Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Copywrite issues
5/9/2007 12:41:25 PM
Hi everyone, So glad you are jumping in here. We can all learn from each other. Thanks Jenny, that clears up some of the issue. Sheryl, I don't know how one can prove a recipe as there are so many variations. Guess it shouldn't look like a copy and paste.
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/9/2007 12:43:18 PM
An e-mail containing statements from Will Rogers arrived at my home so I wanted to share it as it was funny. I don't have it anymore so I don't have the scource. http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/thread/611643.aspx One of the phrases is : "You know you are getting older when everything either dries up or leaks" I have been told that if you put a whole phrase in google it would lead to a page where my thread would appear if it indeed was a copied work. The first one up: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/6271/lists033.html scroll to the bottom and there is no copywrite statement. The phrase does appear there. Secondly the Will Rogers phrase is not a copy of all that is seen there. There are different statements other than what is inmine . Third: I understand that quotes and phrases are not copied write material. Does everyone agree that this one is ok? Think I am home free?? Put the title in google and up comes a site with sayings of Will Rogers. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=23998 Lucky again as the statements are different. Scroll down and see the phrase "Conditions of Use Policy" Jenny: Ouch, yes it is copyright as in permission to have not writing it down from someone else.
+0
5/9/2007 12:47:40 PM

Hi Mary:

Great subject. Thank you.

Having created over 17 screenplays, penned a few short stories and am getting ready for the release of my first novel, I can tell you that titles can not be copywritten. However, unless you can prove that someone using your title will impede your fair right to compitition you are very much alone in that legal battle.

As an example, I created a screenplay titled, SWEET DREAMS. It was a suspence thriller. I advertised for talent and crew in a local Hollywood casting magazine , listing the title of the production. What came next was a letter from the production company and their legal department, asking me to please not promote my production any further. The title was the same one attached to their film and set for release over the next several months - SWEET DREAMS -the film about country music's PATSY CLINE.

Since I have an affinity for both country music and Ms Cline, I changed the title.

Next, there is also what is called, THE POOR MAN'S COPYRIGHT . This is where you take your material and send it to your self, certified mail delivery. When the federal employee ( Postal carrier ) delivers the material, you sign for it and store it away; never opening it. Should it so happen that you need to prove ownership in a court of law, your certified mailing acts as verification of ownership with all dates, time, ect. in place as evidence.

Accordingly, characters cannot be copywritten. There are many films and videos out there sporting the name Peter Parker ( Spider Man ). I was even watching am episode of L.A Law one evening and there was a character with my last name. When I checked the credits, sure enough, the spelling was the same.

There is also another way to protect your work by filing it with WGA. The Screen Writers Guild. The fees are a tad bit expensive, however, filing your work with the US Library of Congress will cost you upwards of $45.00 US, depending on what your are filing.

Should you so desire, go here: http://tinyurl.com/yxryvc

Scroll to the bottom of the page. You will see the indication that the page is under copyright; the contents are protected by e-commerce laws.

Now, about what we are sent via email, etc. It is my understanding that unless you are using same to create income and the work does not belong to you, you are in no uncertain terms, a thief.

I trust this will assit the process>

Again, thanks for this forum. Great Idea.

Joseph Buccheri

Copyright 2007 :)

+0
Edward Pena

172 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Copyright issues
5/9/2007 1:18:05 PM
Mary,

You are correct to be concerned. The internet has been somewhat forgiving so far, but people are starting to crack down.  Checkout this link on plagarism which is slightly different than a copyright infringement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagarism

I write lots of articles for my sites and I try to make them original in order to avoid any issues.  Especially when I intend to sell the articles.  Using PLRs really makes me nervous.

Thanks for your concern and interest.

Edward
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Copyright issues
5/9/2007 1:32:27 PM
Ed, Thank you for that url to learn about plagarism and copyright. So when we copy and paste think about whether you stealing money (copyright) or ruining someone's reputation (plagarism). I admit this never entered my mind. Please everyone go read.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!