Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GENIUS RECLAIMED: WILLIAM-ADOLPHE BOUGUEREAU
2/24/2015 11:36:15 PM
Hello Miguel,
How pleased I am that I fulfilled my promise to visit.
These works of art are breathtaking in their execution.
Here is an artist who not only mastered his art but shared his obvious love of women with his audience and who brought so much of their character out. A great artist not only manages to bring the thoughts and moods of his model to his viewer but has to be able to enable his model to present the mood and attitude that he wants to portray. Bouguereau is a true master of these things.
A huge collection of delights and portrayed in a variety of ways that remind us of the great religious painters and show us that he was also not afraid to brighten his palette.
I note how cleverly he changed his backgrounds, for example, in Rest in Harvest the subject is IN THE SETTING where as in the later In Rest the subject is placed in front of the landscape much in the manner of a studio photograph. I note that he makes definite decisions whenever he brings us a subject.
By placing the subject in the landscape his resulting feel is very different from the way that his model dominates when he lightens and pushes his background back.
We often forget the importance of shadows in visual art. In the impressionists world light and shade were very much part of the composition but in more naturalistic works like most of these we forget that if the shadows were to be overlooked the work would lose all depth. Shadows and highlights are very obvious in the folds of clothes and drapes and we tend to notice them but when we look at a pale skinned and well lit figure like in The Wave the subtle darks and tones are wonderful.
I'm so glad that I called into your wonderful forum and read your conversations with Joyce.
I do miss my visits and forums but I seem to have filled my time elsewhere since my computer failures. Now I have a new laptop life is fuller again.
Roger
+3
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/25/2015 11:32:49 PM
Dear Roger,

I wish I were less involved with my other interests here, as I would have commented earlier your post and most probably done it better.

Actually there is so little that I can add to it. Suffice it to say it not only is a wonderful compendium involving the most important elements in realist painting but has also opened my eyes to the role of backgrounds and shadows in it.

It is beyond saying that I infinitely appreciate your visiting and posting particularly at this time. Not only the three masterworks you have mentioned but all others in it and, for that matter, any paintings worth mentioning I will be seeing with new eyes from now on.

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+3
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/26/2015 12:42:59 AM
This is what I have missed - the two of you adding your reflections from different angles so that the whole comes more into focus.
... clip art 0 1 mpix 352 x 284 px download clip art 0 5 mpix 787 x
+3
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/11/2015 1:49:00 AM

Dear friends, I would love to post a few of Bouguereau's latest works that I have especially selected for you now that we are about to close this thread. Let me begin with a wonderful masterpiece that incorporates most of this genius' top artistic qualities.

William Bouguereau - Admiration (also known as "L'Admiration")
(oil on canvas, 1897)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/11/2015 2:14:35 AM

These other three master works are simply outstanding. I lack the words to describe and do them justice.

William Bouguereau - Reflection
(oil on canvas, 1898)

William Bouguereau - Before the Bath
(oil on canvas, 1900)

William Bouguereau - Waiting
(oil on canvas, 1902)

+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!