Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: Copyright issues
5/10/2007 12:26:30 PM
Hi Mary

I just received an email regarding legal issues related to running a web site.  As I don't live in the US I will need to find the relevant rules here but I thought this might be useful to you.  We can in fact face legal action for more than copyright issues but this may also contain information on that issue. Here is the link http://www.internetlawcompliance.com/

Best wishes

Jenny
Best Wishes Jenny P.S. www-self-discovery-for-you.com will provide you with a different perspective on self improvement, self growth or self help. Would like to build a website but are technically challenged and would prefer to concentrate on your content then checkout http://www.sitesell.com/opportunity949.html
+0
Jenny SJ

1902 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/10/2007 1:26:00 PM
Wow Jenny,

I have just checked out the link you have posted.  It looks like we ought to be taking the subject of copyright and plagiarism a little more seriously!

These comments in the site  got my attention right away
"Imagine waking up one morning and your mail arrives. You check your mailbox. There's a summons. You're being sued by one of your customers for some reason. Maybe for something totally frivolous.

Perhaps you're a little shaken. But when you really think about it, you're only a "small fry" on the Internet. So you think to yourself, "No worries." Right?"

and

"If you think it's nothing, think again.

That "little" lawsuit can actually devastate you. Completely."

And one thing is very clear in all the sites that people have posted - ignorance of the law is no defence

Saludos
Jenny

p.s. This logo is the photo of an aplique we paint and appears on our site - and that too is copyright!

+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/10/2007 3:13:06 PM
Jenny K. one needs to remove the word best in front of the url to open automatically. Jenny SJ is right. I just skimmmed through it and it makes you sit up and pay attention.
+0
5/10/2007 11:50:33 PM

Dear Jenny

Yes I thought it was quite an eye opener.

I worked in a situation not only with copyright - my understanding of plagiarism would be when in that case a student took ‘recognisable information from another persons work and used it as his own’ without giving credit for it and in that way they broke not just the copyright laws but our Rules as well and had to be penalised for it.  We also had issues with incorrect information being given to us in our admin role and in the most serious cases my boss had to appear in court on behalf of our institution and the one thing that really stands out in my mind from my years of working in that situation is to NEVER ASSUME but to check everything out.  This stays with me and slows me down but to assume is too risky.  It seems to me that with the Internet today we are all trying to go fast and when we do that then we have a potential risk for making mistakes that can cause a lot of grief and or money.

Best wishes

Jenny K

Best Wishes Jenny P.S. www-self-discovery-for-you.com will provide you with a different perspective on self improvement, self growth or self help. Would like to build a website but are technically challenged and would prefer to concentrate on your content then checkout http://www.sitesell.com/opportunity949.html
+0
5/11/2007 1:18:24 PM

Thank you Mary for posting this VERY IMPORTANT Topic!

I agree with your answer Jenny K.  This is one of the most stressed issues I share with my son's friends in discussing music.  He has been exposed to all sorts of music and recognizes borrowed words/rhythm in new music.

My Jets get a bit frustrated just reading a lot; however, this does help them in their school work and contribute to their own creative style vs. taking the shortcut of borrowing works of someone else.

I get a joy when my Jets critiques include, how some exchange programs clones other exchange programs.

Advanced Jet$$ understand why Jaz Live Cash Culture is unique and they relate to the saying, "Reinventing the Wheel"

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!