Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Jenny SJ

1902 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Money Isn't Important...
6/23/2006 5:10:22 AM
Hi again Linda, I am reading some very thoughtful posts on this forum, but just to answer your question -------------------------------------------------- "See, I have known people that act the way you describe. But, every time I have met someone with the "greedy" mindset I've discovered that if I poke around a little, I will discover that they are a walking pack of lies. Usually, their life is a facade. They are pretending to have money when they are up to their eyeballs in debts and they could lose it all in a heartbeat. Hence, they have a scarcity mindset that leads to greed. I have never known anyone that was truly wealthy that acted out scarcity mentality, so I ask this very sincerely. " ----------------------------------------------- Yes Linda, they do exist - they may be poor in spirit - but they have a lot of money to show for it!. This is a link to a list on Emma Parry's forum that impressed me a lot - have a read http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/thread/375434.aspx I'll leave you with that thought. Saludos Jenny
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
6/23/2006 9:28:58 AM
Jenny, I second your comment that there are some very thoughtful posts here. By the way, Linda posted that same article (referring to the forum link) some months ago, using it to make a different point entirely. Dave, beautifully put. Mark, good points about Mother Teresa et al. However, there's a difference between being saintly enough to simply have no conciousness of money along with perfect faith that whatever happens in one's life is God's will because one is doing God's work--as contrasted with the people that Linda referred to in her initial post. Those people go on and on about not caring anything about money. Why then is it their constant subject? Was it Shakespeare? "Methinks [the person] doth protest too much." Linda, in answer to your question, I'll refer you to one of Gary's favorite sayings, "Even a broken clock is right twice a day." With a nod to Mark's exceptions, I'd say your edited version of that quote is generally true. In fact, much of what Rand wrote may be true. I only meant to say that because I don't like her, I tend to reject the point someone is trying to make by quoting her even if it's valid. A case of guilty by association? Well, I'm not perfect either, so it's difficult to sort out the logic from the visceral reaction when it's a strong one. Perhaps Dave can help with this next scrambled quote, as my Scriptures seem to have wandered away from my desk: "By their works shall ye know them." St. Paul? Somewhere in Romans maybe. Cheri
+0
Sandra Cobb

57 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Money Isn't Important... (what do you think of this?)
6/23/2006 9:45:01 AM
I agree Dave... except... ----------------------------------- That is where the statement, properly quoted, "The love of money is the root of all evil," comes in. This applies not to those who simply recognize the importance of money as a valuable tool, but to those who put the pursuit of monetary gain ahead of everything else, including family, friends, and the rest of society. -------------------------------------- I think sometimes the pursuit of money ahead of other things is almost required at some points in our lives. To me, it depends on what is done with the money once it has been acquired amply enough to be considered wealth. The scriptures do not say that loving money is evil, but it is the "root" of all evil, which, to me means that, as with anything else, self moderation is the key to using money for good, or putting money above all else, or using money for self satisfaction at the expense of others - the root of evil in my opinion is simply stressing the importance of how one goes about spending the money and acquiring the money. Love of money can cause people to steal, commit fraud, and otherwise cheat others simply to acquire more money. Obviously that is evil. Earning money to help family and others is awesome. Tis more blessed to give than receive is another Biblical quote that could remedy the possible problem of loving money. As long as the rich bless others by giving back to society, then the riches are being used exactly as the universe intended them to be. I love money, I need money, and I deserve money!!
Live in Harmony. http://SandraCobb.com
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: Money Isn't Important... (what do you think of this?)
6/23/2006 9:53:22 AM
Sandra, The concept of wealth is a relative thing, as evidenced by the article that Jenny's link leads to. Interesting distinction you make, though about the difference between evil and the 'root' of evil. I'll have to think about that one. Cheri
+0
Gary Simpson

557 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
6/23/2006 11:02:44 PM
heh...heh...heh... Cheri that made me laugh... ============= "I'll refer you to one of Gary's favorite sayings, "Even a broken clock is right twice a day." ============= I DO say that - all the time. However, I hadn't realized that I had used it on this forum. How perceptive of you! I have been using Peter's dog poo comment a bit too. That makes people laugh - especially the way you say it. I have had some real fun with that (as I have mentioned before) We are indoctrinating one another. Gary
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!