Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Over The Garden Gate
7/22/2007 2:14:32 AM

Hi Judy,

I am so pleased tha tthe geraniums have rallied. They can be really difficult.

One year I planted a lot in tubs and troughs and hanging baskets. Everything else did well but not the geraniums. Then I read that the moisture retaining crystals that I had added to the compost was not to their liking. This made some sense because a couple of later planted ones had no crystals and were thriving. I don't know if it is also true that thy dont really like vermiculite or similar volcanic granules. It would appear that this practice keeps just a little too much moisture in contact with roots. Has anyone found this to be true?

I really hope that the show is helpful and enjoyable. It is so nice to earn something that interests you and is so easy to share with others. The creatures of this planet have never been more dependant on us than now and I am sure that your contribution is significant both locally and via your customers.

Thanks for your concern over our weather, to date we are lucky where I live as we are very high compared with the surrounding area but in local pockets there have been problems.

If you want rain here is a tip :

My wife, back at the start of June, bought a bright pink immitation straw garden  umbrella for fun at our outdoor party. The day was on the best weekend all summer but since then, RAIN. and more and more. Beats raindances I can say.

Roger

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/22/2007 3:14:57 AM

Hello Mary,

yes, the container thing is interesting as you have (at least in theory) more control. As I garden for others on a daily basis I really dont want to tend to areas of grass or weeds, so, I tend to pot garden at home. The tile/pipe  thing does help.

I have a tiny vegetable plot but most, courgettes,tomatoes, peas etc are grown in pots. Getting the soil right is the hardest as soil tends to go too hard and high humus material like peat dries out far too quickly. A mixture is ideal.

I prefer some of our local acid soil, mixed with good composted material and for some things a little stable manure. Obviously, like in the garden, this doesn't work with the deep rooted crops like betroot, carrots and parsnips etc as it leads to multiple/forked roots but for the beans and brassicas it works well.

Usually it is easier too to control slugs and snails but this year due to our rains it has been very difficult. The slugs are stripping everything over night and are totally disappearing by day. Everwhere being so wet, they can hide amost anywhere.

Potatoes in containers really work well if you have the soil ready and enriched. Just like outside in the garden, as they come through the surface you just add more soil until they reach the top of the container. A fiend of ours is VERYgood at this and gets from about three plants the amount I would get from a row.

Harvesting can be more difficult though if you only need a few at a time.

I guess that, like here, you can buy potato barrels to grow in.

Have a great day.

Roger

+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/22/2007 7:21:46 AM

Hi Roger,

I will have to remember that about geraniums.  it makes sense, as some of the ones that did the worst and are the last to bounce back are the ones in pots or hanging baskets which would have pearlite (we can't get vermiculite in the US anymore for environmental reasons) and crystals for drainage.  - ah, duh!!!

Thanks for the other tips, I have to come back and read them again!

Blessings,

Judy

+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/22/2007 7:55:12 AM
Hi Roger, I learned from another older lady a phrasse that sticks with me "Geraniums don't like wet feet". Next year I am going to pursue the idea of container gardens. When I downsized I purchased a mobile home and the previous owner had landscaped around the 3 sides. He laid the landscaping cloth and covered with a couple of inches of soil. The soil underneath is poor where the holes were poked so I will try the container idea. I just have to have plants including vegetables growing in my yard.
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/22/2007 3:34:13 PM

Hi Mary,

Yes,

I can recommend container growing.

If you use landscaping fabric you need sterilised soil on top or you jhst get weeds again, however, chipped bark or ground bark is expensive, however, if I have to cover fabric I now use tree chippings. As a landscaper I have to fell or reduce a lot of trees. Whenever I can I put the trimmings through a chipper and keep the chippings. Often landscapers or tree surgeons are glad to be rid of the excess chippings. If you can get some keep for about 9 months before using as the heat generated in decomposition is great. If you are only standing pots on this however and not planting through the heat generated can be a winter advantage.

The other point about waiting is this: The decomposition of plant material robs the soil of nitrogen so if you plant into it too early this can be detrimental.

This is for anybody who wishes to use a landscape fabric and needs to save an extra cost so if you are just aiming to use pots as I say, carry on.

The other thing that I have done with deeper rooted plants that like more water is to cut the bottom from a plastic bottle and insert it alonside the plant when potting, this way you can water and feed straight to the roots.

Roger

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!