Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING AND SCULPTURE
9/27/2006 9:02:59 PM
Dear Nan, Rajaram, Ildiko:

The very act of preparing the sample was so joyful itself that if I have any merit at all, I am also having the best of rewards from you. It's I who must thank you for coming by and rating the forum so generously.

Best Wishes,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo 

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/6/2013 2:11:10 AM

Dear friends, other than Caravaggio's masterpiece adorning the introductory page of this thread and seen below too, but pretty enlarged, I would like to present from now on, for a better view of his work, a couple (perhaps more) of other great paintings by him that are equally representative of his avowed style, 'tenebrism'. I will start here and in the next post and later on, if everything goes as planned, I will do the same, also in this very thread, with one or two additional works per every other artist that have been featured to date in this Great Art of the World forum.

Thank you,
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

Michelangelo Merisi 'Caravaggio' - Rest on Flight to Egypt
(oil on canvas, 1596-1597)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/11/2013 1:03:33 AM

Not too-known to the general public, this extraordinary and relatively early masterpiece by Caravaggio is particularly attractive by its fresh approach and great innovative beauty. NOTE: Apart from this work treasured in the Louvre Museum in Paris, there is another, posterior version in the Musei Capitolini in Rome (you may see it here).

Caravaggio - The Fortune Teller
(oil on canvas, 1598 - 1599)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/11/2013 1:17:36 AM
Another masterpiece but unlike the above one ('The Fortune Teller') this one is pretty famous. Again, its fresh approach and great innovative beauty have worked in its favor.

Caravaggio - The Lute Player
(oil on canvas, c. 1595 - 1596)

Caravaggio - The Lute Player (detail)
(oil on canvas, c. 1595 - 1596)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/11/2013 1:52:47 AM

As Caravaggio grew older, his subjects became more and more dramatic and his style, more somber - his 'David' here, painted in 1606, is an extraordinary example of this trend. Below are two pretty similar and
very well-known masterpieces, finished in 1609, which evidence this propensity.

Caravaggio -
The Conversion of St Paul
(oil on canvas, 1600 - 1601)

Caravaggio -
The Crucifixion of St Peter
(oil on canvas, 1600 - 1601)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!