Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
October is almost redy
10/11/2006 11:38:30 AM
october
The month of October (called "Brumarel" in the folk tradition, as the hoarfrost begins now) announces the coming of the cold season and the works in that period consist especially in preparations for the winter.

If the leaves of the trees get yellow and fall early, this means that the next year will be rich. If it rains a lot in October, the month of December will be windy and if there`s much hoarfrost or even snow, the weather in January will be fine.

The folk celebrations of this month are:

• October 1st: St. Procoava
  • October 14th: St. Parascheve
  • October 18th: The “Lucin” (St. Luca) click!
  • October 25th : Sanmedru`s Eve
  • October 26th: Sanmedru (St. Dimitry)

October 1st: St. Procoava

St. Procoava is the one who covers the earth with snow during the winter. The young girls are praying to this saint in order to give them a beautiful hair. This way the men will like them more and the chance they get married soon increases. The marriage also means that the girls will have to wear something to cover their hair.

October 14th: St. Parascheve

An important religious feast, this day marks the beginning of the preparations of the flock for the winter and also the opening of some fairs where pastoral products are traded. People fast and don`t work on this day, otherwise existing the danger of getting ill.

October 18th: The “Lucin” (St. Luca)

The „Lucin” is the one who protects the wolf packs formed in this time of the year. Being afraid of the wolves, people celebrate this day.

October 25th: Sanmedru`s Eve

Sanmedru`s Eve is especially dedicated to the dead ones. In some places, a big fire is lighten (Sanmedru`s fire). It is believed that the young people who manage to jump over this fire would get married the next year. When the fire is almost burnt out, every participant takes home a brand and throws it in the orchard, so that the trees should be fruitful in the future. In the evening, the old women give apples, nuts and small round breads as gifts.

October 26th: Sanmedru (St. Dimitry)

If St. George is the patron of the first part of the year, St. Dimitry commands over the last part, the cold one. In this day the agreements closed 6 month ago are payed.

The shepherds who want to know how the following winter will be put a waistcoat on the ground. If a black sheep sits on it, the winter will be fine, but if a white one sits there, the next winter will be very snowy.

• I very much hope you enjoyed OCTOBER!
    To read about the other months of the year visit POST OF CONTENT
    of my forum Romania.

Wish you a great and wonderful OCTOBER!
    Anamaria

+0
    Pauline Raina

4108 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    Re: October is almost redy
    10/11/2006 12:00:45 PM

Wow so much to celebrate !!!!! Great post Anamaria, thanks for the invite.

have a great day

Pauline R

+0
    Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    10/11/2006 12:15:43 PM
    Hello Pauline,

Thanks for your visit :-)
    This is wonderful with the Romanian people; we alwasy find something to celebrate, even when we are said.

autumnal music

Autumn in one of our parks! I think it was a bit could ;-)

Your friend,
    Anamaria
    +0
    Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 25 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    10/11/2006 2:02:46 PM
    Thank you, Ana Maria, how very interesting and fun! Linda
    +0
    Nick Sym

23156 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 25 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    10/11/2006 9:30:37 PM

Thank for a great post as usual Ana Maria!

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
    +0

facebook
    Like us on Facebook!