Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Gary Simpson

557 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: From pest to guest and back again... (like this!)
7/29/2006 10:34:38 PM

Hi Linda,

Hey, we ain't tag-teamin' again, are we? ... Just checkin'.

You said:

==========
"He just spit an ad into my inbox."
==========

Are you sure he didn't sling-shot it in on the end of one of those big sticky, gammy cow goops?

I wish you hadn't blacked out his identity. Isagenix, sounds ROOLY cool. What is it? Motor oil? Poison? Not that green cordial stuff that Jim Jones liked to network down into his downlines.

There's a hint all you marketing folks. What is it? Interested?

Oh, I get it. You don't NEED to know. So long as it makes money. U-huh! Legal, illegal, poisonous, noxious - it DOESN"T MATTER!

What matters is the big bucks that you can weasel off inexperienced folks who know no better. That's the DEAL.

Just give your latest and greatest a non-descript cool sounding name. Stuff ending in the letter "x" is so in vogue. Onyx. Styx. Botox. Bollox.

Garyx

+0
7/30/2006 12:55:12 AM

My two cents worth.

I have spent huge swags of my life in Direct Marketing - mostly pre-internet era.  These were the times when everyone in DM was regarded as a bandit, thief or otherwise low-life.  Yet I believe it was here that I really learned about Marketing - you know why?  Because there was no place to hide, everything could and was checked - headlines, lists, methodologies, offers, copy treatments - and above all 'results'.

Now when I was Head of Direct Marketing for J Walter Thompson in Australia, we were able to compare effectiveness approaches between different countries - which was truly amazing.  In other words -'what worked where?'  For example - hard-hitting headlines with strong financial incentives work better in the USA than in Europe, where they are not believed and immediately discarded.  Asking a question in the headline works best in the UK (not your 'want to be a millionaire' rubbish - but a question such as - 'are you hearing everything around you?' for hearing aids.   Punning headlines work a dream in Hungary, but not in Poland.  Clever headlines do not work in Switzerland - and so on.

However we did have another lesson that showed as someone else has pointed out, that multiple despatch of messages is effective - no matter how much we don't want to believe it.  The average is between 3-5 times from my records.

The crunch is of course - why do people keep sending out this rubbish?  Quite simply because it works!  There are still sufficient people being taken in for it to continue to be worthwhile for the advertiser.  Note I am not defending the practises - just highlighting the facts.

Firstly another poster recognised that fact that the 1st 5 seconds are critical, but this does not mean 'wham - in your face' - what it does mean is the need to instantly identify your offer to the people most likely to be interested.  That takes research into your product and your target groups.   Also we must recall that varying country residents are exposed to huge numbers of advertising messages EVERY SINGLE DAY!  I remember a report on New York which researched and showed that the average New Yorker can be exposed to up to 8,000 messages!

The mind  does not accept all this and so automatically filters out what is of no interest, and settles on what the target person is, or could be interested in.

The big difference now is that we have no serious controls over what we get on the internet, and even spam filters don't work, as 'about your invoice' message tag reveals another offer to improve my manhood, and so it goes on. 

The truth about targeting your prospects remains paramount, but owing to the very cheapness and volume of lists available on the internet, it is hard to see whay anyone would want to bother with pre-research - just throw  enough of it about and as previously stated - some will stick and some will be acted upon.  Not sophisticated, not even clever - but probably worth it to the advertiser.

Also, as I have said before - remember that Adland Pro was not designed as a Chat Forum - but as a Business link.   Personally I don't think it works on a business level, but does on a chat basis.  Maybe it should re-invent itself on that basis?

Maybe a bit more than two cents worth!

Norm

http://career-training-on-cd.com

Norm Clark
+0
Gary Simpson

557 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
7/30/2006 1:59:17 AM
50c
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
7/30/2006 2:33:48 AM
Hi, Reading all with interest, and also Kathy's forum that pointed me here before I got to the invitation that would have brought me directly. In her forum, Kathy asked "why do you all read my emails?", and, in truth, some of hers are definitely ads and others are inspirational stories or marketing articles...she posts a variety. And that's why I read some and not others. (Sorry, Kathy!) To those who read every email and look at every ad, I must say, I'm impressed. I couldn't possibly do that and still get any sleep at all. I have to pick and choose. And I pick on the basis of whether the subject line looks to be about something that interests me--history, humor, inspirational/motivational, philosophy, gardening, some of the recognition forums, word meanings, virtually everything Linda posts--quite a lot, really. What doesn't interest me, no matter how good they may be, is new business opportunities. I have a business that takes more than 40 hours per week--I'm a real estate broker. I have a hobby that I truly enjoy and that has the potential to make money--I write articles about personal finance, and I promote various products that are related to it and that I've found beneficial myself. Beyond that, I simply don't have the time to do any other businesses. Over 90% of the ads from ALP that I would rather not get are about joining a new opportunity. If those stopped, I wouldn't mind the occasional product ad, even if I wasn't in the market for the product. What particularly annoys me is friends invitations that are nothing but ads and personal messages that are nothing but ads, especially those from people to whom I've replied politely in the past that I'm not in the market for new opportunities. I think both are the height of rudeness. So, how would you go about being a welcome guest in my inbox? Post something interesting that isn't an ad, don't post more than one thread a day, and respond to me when I reply with a post to your thread. You might also try posting in my forums--I tend to make visits and contributions in return if I'm invited or know about your forum. Linda, thanks for the opportunity to vent a little. Cheri
+0
Eva
Eva Gutray

348 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
7/30/2006 4:01:55 AM

07- 30 - 2006  Tasmania - Australia

Dear Linda, :)
I am reposting that I post on Kathy's forum...

People return to some forums because they are educational, and we have many on AdlandPro that giving us plenty of new knowledge or bringing our memories back, some are entertaining, and all these counts. We must respect you people that giving your time to research and post us. These proving you are genuine good people, and I am certain many at AdlandPro agree with me, and will thank your for your time and effort as I am thanking you now.
I will be away for some time do to travel, but I will stop to check if will be opportunities.
For now I am leaving you with Invitation:

Warm Regards Eva

Important message !!!!!

It Has Proven To Be The Most Advantageous Of Any Program
We Are People Helping People !
So This Makes It A Win Win For Everyone
We Are Using This  Send a Five (5) Free e-cards As One Of The Ways To Raise Funds For Our Foundation, and give you opportunity mention your business by enclosing as a signature in your mailed free e-card.
 On sending 5 free e-cards just leave your email contact for us at Any Questions? that we can forward to you a winning coupon to make you eligible for the draw. This way you helping protect endangered species, and improving your Interest. 
Remember after sending 5 free e-card each time report this to Martin at Any Question  ? at http://worldwin=ecard.com to receive coupon to be included in the draw. Post as many you like . 
This Is A World Wide Program And We Market This To over 4 Billion People Around The World. Join us , and be visible too. 

Non for Profit Organization from Tasmania - Australia GLOBAL HARMONY PEOPLE HELP PEOPLE WHERE? AT http://worldwin-ecard.com
+0