Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Fundamental Belief Number 14 - Unity in the Body of Christ
10/3/2006 12:58:58 PM
That's ok Pauline, I'll forgive you this time LOL. Thanks for stopping by. You always have good food for thought!
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/5/2006 2:24:38 PM

Hello Jim,

Ouch, this is a difficult one for me in that my body is tired tonight but the Spirit requires  that I answer.In my church women are actively encouraged to preach and some of the finest and most able speakers are women, I am very happy with this and enjoy the different approach that many bring to a service.

But, and this is My But,

Having been brought up within a protestant (Church of England) background, having then attended Congregational Church and a Gospel Hall (Bretheren) where in two out of three cases women were not accepted as either senior elders or priests, I still find the role of women in church as different THAT'S ME.

The church of England has moved on and accepts women to the priesthood and I have had to accept this BUT I confess to not being comfortable with this.

I have had quoted to me all the things about all Christ's disciples being men and this has obviously stuck and I can't say why.

There is not another single sexist bone in my body in fact I am very much more appreciative of feminine skills than many I know but for some reason I am still NOT COMFORTABLE with women as Priests, Pastors, Deacons, etc. and I plain don't know why.

I love to promote the aims and aspirations of women in any sphere of society, I have a woman doctor as my regular medical practitioner, I have a friend who is a woman who is a Rugby Football coach (and brilliant at it) I have daughters and grand daughters who I help and encourage to do anything they want to BUT this is the only thing that doesnt feel right to me.

Why, I don't understand. I cannot honestly quote any scriptures to back up my feelings and I now feel isolated in my belief because I am very liberal in my feelings for  equality, but this remains.

If I am wrong I ask the Spirit for guideance. Please dont attack me for my honesty as I cannot justify how I feel, it's just what feels comfortable for me.

If there are any women out there who doubt my intentions I am sorry but I am happy to be your advocate in acheiving anything that you want including beating the guys at anything. Maybe I need your help in understanding?

Why do I feel this way?

I have put my head above the parapet so please think before you take aim, I'm only a man.

Roger 

OOOOOOOOOH I can hear the indignation rising, OOOOOOOOH

+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/5/2006 11:26:12 PM

Well, Roger, they haven't come swarming down on you yet! I actually agree with you on your thoughts. I think church as a rule should have men as preachers. My church for years would not allow women to preach, but in recent years, they have relaxed that rule.

As I said in a previous post, when there is a woman preacher, I respect her position, even though I myself may not agree with her being there in the first place. So long as her words are coming from the direction of the Holy Spirit, I need to hear what she has to say.

+0
Geketa Holman

2080 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/6/2006 11:09:51 AM

Rodger,

It is a very simple answer as to why you do not feel comfortable with women being in the position of a preacher, priest or other leadership roles in the church. It is not scriptural .. Read the criteria for a pastor and bishop and leadership roles in 1 Timothy 3 it gives us the outline for the how the church should be governed it also explains the role of a women in 1 Timothy 2 read it and than you will have scripture and verse to back up why you feel as you do.

If you also read 1 Timothy 4 the whole chapter you will see why the church allows women in the seat of leadership.

In todays modern church sadly enough men are not being taught by the elders as to how they should act nor are women. By the way I am a women hehehe.

I get flack from other women on this, but yeah! I  didn't write the book I only try to live by it ..

Blessings,

Geketa

Hear, O Israel the L-rd our G-d,the L-rd is one http://www.DHGBoutique.com
+0
Tami Brooks

34 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
10/21/2006 9:15:06 PM
Jim, May God's richest blessings be on you and yours, thank you for your postings. God bless you, Tami
"Life is too short to burn bad candles!"
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!