Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: 17th century Spanish painter Diego Velazquez, a giant of Western art
2/17/2014 1:27:52 PM
What a superb talent.
Thank you Miguel.
A great subject.
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/18/2014 2:09:24 AM

You are welcome, Roger. My question now is: what was Velazquez painting between 1627-28, i. e. from the time he had been portraying both king Felipe IV and the Infante Carlos standing, and 1631, when he retook portraying them and other royalties but now mostly in different stanzes, for example on horseback?

The answer is he, surely as a response to the criticism of his rivals at the court that he was a mere portraitist and unable to compete "in the lofty sphere of history painting", produced what would become two of his most celebrated works ever: The Triumph of Bachus ("Los Borrachos") painted circa 1629, shown below, and The Forge of Vulcan - painted in 1630, and which I show in my next post.

Diego Velazquez - The Triumph of Bachus
(oil on canvas, c.1629)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/19/2014 1:50:15 AM

So here is Velazquez's other main work painted in 1830: The Forge of Vulcan, in which "a radiant Apollo informs Vulcan that his wife, Venus, is making out with Mars" (1), (2). See down below the studio Velazquez made for the head of Apollo in 1630 as well.

Diego Velazquez - The Forge of Vulcan
(oil on canvas, 1630)

Diego Velazquez - Study for the head of Apollo
(oil on canvas, 1630)

(1) There is a third painting, Joseph's Bloody Coat Brought to Jacob, which I show in my next post despite of the fact that it is, at least to me, inferior.

(2) Note that both The Triumph of Bachus (in my previous post) and The Forge of Vulcan were executed during Velazquez first expedition to Italy, where he went to learn mainly perspective but also, the use of light from the masters. Judging by the results in these two works, however, it seems to me it was he who taught them or, at least, that he learned pretty fast.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/20/2014 2:07:46 AM

The other masterpiece painted in Italy was Joseph's Bloody Coat Brought to Jacob. In it, the wicked brothers, appropriatedly scolded by a wise spaniel, pretend grief before their devastated father. While the perspective in this painting has been critizised as clumsy, it was a solution Velazquez found in the checkered tiles of the floor and simple as it was, it worked.

Diego Velazquez - Joseph's Bloody Coat Brought to Jacob
(oil on canvas, 1630)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/22/2014 5:02:56 PM

Dear friends, I would like to make a pause at this point: there is a work painted by Velazquez between 1626 and 1627 which, although may be considered a minor one, certainly deserves to be showcased before going on.

Diego Velazquez - Head of a Stag
(oil on canvas, 1626 - 1627)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!