Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Money Isn't Important... (what do you think of this?)
6/22/2006 4:00:20 PM
Hi; I read this article and thought it would make for some interesting conversation... “Money Isn’t Important to Me” REALLY? (by R.J. Elliot) When someone says, “Money isn’t important to me”, or “I don’t do it for the money”, you know they have no money. People who have earned their money and created wealth understand the importance of money. They would never say that money is not important. People who have inherited wealth or live off someone else’s hard work often don’t understand money – they might know how to spend it but not how to make it. Money is what pays for our food, clothing, transport, education, medical care and housing – how could it not be important? I talked with a man who told me that money is unimportant to him. I asked him who paid for the medical assistance he receives, the clean environment he enjoys, the fire trucks and ambulances and police that will arrive at his door within minutes should he dial 911… He replied that the government paid for it. I reminded him that the government got its money from producers and creators of value wealth in the form of exorbitant taxes. The government does not create wealth. Money is the barometer by which creators measure the value they produce. In a purely capitalist society, we are paid in direct proportion to the value we create. The amount of money earned by a union member has very little to do with the value created by that person. (Try using an airline with unionized employees and see how bad the service is.) In today’s society, we need to remember what money is all about. Often, the people who are the most greedy and lazy are the same ones that profess disinterest in money. The best description of money and capitalism I have found is in the “Money Speech”, written by Ayn Rand. Here’s an excerpt: "So you think that money is the root of all evil?" said Francisco d'Anconia. "Have you ever asked what is the root of money? Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value. Money is not the tool of the moochers, who claim your product by tears, or of the looters, who take it from you by force. Money is made possible only by the men who produce. Is this what you consider evil?” I create wealth by creating value. I am solely responsible for my life and lifestyle. I will not steal from others or ride on the backs of others. The dollar inspires and motivates me, by reminding me how fortunate I am to be in a position to create any amount of value I wish, in a free country. The only limits I face are self-imposed. What thinketh you? : ) Linda
+0
Tim
Tim Southernwood

839 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: Money Isn't Important... (what do you think of this?)
6/22/2006 4:23:31 PM
Hi Linda, Positive and powerful affirmations about the value of money. Very appropriate for the author (Elliot) to toss in the Ayn Rand quote, because I think a lot of people have been afraid to talk about the importance of money for fear of being misunderstood. That old adage "money is the root of all evil" has done more damage to our thinking that any other I can think of offhand. I love money, does that make me evil? I know the value of the money I earn because I work hard for it. I appreciate it's value and what it provides for me and my family. Great topic Linda! T
Tim Southernwood/Get eH² Packs!/BlogNet Awards We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit - Aristotle
+0
Alan Smith

157 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
6/22/2006 5:25:49 PM
Linda, As you have pointed out so well, many people misunderstand the importance of money. The also misquote the scripture, which actually says in 1 Timothy 6:10: For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. http://www.blueletterbible.org So, while we don't have to love money to make it work for us, we can certainly use money and Love people! Best of monetary success and many friendships to you!
Alan Smith, Your Guide to Being On-Purpose --------------------------- http://www.MyID.ws probably the best Identity Theft resource on the internet. ---- View the Movie: http://asmith.greatcareerplan.com View the Presentation!
+0
6/22/2006 5:34:08 PM
Hey Tim; ========== That old adage "money is the root of all evil" has done more damage to our thinking that any other I can think of offhand. ========== I agree. Too many people have a skewed idea that those who care about money are greedy & selfish - and those that don't care about money are somehow *above* all that nasty evil money thinking. They have it backwards. Not caring is what's greedy and selfish. Just one small example... Who's going to take care of the "I don't care about money" folks in their old age? Oh wait -- someone who DID care about money enough to put some away, right? Or wait - the government that they've complained about all their lives. : ) Linda
+0
Rudy Hiebert(rudyhiebert.myamsoil.c

1086 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Money Isn't Important...
6/22/2006 6:03:23 PM
Is money the most important, maybe that's the question. Money is only one of our resources and it takes balance to keep the priorities in place. It's common and easy to hear from those with money but what about those that can show how life can happen without the greed and hoarding just to accumulate more?
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!