Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Over The Garden Gate
7/21/2007 7:00:00 PM

Hi Mary,

As you must know Britain is a fairly small group of islands. Our surface area would fit into one or two of your states, however, the huge variation in land features has always meant big regional differences. Scotland and the North are traditionally wetter and the South warmer but this year, instead of the chronic water shortages of last year are replaced this year with floods not seen for 100 years (and this is mid-summer not snow-melt or autumn rain).

We have got locked into a situation where the je-streams up high are funneling low pressure above us which is rubbing shoulders with VERY hot european and North-african weather triggering huge thunderstorms and causing an evaporation/condensation situation not unlike tropical monsoons.

A number of years ago I travelled down the west coast of the USA and remember down in the orange groves of California the huge gulleys carved out by flash floods a few months earlier. This is what is happening here.

This year I planted climbing beans in a large redundant plastic dustbin (trash can). Knowing that they like a good amount of water I did not overdo the drainage holes, result, one bin FULL of water. Even beans can't cope with that. Result, root death and a lesson learned.

In the last week, if anything, the rain has been worse but the plants seem to have said, ok so it's wet but we'll grow and flower anyway. Huge growth now but a little lacking in colour (color). Here we are well into the Northern Hemisphere but my banana tree is loving it.

Except for this week, lt has been warm and humid, now a little cooler but still wet.

Sorry if you feel jealous but we would happily export some rain at present.

The damage here could run into hundreds of millions. I just hope that we move quicker here than the US did in New Orleans. Flooding  causes such variable and complex damage to society.

Chins up, we can take it. We will just have to keep planting and hoping for the best.

Roger

http://www.greenwiz.com/members/romac/

+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/21/2007 7:58:10 PM

Hi Mary, Hi Roger,

After reading your description of your weather, Roger, I think I will cope with the dry and lack of rain well.  It doesn' sound pleasant at all.

I wanted to report on my geraniums and let you know that they are doing better - only two weeks later. 

I spent a good part of today in the yard and did some of mid summer pruning.  It never fails that some of my bushes start overgrowing the pretty flowers and i cannot have that, so I prune and then the bushes grow more.  It is a never ending circle.

It is almost 9 PM, it's about 80 degrees and dry and the sun has just about completely set.  I am sitting our on my patio at the outdoor table and am actually working with the laptop in the dark.  It is so cool.  I feel so tranquil in this setting.  I wish it could last forever.

Tomorrow I am off to the Philadelphia Gift Show to see BirdWatch America who is showing there and where I purchase many of the things for my Bird Essentials website.  So I will be off line the majority of the day and no more gardening will be accomplished this weekend.  Some of my Black-eyed Susands are looking a bit trampled as they are near the bird feeder and aften have to be staked and tied.

Have to run for now.  Thank you for making me so grateful for our dry Pennsylvania weather, Roger.  I am not complaining any more.

Blessings,

Judy

+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/21/2007 8:00:17 PM
Hi Roger, What an interesting post from you. I really know little of British Isles and why you have such strange weather. You made it a little easier to understand. Love the idea of planting in large containers as you mention. I have heard of using drainage ditch pipes (tiles) in which case the bottom would be completely open for drainage. On a tv program they were using them for root plants like carrots, beets, and turnips. It made for giant veggies. My bones are aching just thinking of all your rain. I will take what we get and like you say keep our spirites up, chins we might drown.
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/21/2007 8:05:44 PM
Hi Carol, You were posting just as I finished writing to Roger. Have a great trip to Philie. Know you will enjoy atmosphere around all the bird lovers. I now have an appreciation for our feathered friends. I fill the bird feeders and observe the visitors at the camp where I am volunteering. Most of my time is spent outdoors so this week-end at home has been boring staying inside in the air conditioning. Soo-oo I am going to head outdoors while there is still some daylight here in Ohio. Same time zone but the western side gives me more sunlight. Have a great trip.
+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/21/2007 9:24:35 PM

Hi Mary,

I love your Butternut squash story,  I had the same thing happen with tomatoes and now I just let them come back avery year, and I separate and feed them and gets lots of great tomatoes from them.  Then I plant green peppers and get nothing, and broccoli that hardly heads  - guess we can blame the weather!!!

I know this wont make sense at all but the Philadelphia gift show is actually held in Reading,PA which is about 13 miles from my home.  My Brid Essentials distributor will be there, so it will be worth going to.

Enjoy that sqash.  I have several zucchini, but the squash go squashed (lol)

Judy!

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!