Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
What the Heck's an Autoresponder?
1/30/2006 7:57:34 PM
So, What the heck's an Autoresponder? ... and how do I use it? by Dave Cottrell What is an autoresponder? Simply put, it is a tool that automatically sends out email messages according to the parameters programmed into it. That may sound complicated, but it's really very simple. Unless you're a hard-nosed programmer type with lots of time, you will use an autoresponder that's already set up. The simplest one you'll ever use is the one that comes with your email program. While you can use it to send ads to everyone who emails you (NOT recommended!), it would normally be used to acknowledge receipt of a message when you are not there to read it (commonly called a Vacation Response). You simply type in the message you want to be sent out, save it, and you're done. Once you turn it on, it will send out your message to everyone who sends an email to you at that address. Virtually all autoresponders work the same basic way, but not all are created equally. In this article, we are going to talk about autoresponders used for internet advertising, and the proper way to use them. With them, you can send out several messages to a list all at once. Free autoresponders are NOT recommended. They usually add their advertising to every message you send out, and do not allow you to import leads. The ONLY way you can get leads into such a system is to use Lead Capture Pages (LCP), pages where visitors fill out their information and email address to Opt In to your list. This is a very safe way to market, but requires you to drive a LOT of traffic to your LCP. The first rule for successful use of an autoresponder is to pay for it! It does not have to be expensive (the one we use is dirt cheap and works great). When shopping for an autoresponder, make sure you are allowed to IMPORT LEADS. This simply means that you are allowed to purchase leads from a REPUTABLE source and load them into your autoresponder. With most systems, it is a very simple process (cut and paste or browse and click). Check the NUMBER of CONTACTS you can import into your system daily and total. Some systems only allow up to 5,000 or less total, which in today's market, may as well be zero. With good leads you will get results with 5,000 or less, but they will still be very slow results. As your campaign grows and gains momentum, you want to keep the momentum building by adding more leads. Make sure the company advertises that it is CAN-SPAM compliant! This will help ensure that your campaigns run smoothly without being shut down for violations. Also, make sure the autoresponder company has a policy for protecting you for spam complaints. A good company will do all they can to protect you from false complaints. BEWARE! If the company has a warning placing the onus on YOU to avoid all spam complaints, don't use them! They will probably cancel your account the first time someone complains no matter how false the claim may be. Once you have an autoresponder, you need to set it up. Don't let this scare you off! It's very simple. Click the link. Fill in the blank. Confirm. Next, put in the messages you want to send out. You want to be able to put in fifteen or more FOLLOWUP messages set to go out at intervals you set after your initial message. If you are an affiliate or member of a downline organisation, you will usually be able to download a series of messages from either the parent company or your upline. A good autoresponder will allow you to personalize your messages with your own name, a special tag that will automatically fill in your contact's name, your contact information, etc. MAKE SURE your name and contact information is in every email you send out! This is the law! Regardless of the prewritten messages you might be using, make sure the first one is an introductory message. On the first contact, even if the contact has come in through your special Lead Capture Link (comes with your autoresponder), you don't want to do any advertising. You MAY include a link at the end of your email or in a postscript (PS) after your contact information, but you main goal in the first letter is to introduce yourself and let the contact know WHY you are emailing them. It is important to include the fact that they ASKED for information (either on your site, or on a LEAD GENERATION SITE owned by the company you bought your leads from. Legitimate lead companies use a lead generation site where the contact voluntarily fills out a questionaire asking for information on getting into business, building a business online, etc.). You need to include this information in your first email, AND you have to make it clear that they can opt out any time they like. The leads we use have AT LEAST firstname, lastname, email address, i.p. address, and date of optin. Let the contact know in the FIRST email (and all of them if you like - we do) that you have this information. It's much less likely that you will receive even a false complaint if you make it clear that you have this information. (And you should NEVER buy or use leads without this information.) The return address you use in your autoresponder messages should be a dedicated email address set up only for the autoresponder. You want to check that address at least daily to manually remove anyone who requests removal without using the unsubscribe link in the autoresponder message. NEVER MIND how simple it would be for them to simply click that link; you are REQUIRED to remove anyone who asks. It's a very good idea to use adtracking for the links you advertise in your autoresponder. Most autoresponder services offer adtracking as part of their service. Once again, it's as simple as click, fill in the blank, confirm. You put the URL you want to track in the blank, confirm, and you are given a special link to put in your messages instead of the original link. You will then be able to generate a click report to see how many times the link was clicked. This will tell you that your clicks are coming from your autoresponder messages rather than some other source. It's a great way to measure the response your campaign is generating. (We highly recommend the autoresponder service offered at Adlandpro ) God bless, Dave
+0
Re: What the Heck's an Autoresponder?
1/30/2006 8:16:05 PM
Hi Dave, Great forum! I used to use an autoresponder with one of my former businesses that I got through the company. The problem was is that I was buying the cheapest leads I could find. I was getting a lot spam complaints, even though technically it wasn't spam because I had the Remove Me link on it. It is real important to find good leads for autoresponders. I will check out the Adland autoresponder. I have been thinking about using one again. Once again, thanks for all the great info Best Wishes, Ezra Wantuch
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/30/2006 8:36:37 PM
Hi Ezra, Thank you for posting. With the Adlandpro autoresponder, as with any autoresponder, read the rules very closely before you use it. Furthermore, don't even waste your money on cheap leads. Most of them will never reach their recipients. The best ones are always ones you have personally generated, but you can also buy lower quantities of higher quality autoresponder leads from reputable companies as long as the autoresponder company allows you to import leads. Always remember to include full and accurate contact information in each email, as well as an unsubscribe link. God bless, Dave
+0
Leon Horton

444 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
1/30/2006 8:46:34 PM
Hey Dave, I am glad you provided the ad for AdlandPro's autoresponder here. I am not in a position to use one as yet, because I don't have a list yet. I will look into theirs when I am in the market for one. One day I will get started building that all important list, but for now I have other fish to fry. I'm still learning all this important online stuff. Thanks again, Leon
+0
1/30/2006 8:54:00 PM
Great post dave. I use them. Oee for Momswin And one from the Leadstore If I upgrade, I can use them with my Veretekk system too. But don't forget.. Adlandpro also have autoresponders. Anyone use them here? Do you Dave?
Don't delete my cookies, They're YUMMY!!
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!