Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: The Murder of the English Language
6/12/2006 2:01:40 AM
Hi Kate, My grandfather on my Mom's side used to say, "Those who feel compelled to use vulgarity and slang simply do not have an adequate grasp of the English language." =============================================== My favorite quote concerning this is Mark Twain's "Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." ================================================== As my grandmother on my Dad's side used to say, "Always be sure to put your brain in gear before letting out the clutch on your tongue!" God bless, Dave
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/12/2006 2:03:59 AM
Hi Mary, It is quite interesting to note also that people who have learned English as a second language in a non-English speaking country often surpass those born in an English speaking country in their ability to articulate and write in English. Perhaps we should hire them to teach English in our countries! God bless, Dave
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/12/2006 2:09:04 AM
Hi Lee Lu, Ask your youngster to put the following sentence through a computer spell checker: "There car is going to fast as their going around the too tunnels two the town over they're." Then ask your child to correct the sentence and prove that well taught humans are smarter and better able to write and spell than computers! God bless, Dave
+0
Jenny SJ

1902 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re :Re: The Murder of the English Language
7/9/2006 6:36:13 AM
Hi David, I've just found this thread and couldn't resist replying. Your comment ----------------------------------------------------------- "My grandfather on my Mom's side used to say, "Those who feel compelled to use vulgarity and slang simply do not have an adequate grasp of the English language." ----------------------------------------------------- made me laugh - my grandmother said that too- and she was right. Have U read the "chat speak" the kids (and some adults) are using on their computers and cell phones!!!! It's no wonder they can't spell. This is a worldwide problem - Spanish is being massacred too - we now have "feeling" instead of "sentimiento" and "fashion-victims" amongst many other items! - It is driving the Royal Academy of Spanish and all other literary institutions crazy. In the end we are going to end up speaking a mish mash of everything and the new generation won't be able to read classic literature in any language. They won't have the vocabulary! Saludos Jenny
+0
Ricardo Alcaraz

203 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
7/15/2006 7:05:17 AM

Good Point, Dave!

With the international possibilities the Internet makes available, I think a good service would be a way to learn and improve English for many from other countries.

Think that could be done here in Adlandpro?

Cheers!

Ricardo

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!