Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Saying "No" When It's Not That Easy!
4/2/2006 11:10:52 PM
Everyone likes the idea of saying "no" more often, at least in theory. But, when it comes to actually doing it, I hear a lot of "yes, buts." In other words, "yes, I could say no to that, but then who would do it?" or "yes, I could say no to that, but then my boss would be upset with me and I might not get a promotion." Why is it so hard to say "no" to others? Most of us experiencing success in our careers have learned one lesson really well--if you want to advance, you have to be willing to do the work. Translation, say "yes" to opportunities that come your way--you never know where it will lead. Well, look where that has led you. . . right to reading this article, looking for a solution to managing your busy life! "Emotional Payoffs" The truth is, we are much better at saying "yes" than we are at saying "no." Saying "yes" is easy, even if it means more stress and frustration down the road. When you say "yes," the person asking something of you smiles, thanks you, and you are left feeling as though you have pleased someone. There's a lot of emotional payoff in that. Saying "no" is not immediately gratifying to us. Although rationally we know that saying "no" will mean we will feel less stressed in the future, when we say "no," we may feel guilty about disappointing the person who has made a request of us. Or, we may fear the consequences of saying "no." What's so good about that? Not much. That's why simply telling yourself to say "no" more often is not a very effective means of managing your busy life and career. "What Are You Sacrificing?" So, what's the alternative? Contemplate saying "yes" with awareness of what the "no" is in every "yes." For every task or project we agree to do, we are saying "no" to something else. If I agree to take emergency on-call tonight at work, I am saying "yes" to being a team player and helping out in a pinch. But, chances are I will get called to handle an emergency and I am saying "no" to going to the gym after work, time with my husband, an uninterrupted dinner, and a good night's sleep. I also am saying "no" to being alert and productive tomorrow at work. I will make it through the next day, but I won't be as effective as I could be with my clients. And, I won't have much energy for my friends or family the next evening after work. Having awareness of what is really at stake when I say "yes" makes it much easier to make selective, thoughtful decisions to say "no." By the way, saying "no" selectively does not make you a poor team player. There's more than one way to be a good team player! In the example I shared, if I say "no" to on-call that night, the next day I am more present and effective with my clients and colleagues. This also is a quality of a good team player. There will be other times when I say "yes" to taking on-call in a pinch, but the circumstances in my life may be different. Perhaps at that time, I am well-rested, have been to the gym the day before, and had some quality time with my husband recently. So saying "yes" to this additional responsibility does not mean I will lose out in other important areas of my life. Try this over the coming week: Each time you are presented with a new opportunity, project, or task, ask yourself, "what am I saying 'no' to by saying 'yes' in this situation?" Write this question on a sticky note and put it where you will see it often. Being fully aware of our choices allows us to make choices congruent with our goals, values, and life purpose. This brings us closer to a sense of balance. By: Sabrina Schleicher, Ph.D. Marilyn L. Ali
Marilyn L Martin
"The ALP & TGAMM Couple"
"Rick & Marilyn Martin...Married 11/17/06"
Spiderweb Marketing http://thespiderwebsystem.com/jamila

Traffic Tornado
http://traffictornado.com/x/p2.cgi/6053/

+0
Danny Mills

302 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Saying "No" When It's Not That Easy!
4/3/2006 1:03:33 AM
Excellent Advice that every one should use in every day life. Thank you very much I sent it to my daughters for future use. Dan
+0
4/3/2006 1:18:09 AM
great post i have to say yes many times i use it some times its good and some times i did'nt have good results lol but as you say if i dont say it they never going to know
Alfred Delgado
+0
4/3/2006 7:33:56 AM
Hi Marilyn :) thanks for sharing, great post, great advice as usual, take care :)
+0
Sam
Sam Sugden

209 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
4/3/2006 10:19:56 AM
hi marilyn another great forum,thanks for the invite
Sammy Your welcome to add me to the following chat programmes,to chat,help each other and be friends. Skype ferndale35 MSN samanddavid@hotmail.co.uk Yahoo sam1gfu@yahoo.co.uk Email sammiraclematrix@gmail.com
+0