Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
J.
J. Norman

1 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Gardens Down Under
1/27/2007 5:41:36 PM

Hi everybody,

I am not really a gardener. I just do some maintenance around the house & yard. If you want something done, you have to do it yourself. It's next to impossible to outsource that type of work. I like to eat fresh veggies from our own garden to avoid agricultural toxins. I don't care much to grow them though.

The way it goes: birds, bats, and the wind drop seeds everywhere. Sometimes beautiful plants seem to appear from out of nowhere. Things can only grow where I say they can, so I find myself destroying peppers, and a bunch of quite tasty leafy veggies. They'll grow where they want to, so when you give them a "better" spot they'll refuse to grow. Nature is strange that way.

Flowers are another story: sometimes I just sit down to watch who eats what, like a biologist :-)

Cheers,

Jerrel

+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/2/2007 9:27:22 PM

Hello fellow gardening friends.  I just found something that I think will take away the winter blahs and give me lots of information.

Go see for yourself.  There is a 10 free trial.  $5 a month should bring me much enjoyment.  Go see for yourself. 

I will report back when I see what all this site really has to offer.

http://www.greenwiz.com/members/mahofst/

+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/2/2007 9:30:07 PM

Hi Jerrel,

What you describe is so different from what I am used to.  In the colder climates we have very structured gardens.  I have over the years had some strange things come up and I left them to see what they were.

I inherited raspberries by doing that.  I get a few and the birds get alot.

Thanks for sharing a different style of gardening.

+0
2/25/2007 10:47:17 PM

Hello Mary Hofstetter,

thankyou for your invite. Indeed I am an australian gardener, have been ever since I could walk- 45years.

At this time in my life, I'm living in melbourne - the most unpredictable weather here is hard to comprehend sometimes, but it is only weather.

Melbourne people tend to have an unhealthy obsession with the weather, as in - they never stop complaining about it, or the fact that the weather-man has got it wrong. They seem to be totally oblivious to the idea that you cannot really predict the weather.

I used to be a gardener 24hrs/day, it was my vocation, my interest,my hobby,then I had an accident and instantly destroyed my lifes passion, so became an indoors person on the machine.

Currently we are about to face stage 4 water restrictions - which means:

RESIDENTIAL and COMMERCIAL GARDENS and LAWNS

S All outside watering is BANNED. No watering at any time, by any means.

PUBLIC GARDENS and LAWNS

SPORTING GROUNDS

So, as we can see, being a gardener- passionate or no, aint a lot of fun 'round here.

Then again, it might rain - maybe not.

In anycase, just because things are a little harsh at the moment and gardens are actually disappearing - my knowledge has not, nor has my interest - hence, my interest in your forum. And I shall visit as time allows.

Thanks again,

Regards Chris.

Got articles collecting dust on your hard-drive? This will turn them into talking videos. http://www.internetemploy.com/video-robot.html
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/26/2007 6:07:40 AM
Hi Chris, Thank for the reminder that fall (our spring) brings challenges to another part of the world. We are entering the spring rain time, so maybe we are taking more of the world share of water. TEE-hee Thanks for stopping in.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!