Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Winston Scoville

536 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Be a Person of your Word
4/29/2006 12:37:20 PM
Here's an interesting article that might be of interest. Especially as it relates to your online businesses. There is an adage my father used to tell me all the time - "You're only as good as your word." In other words, when it comes right down to it, it doesn't matter what you've SAID; what matters is what you DO. AN ILLUSTRATION This past week I've had two experiences where people have not kept their word, and I have to tell you, I was thoroughly frustrated by these. One of these experiences revolves around a printing job I am having done by a local printer. When I entered his print shop on October 15 to discuss my job and sign on with him, he IMPRESSED me. I explained what I wanted, and he told me he would call me the next day with a cost estimate for the job. I left the premises HAPPY. The printer had said all the right things. THE WAY NOT TO DO IT I didn't receive a call the next day. On day three I called to FOLLOW-UP. He said he had not gotten to my estimate, but would call me the next day (day four). No call day four; no call day five. On the following Monday, I called AGAIN to follow up on the status of the estimate. I was told by the assistant that the printer was out of town until Wednesday. I was no longer happy. WORKING TOWARD A LOST SALE When the printer returned, we discussed the matter and the estimate, and we set a date of November 2 for me to pick up my print job. I wrote it down on my calendar. I called the day before to make sure the print job would be finished the next day as arranged. He had NOT started the job because he thought he had another week to do it. I still don't have my job. ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES Why am I telling you all of this? Because this printer did not keep his word, and I will not use him again. He has lost all my FUTURE business. PROTECTING YOUR REPUTATION Gaining the trust of your customers is hard. In the end, your word is the only thing you have to gain CREDIBILITY with your customers. If you conduct your business with the INTEGRITY to do what you say you are going to do, then you will build a base of loyal customers. Why? Because you will be providing a higher level of customer service than the majority of your competitors, and you will stand out from the crowd. The original article can be found Here Thoughts? Comments??
+0
Gary Simpson

557 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Be a Person of your Word
5/1/2006 8:43:11 PM
Hi Winston, Thanks for posting that. I have lost count of the number of times that so-called business people have done this to me. They promise the world, take your money and deliver as little as possible. And they will not act on complaints. They close ranks and become aggressive. Pathetic really. Oddly enough some of the worst offenders have also been in the printing industry. But I have also had woeful "service" in banking, settlement agents, real estate agents and others. I'm glad to know other people have had similar experiences. I was beginning to think that I was the common denominator. Regards Gary
+0
Winston Scoville

536 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
5/2/2006 9:03:11 PM
Hi Gary, ------------------------ I have lost count of the number of times that so-called business people have done this to me. They promise the world, take your money and deliver as little as possible. And they will not act on complaints. They close ranks and become aggressive. Pathetic really. -------------------------- The funny thing is when these people try to contact you down the road. They're desperate to make a sale to you and go through the same process again and honestly expect you to buy from them. DUH!!!! You're definitely not the only person with those experiences! lol
+0
Gary Simpson

557 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
5/2/2006 9:30:18 PM
Hi Winston, I remember two instances where people who gave me shocking treatment then came back to ask for more business. First, it was about 1985 when I wanted to buy a couple of thousand of dollars worth of shares. I rang a stockbroker and was told that if I didn't want to spend a minimum of $5,000 that he wasn't interested. He said it sneeringly too. Several years later when the bottom fell out of the sharemarket this very same person called me to see if I was interested in buying some shares off him. You can guess what I said. Second, I got some very poor treatment and service from a local printer. I won't go into it but you would be amazed that anybody could stay in business treating customers the way that they did. Some months later they sent me a discount voucher and a brochure telling me how wonderful their service was and that as a "valued customer" I should come in and do more business with them. Well, if it wasn't a glossy brochure you can guess what I wanted to do with that piece of paper. The CRAZY thing is these companies ALREADY HAD my business. Through poor service, rudeness, arrogance and sheer stupidity they drove me away. I have many other examples and I'm sure that others do too. Regards Gary
+0
5/3/2006 10:04:48 PM
Hi: ====================================== There is an adage my father used to tell me all the time - "You're only as good as your word." In other words, when it comes right down to it, it doesn't matter what you've SAID; what matters is what you DO. ====================================== Yup. My favorites are 'talk is cheap' and 'don't tell me, show me." Of course, in saying that, my ears are burning because I'm so gosh darn late getting the next part of the course to you, Cheri, and the test group. In a strange way, it's my work ethic that has me so darn behind on course. I have a couple of high maintenance jobs right now that have me swamped above the eyeballs and I don't want them to feel like they're paying and getting poor service. But, I'm close... *this* close. Just so you know. lol. : ) Linda Incidentally, I think you used the same printer I have. lol.
+0