Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: From pest to guest and back again...
7/30/2006 9:27:29 AM
Gary,
the sad thing is that I have a 71 year old friend that I recently found out had been sending MONEY! to some of these slime in Africa! Not the same deal of course but something that tugged at her heart strings.
I didn't have the heart to ask her how much-just told her to please run these things by me when she gets tempted to "help" somebody.
There will always be the naieve who set themselves up to be taken and there has to be a special place in hell for the takers.
+0
7/30/2006 10:35:08 AM
Joyce,

I know what you meant. I have friends who will not join AdlandPro who I tell all the time, CHECK WITH ME FIRST PLEASE!

They come to me when they are in trouble. They are older, independent. They want to do it all on their own. Savvy business people.

Many times I have had the call where they ask for help telling me they just spent hours or days and I solve their problem in minutes. Yet, they do it again next time. Go figure. They'll tell their friends I am a genius but still not call me.

I will am willing to wager many of use here with experience have similar events happen.

We love and help them anyway. I know why they do it. They want to not have to ask for help. Asking for help requires a certain amount of humility. It is an acknowlegement we are human, we are not all powerful not all knowing we do need others from time to time.

I tell people all the time, we need each other. We each have our own special skills. If my friend Marvin were to expect me to layout a tile floor in record time, I would fail miserable, yet I know he can beat the best especially with his inventions. He truly is a genius. See for yourself http://www.anglebuster.com

David
DrDA Detox and Heal
435-616-5480 - dblack@dbresearchlc.com
Hello Healthy
No Stress
+0
Re: From pest to guest and back again... (like this!)
7/30/2006 12:02:53 PM

Hi...

============
To those who read every email and look at every ad, I must say, I'm impressed. I couldn't possibly do that and still get any sleep at all. I have to pick and choose. And I pick on the basis of whether the subject line looks to be about something that interests me--(snipped)--What doesn't interest me, no matter how good they may be, is new business opportunities. I have a business that takes more than 40 hours per week...
============

Cheri, you hit on something that many people overlook. People who already have a successful business often don't have the time to look at every opp that enters their inbox. Their business already uses the lion's share of their time.

For example, there's a member of Adland who is one of the top sellers/earners for the health product he promotes. Why would he waste time looking at autosurfs and mortgage plans and illegal pyramids and other "hot opps" when his current business is already making his dreams come true? It would be poor use of his time. He would only need to look at ...
 [a] who might (seriously) like to learn from him and
 [b] what other products he can sell to his existing client base.

In scenario [b], if someone sends him a piece of trashy looking spam for a product he thinks he can sell, rest assured he's not going to sign up "under" someone with no marketing finesse. He'll go sign up directly. Professional marketers seldom want to sign up under obvious amateurs.

In every area, from hobby to business, there is a learning curve. Take skiing for example. There's a big difference between people on the bunny hill and people doing triple flips at competition level. Sure, they're all skiing - but certainly not on the same level. Learning curves exist everywhere.

The same thing applies to the messages in a networking community

• Some people say "Oh, I read every message I get, even ads."  Obviously they have the time to read all that...
  • Others say "My business is successful and busy, I have to pick and choose... "

Busy people generally don't have time to read every ad they get. The first criteria they choose by is WHO sent it. The second criteria is the subject. In a networking community, we all have to decide - which people are we looking to reach? I believe it was Kim that said "if you want people to take you seriously.... get serious."

: )
Linda

P.S.; Yes, there are a scant few people that have created successful businesses that are hands off, so they have a success business and time to kill - but they're such a small minority that I don't think it applies here. I'm adding it for benefit of the people that would throw the scenario at me for the sake of argument. lol

P.P.S. I am not saying any of this to criticize, but rather in hope that it might teach and perhaps inspire thought.

+0
Re: From pest to guest and back again... (like this!)
7/30/2006 6:58:10 PM
Hi Linda,

I got the Isagenix message also from the person who I had already told to quit sending me personal messages that were ads. I let the Isagenix ad go. Then I got a followup message demanding a response about the Isagenix ad.

Well that was the straw that broke the camels back. I am not intesested in Isagenix. I have already given it due diligence, used it 2 months and sought the advise of a reesearch scientist doctor about the ingredients.

So... I sent the perpetrator following reply.  This is the first time I have had to send such a mesage.

=============

I am quite busy with my own business. I am happy with my business. I am not looking for another business.

Please only send me messages that will help me with my business.

Be specific on how it will help. Then I may look.

Otherwise I do not have the time. I hope you understand.

Please do not send me advertising as personal messages otherwise.

One more spam message and I will remove you as a friend. One more after that and I will block you. One more after that and I will report you to AdlandPro admins.

You would do well to thouroughly read this forum AdlandPro From Pest to Guest Forum - http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/thread/419682.aspx

David
=============

David
DrDA Detox and Heal
435-616-5480 - dblack@dbresearchlc.com
Hello Healthy
No Stress
+0
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/30/2006 7:43:54 PM
I like that angle thingie-makes me want to go lay a tile or two:)

As I was reading-more than I normally would by the way Linda- I remembered what I would prefer to see: how about telling the truth about opportunities that they gave thier best effort to and found it didn't work?

I have seen posts about things I had my doubts about being touted as the greatest thing since sliced bread- then nothing! It would be nice if people would come back and warn people that they had been wrong and why.

But then it would be dangerously close to a perfect world and we could't have that- now could we?
+0