Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
From pest to guest and back again...
7/29/2006 11:51:15 AM

Hi..

There's been a lot of talk around here about the volume of ads we all receive, and whether they're welcome or not.

To give credit where it's due, Dan Kennedy said something to the effect that as an advertiser, your goal is to figure out how to go "from unwanted pest to welcomed guest" in people's in-box... or something to that effect.

Here's 3 rules of thumb. (Pass them on if you like them)

1) People are more likely to read what you send them if they either [a] like you or [b] respect you. Sending ads to total strangers seldom achieves either.

2) If people join your opt in mailing list, you have "the right" to send them ads if you want to. If they don't like what you send, they'll delete, or unsubscribe, or report you for spamming, even though they opted in.

3) In real life, my friends and I share shopping tips. I tell a friend a great restaurant I found. A friend tells me about a great sale. We listen to each other because we like each other. We make recommendations based on what we know our friends like or need. We don't send each other ads. That's not what friends do. Networking communities distort the definition of *friend.*  If this confuses you, see rule #1.

So... the question becomes... "What can you do to go from "from unwanted pest to welcomed guest" in another person's inbox?"

Brainstorm?

Linda

+0
Re: From pest to guest and back again...
7/29/2006 12:35:47 PM
Hi Linda,

Thanks for inviting me even though I know I am a pest sometimes ;-)

I agree with all three :-)

My question is how do you know who it is that respect you enough to listen.

Often it is the frame of mind of your friends whether they will look or not. Sometimes it is information overload. I send them and have friends respond sometimes weeks later.

The psychologists tell us someone needs to see something over 20 times that is new before they will accept it enough to investigate.

There is also the saying that throw enough mud on the walll and some of it will stick.

The possibility of success is so enticing. If only we could make a success on the internet. Safe at home, at least safer than on the streets. No more long commute.

With the internet you can live about anywhere especially if you are in the "info" business.

For many the potential is worth a few flame emails, maybe even being banned.

David
DrDA Detox and Heal
435-616-5480 - dblack@dbresearchlc.com
Hello Healthy
No Stress
+0
Angela Cardwell

819 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
7/29/2006 12:42:37 PM

Hi Linda,

You said it all.

Simply think of the recievers of your emials as friends.
Don't send them anything that you know they will not/cannot benefit from.

Good luck to all,
Angela

Earn Money Shopping OnlineIt's free, simple and secure.
+0
7/29/2006 1:18:51 PM

Hi!

==========
Simply think of the recievers of your emials as friends.
==========

Many years ago, I read a tip. I don't even remember who said it. I learned this one before the Internet existed.  Pick a person that you love and respect or hold in very high esteem.

Every email you write, start with "Dear *that person's name*" -- then write it as if you are writing to that one person. When I first got online, I started every email with "Dear Grandpapa" because my Grandfather was my role model growing up. Seeing that affected how I wrote.

When you're done, change the greeting to who ever you are writing to, or dear "firstname" if you're using a script.

This accomplishes two things.
[1] You will write person to person instead of writing to a crowd. Even when we send email to 1,000 people - they read it one at a time.

[2] You will speak in a different tone. With respect. Explaining instead of advertising. Talking instead of selling. You will sound more *real* instead of like a desperate used car salesman. 

I wonder how many people sending those "Join this opp NOW" messages would send those if the recipient was their mother or their child. I suppose some still would. lol

By the way... no offense intended to any used car salespeople, but used car sales-people are at the bottom of the "trust by profession" list, right under marketers. Even lawyers fare better on that list than car salesmen & marketers.

: )
Linda

+0
Kathy Hamilton

13886 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/29/2006 1:24:58 PM
Hello Linda, Very amazing post you have here.HMMMMlets see, you say this 1) People are more likely to read what you send them if they either [a] like you or [b] respect you. Sending ads to total strangers seldom achieves either. Well I know for myself I pretty much try to read each ad I can, Whether I like it or dont like it the ad or the person,I always reply to a thank you or a reply with my ad.It works very well with me.But I try not to be rude and not acknoweldge the person,try to at least let the person know you got it,As far as read it if your special or not,come on,That is total Bs everyone is the same just in different ways.This is not high school.kathy/simikathy great job
I walk by faith not by sight Profit Clicking http://www.profitclicking.com/?r=simikathy
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!