miserable loner is a very sad thing, indeed.

You sound like someone who makes other people happy (you've made me smile, already!)  To me, that is success, and I know that with your attitude, your business will do well, too.

I noticed you're not on my ALP friends list, so I'm sending you a request.  It is a pleasure to meet you.

God bless,

Dave
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!