Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: When To Raise Your Prices, Without Feeling Evil About It
4/27/2006 5:52:47 PM
Interesting perspective Cheri. I don't totally agree that you get more out of something if you pay more for it. Of all the marketing ebooks I have purchased, I haven't read my most expensive one yet. I don't necessarily think that you really "get what you pay for" in this world. Some people overcharge and just cause resentment in their customers when they realize that they didn't get their value for whatever the product was. Take the price of gasoline for example. Do we value it more now because the prices have gone up or do we resent the companies making windfall profits off of us? Another example is massage therapists and what they charge. I have been to three different ones. They all charge the same hourly rate. I have returned to the one who did the best job on me. She didn't need to charge more than the others in order for me to think I was being better served. She was the one I chose to keep because she seemed to have the most talent in her chosen profession. Just some thoughts on the subject from my perspective. DonnaZ
+0
Amanda Martin-Shaver

2587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/27/2006 6:00:41 PM
Hi Cheri, Thank you for obtaining permission to publish this very interesting article. I agree with Arthur, we do not put enough value in ourselves. Unfortunately many employers do not put enough value in their employees either, they will employ the person with the most qualifications, experience etc but not want to pay them for this, or keep them working right up to finish time, offer no incentatives, no insurance, unless you pay for it out of your own pocket - Well that has been my personal experience! Working a JOB (Just over broke, or Just on Broke) has less appeal to many and this one of the many reasons why many of us are trying to work for ourselves. Thanks for sharing. Kind regards Amanda Martin-Shaver
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
4/27/2006 11:49:34 PM
Donna, Of course you're right...in many ways the blanket statements in this article overstate the case. And after all, the best things in life are free, right? I've never had to pay my grandsons for a hug, for example. Here's what I've found in my business, though. I am a real estate broker, and in an industry where millionaires are made, I don't make a living that would completely support my family of two. Not because I'm not a good Realtor, but because of my pricing. That's because when I became a broker, I was still tilting at windmills. I thought then and I still think that it doesn't make sense to charge one amount to a person whose house is below average value and three times that amount to a person whose house is average, when the work I do to sell each house is exactly the same! So I decided to charge a flat rate. A very affordable flat rate. So affordable, in fact, that many people believe it's simply too good to be true. I lose those customers because they don't believe I will do as good a job for that price as someone who charges four times as much. It also prevents me from re-investing in my business, taking high-end listings that need costly advertisement, and hiring agents to help in my business (they want more money). That's why I was contemplating this very subject when the article caught my eye. So, while I take your point and to a large extent agree, I still feel the article has validity. Thanks for your perspective. Cheri
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
4/27/2006 11:58:12 PM
Amanda, I can certainly relate to your feelings on this matter. I think I've posted my husband's situation so often that people are tired of it, but I keep harking back to the discouragement he felt when, even as one of the most highly-valued employees in the company, he was asked to take a substantial pay cut to keep the company in business. Once you are disgruntled over this situation, literally everything irritates you, and soon you're just desperately unhappy in the job. Fortunately, despite my previous post, I have finally persuaded him that the 'security' we get from that job is not worth the stress. He has given plenty of advance notice that he's leaving in August. Another reason to raise my prices, lol. Cheri PS To be true to my other passion, I do have to add that this is not the recommended route if you have debt and/or no savings. Sometimes patience is a virtue.
+0
Arthur Webster

600 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
4/28/2006 10:40:12 AM
Hi, Cheri, The Real estate market in Spain is currently in a bit of a slump. The reasons for this are immaterial BUT the people who are making the most out of a smaller market are those who did not reduce their prices to try to compete. No matter what people are buying - THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A CHEAP PROFESSIONAL! The minute you start to adjust your price you simply become a trader, a shop keeper or middle man - at least, that is the perception of the potential client. Ask yourself this, if you had a choice of two surgeons for a critical operation - would you really choose the cheapest one? Regards
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!